Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hazleton urged to identify donors of legal fund

http://www.timesleader.com/mld/timesleader/15934867.htm

Posted on Sun, Nov. 05, 2006
    Hazleton urged to identify donors of legal fund
    City’s legal fund has received $32,152.60 to defend immigration ordinances.
    By STEVE MOCARSKY smocarsky@leader.net

HAZLETON – City officials are breaking the law by refusing to identify all donors who made contributions to the city’s Legal Defense Fund, an attorney says.

Hazleton’s Legal Defense Fund, which had a balance of $32,152.60 as of Friday, is a city account set up to help defray legal costs associated with defending the Illegal Immigration Relief Act and English Only ordinances that catapulted Mayor Lou Barletta and the city into the national spotlight in June.

Times Leader attorney Ralph Kates said city officials should provide a list of the individuals who contributed to the fund.

The immigration ordinance punishes landlords who rent to and companies that employ illegal immigrants. The other ordinance prohibits the use of any language other than English for official city business, except in certain circumstances.

The Times Leader on Oct. 24 requested to review the financial records for contributions the city received to the defense fund.

In addition to the total amount contributed to the fund, a reporter asked to review “any list of contributors and the amounts of their individual contributions to the defense fund account,” and “any legal bills (received) in relation to defense of the Illegal Immigration Relief Act.”

Jarrod Tranguch, an attorney working for city solicitor Chris Slusser, responded in a letter dated Nov. 1 that the city would provide a list of the amounts of all donations received, and the city/town and state of each donor.

The city would also include the names of organizations, elected officials and public officials that made contributions and the amounts, Tranguch wrote.

The city is compiling this information, and Tranguch anticipates it will be available on or before Nov. 10, he wrote.

But Tranguch maintains that the state Right to Know Law excludes mandatory release of any record or document, access to or publication of which would prejudice or impair a person’s reputation or personal security. He cited case law he said defines “personal security” as “freedom from harm, danger, fear or anxiety.”

“If the names and other identifying information on the checks were accessible or publicized, those people would be expected to be subject to harassment, intimidation, verbal abuse and possibly physical harm from those who oppose the Ordinance or the City’s position on illegal immigration,” Tranguch wrote.

Tranguch said disclosing the names of donors could prejudice or impair their reputations because “those who have been in favor the Ordinance and the City’s position on illegal immigration have been improperly labeled by opponents as racists and bigots.”

Tranguch added that allowing access to “the requested checks” would be disseminating “private information including: individuals’ names, addresses, phone numbers, financial institutions and checking account numbers.”

Kates said the newspaper did not ask to see the checks people sent to the city, and that Tranguch’s letter “was not responsive to the request.”

Kates said the Right to Know Law guarantees that municipal accounts are open to the public.

“The names of contributors to this fund are public because the account is a fund of the city of Hazleton, and municipal accounts are public under Pennsylvania law,” Kates said.

“The public has a right to know who puts money in, who takes it out and what it’s used for.”

Kates noted that the law allows for information such as bank account numbers to be redacted from any list of contributors the city has, or if no list is available, from the checks themselves.

Kates said the newspaper would file exceptions to the city’s denial of the names of private contributors within 15 days, as provided for by state law.

Tranguch also noted that city administrator Sam Monticello was unaware of the city receiving any legal bills in relation to the defense of the immigration ordinance lawsuit.

The suit was filed by private individuals and groups such as the American Civil Liberties Union and Puerto Rican Legal Defense and Education Fund.
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I guess I'm not much of a forward thinker. I made a contribution and never thought of this happening. I'm going to email the city of Hazleton now and ask them to hang tough. I can truly imagine myself getting hate mail/calls from the other side...

But Tranguch maintains that the state Right to Know Law excludes mandatory release of any record or document, access to or publication of which would prejudice or impair a person’s reputation or personal security. He cited case law he said defines “personal security” as “freedom from harm, danger, fear or anxiety.”

“If the names and other identifying information on the checks were accessible or publicized, those people would be expected to be subject to harassment, intimidation, verbal abuse and possibly physical harm from those who oppose the Ordinance or the City’s position on illegal immigration,” Tranguch wrote.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    I just sent this letter to the editor.

Editor:

Having just read the column 'Hazleton urged to identify donors of legal fund', I am once again amazed at the level the pro-illegal forces will stoop to intimidate and harass legal citizens who are fighting to have their towns protected from the scourge of illegal immigration.

There is absolutely NO valid reason to release the names of ANY private citizen who has donated their money to help Hazleton defend itself from this ridiculous lawsuit. The release of this information will undoubtedly lead to the harassment and vilification of those so named by the organizations that support and defend these lawbreakers. The illegal alien lobby has proven itself to be quite willing to use intimidation and threats of violence to further their goals of legalization for the 20 million or more people who are currently residing in this country in violation of it's laws.

You might find a more interesting story by demanding the donor lists of the PRLDEF and ACLU. I, along with many of your readers, would be interested in knowing how much money has been given to them by Big Business foundations and tax-exempt groups like La Raza. (The Race) It would be an eye-opener to see just who is supporting them in this fight.

XXXXXXX

Good idea pinestrawguys. I'll send a letter to the editor next. Is there a reporter out there who take up your idea about the ACLU -excellent.

And finally, sadly, I'm not going to give up contributing to these causes -but I guess I'm going to have to find an alternate way. Cashiers check?

I don't mind saying, I'm a bit nervous about this...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I donated already and I'll donate again. They can have my name in capital letters for all I care. These idiots won't supress me.
    if you do want to donate though and not even have a remote possibilty of your name being released, get a money order at a local convenient store. They cost about 60 cents. The money order has a line for your name but you could sign Mickey Mouse for all that matters.
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

I, too, donated and don't care if my name is shown. They don't care about us little people, they're looking for biggies. Bet that will be one huge long long long list of names.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Hazeleton Urged to identify donors of legal fund

I also donated to the Hazelton legal fund - I believe in what the ordinance is trying to accomplish. When I first read this article, my blood pressure began to rise immediately then my anger. I feel this is an attempt by the ACLU to intimidate those private citizens who are willing to support causes in which they believe. This is our constitutional right - not to be subjected to possible intimidation because of our willingness to take a stand on "legal" issues ( Excuse the pun.) I find it an affront to all American citizens who are willing and able to make a difference. What an ugly word "racism" is - the ACLU and other pro-illegal immigration use it with impunity when they are actually the "racists".

I got an e-mail asking me to donate. Do we also know who is financing the ACLU?
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

Okay guys, now I feel like a complete wimp!!

Banned
    I feel this is an attempt by the ACLU to intimidate those private citizens who are willing to support causes in which they believe.
    Grandmom, I think you are exactly right - this is intimidation by the ACLU. I also think they want to know exactly who their enemies are......not private citizens so much as whether organizations are involved. Isn't it interesting that the ACLU wants access to information where under any other circumstance they'd be screaming that this was a violation of our right to privacy and then probably sue?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast