Hazleton Mayor: Accused Killer in U.S. Illegally

By Andy Palumbo and Jim Murdoch

5:56 p.m. EDT, October 10, 2011
More than two days after a deadly shooting in Hazleton, there is still no sign of the man police believe to be responsible.

Hazleton Mayor Joe Yannuzzi said this is a crime that never should have happened, because the suspect, a man from Mexico, was in the country illegally.

There is a warrant out for the arrest of Rafael Gonzalez.

Police said he is the one who shot Cesar Robles in the back.

It happened early Saturday morning at a home on East Chestnut Street in Hazleton.

Police said Gonzalez sexually assaulted a woman while her two young children slept next to her, and while her husband was asleep in another room.

On the way out of the house, Gonzalez encountered the woman's uncle, Cesar Robles. That's when the deadly shooting took place. Robles was shot in the back.

Neighbors are worried about the violence in their part of the city.

"Too close to home, it's too close to home. I hear about them happening all over Hazleton. I've gotten used to that part, but this is too close," said Yvonne Miles.

"I'm not a violent person. I moved out of a rough neighborhood to this neighborhood thinking that it's going to be a different environment, but I guess I'm having second thoughts now," said Andre Brady.

Luzerne County District Attorney Jackie Musto Carroll confirmed the suspect, the sex assault victim, and the murder victim, were all here illegally.

Because prosecutors have identified the suspect, Rafael Gonzalez, as being an illegal immigrant from Mexico, both the current mayor of Hazleton Joe Yannuzzi and the former mayor, now Congressman Lou Barletta, call this a crime that should have never happened.

"This is our fourth murder and this one here is from an illegal whose been in Hazleton for two years and that's the biggest problem," said Mayor Joe Yannuzzi.

"The failure of the federal government to enforce existing immigration law has tragic consequences, this time in the form of rape and murder in front of children. Taxpaying Americans will have to pay for the investigation, search, prosecution, and jailing of an illegal alien. Until the federal government starts enforcing existing immigration law, tragedies like this will be repeated, and innocent citizens will continue to pay the price," said Congressman Lou Barletta in a statement to Newswatch 16.

"Don't take this as a mark against the citizens of Hazleton. They were tainted by somebody who does not even belong here," added Yannuzzi.

Authorities believe Gonzalez has been here for about two years.

Gonzalez is considered armed and dangerous. ;; Police warn you should not approach Gonzalez, but you should call police if you see him.

www.wnep.com