Quote Originally Posted by andyt
San Bernardino Ca. proposed some similar laws. Haven't heard what happened. Has anyone?
I only glanced at it...but it appears to be identical to what I wrote for San Bernardino, save for the fact that they have excluded some parts that apparently aren't applicable for their city (i.e. day laborer centers).

This is fantastic as this was exactly what I was hoping to see happen. I wanted other communities and activists to duplicate my efforts.

Where we stand in San Bernardino...wow...okay.

A "resident" hired a top elections attorney who wrote a letter stating that he believe that the signatures I gathered did not adequately meet the threshold required to qualify for the ballot. His argument is that since there was an election for Mayor after I submitted my Notice of Intent to Circulate and before I turned in my petitions, that my signature requirement changed. Since, the election that occured during my signature gathering time period had significantly higher turnout than the last election before I turned in my paperwork, they argue that my signatures are too few in number and that an election should not be called.

The city council, although required by its own charter, refused to set an election date even though this attorney merely presented his opinion and threatened to sue if an election date was set. As you probably know, the council voted against adopting the initative 4-3, so I am sure you are not surprised when I tell you that the council voted 3-3 (twice) on setting an election date with one of the council members who opposed the initiative absent.

The city has filed a petition for Declaratory Relief requesting a judge to hear the matter. This will occur on the 23rd. Keep your fingers crossed.