There are excellent editorial type articles around today.

Comments are being left after this article at the source link.
~~~~~~~~

Heed the people's voice on immigration
JONATHAN VECCHI
Jonathan Vecchi is a student at Hofstra University.

June 15, 2007

In early 2006, I wrote a letter to a congressman regarding immigration reform, its seriousness and urgency. But it seems that my efforts, as well as those of countless others with the same ideas, have gone unheard. With the increasing border security issues, as well as the countless unknowns who have continued to walk our streets, many believed that Congress would develop a sensible bill quickly.

Now, one year later, this country seems no closer to a successful bill that pleases the majority of its citizens. With recent polls suggesting that close to half of voters are against the current bill, Congress should recognize that new plans need to be explored. The public is screaming for immigration reform. It seems as if our federal government is deaf to its cries. Congress should be developing bills with regard to its constituents' wishes instead of succumbing to the pressures of the increasing illegal population.

I do not mean to sound like an angry, ranting lunatic, but the lack of effectiveness on this issue is becoming ridiculous. With the recent capture of purported terrorists accused of wanting to kill many innocent people in and around Kennedy Airport, Congress should be reminded of the tasks that need attention to protect our nation.

We should all look back and realize that America is not immune to the terrorism that has become part of daily life in many other countries. The bottom line is that Congress and President George W. Bush need to begin listening to the voters while developing an agenda, for that is the reason we elect these officials in the first place.

http://www.newsday.com/search/ny-opnewb ... 6456.story