Hazleton mayor visits Adams Republicans
By ERIN JAMES
Evening Sun Reporter

Article Launched:08/24/2007 11:46:45 AM EDT

One of the nation's most controversial figures on the issue of illegal immigration, Mayor Lou Barletta of Hazleton, told an invitation-only crowd of 50 local Republicans that he was standing up for what he believes in.

Barletta spoke to the Adams County Republican Committee on Thursday, the same day his city filed an appeal in the Third Circuit Court of Appeals to overturn a federal judge's ruling against Hazleton's illegal immigration ordinances.

Barletta has attracted national attention during the past year for the city's laws against employing and harboring illegal aliens.

The mayor told the audience he would take his fight to the country's highest court if necessary.

"I am standing up for what I believe in," Barletta said. "I'm fighting back because my city is worth fighting for."

The city's Illegal Immigration Relief Act sought to impose fines on landlords who rent to illegal immigrants and deny business permits to companies that give them jobs.

Following a nine-day trial, U.S. District Judge James Munley ruled in July that the act was pre-empted by federal law and would violate due process rights.

Barletta had pushed for the strict laws last summer after two illegal immigrants were charged in a fatal shooting. The Republican mayor argued that illegal immigrants purchased drugs, crime and gangs to the city of more than 30,000, overwhelming police and schools. Charges against the illegal immigrants were later dropped.

Hispanic groups and illegal immigrants in Hazleton sued over the new laws, denouncing the measures as racist and divisive.

On Thursday, Barletta denied accusations that Hazleton's laws were drafted with racist intentions, insisting that he is protecting Hispanic residents.

"It is legal Hispanics who are affected the most," he said. "I'm fighting for them as well."

The majority of them support his efforts and denounce the activities of illegal immigrants, Barletta said.

"They moved to Hazleton to get away from that," he said.

Barletta said he disagrees with the judge's assertion that no one is considered an illegal alien until the government determines them as such.

"They are illegal the first foot they step on American land," he said, a statement for which he received a standing ovation.

The federal government is not doing a sufficient job of addressing the issue of illegal immigration, so local communities are being forced to do it, Barletta said.

Eliminating the incentives of illegally emigrating to America are a necessary method of solving the problem, Barletta said.

"It's about welcoming them from the front door and not the back door," he said.

Still, the mayor said he didn't expect to become a controversial figure.

"I never anticipated what was going to happen," he said.

If given the opportunity to do anything differently, Barletta said after the meeting that he would have worked with and included more Hispanic leaders.

"I've learned that you need to make sure they understand what you're doing," he said.

At the conclusion of Barletta's speech, state Rep. Dan Moul, R-Conewago Township, asked the mayor if he had thought about running for governor - a question that inspired a standing ovation from some members of the crowd.

"I'll give that consideration," he replied.

Contact Erin James at ejames@eveningsun.com.

All contents © Copyright 2007 The Evening Sun or other copyright holders.

http://www.eveningsun.com/localnews/ci_6709199