Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Helicopters hover over Oaxaca, sparking rumors troops may mo

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/10/ ... Unrest.php

Helicopters hover over Mexico's protest-torn Oaxaca, sparking rumors troops may move in
    The Associated Press

Published: October 1, 2006
    OAXACA, Mexico Protesters fortified street barricades and readied gasoline bombs Sunday as navy helicopters buzzed over this southern Mexican city, sparking rampant rumors that federal forces were planning to retake the area.

Several newspapers in Mexico's capital gave front-page coverage to photos of two navy helicopters and at least one military plane that flew low over central Oaxaca late Saturday.

A headline in the Mexico City daily Milenio proclaimed: "Preparations for war in Oaxaca."

Mexico City's El Universal newspaper reported that helicopters, planes and 15 troop trucks had assembled in Huatulco, a Pacific tourist getaway and military hub a short flight — but a long drive — from Oaxaca city.

A single helicopter flew low over Oaxaca's outskirts on Sunday.

An official who answered the phone at the Defense Department in Mexico City on Sunday said he had no details about the weekend flyovers or the reported buildup of forces in Huatulco.

Protesters responded to the flights by detonating hundreds of powerful firecrackers, which shook streets and historic buildings and further frayed nerves. Reinforcing barricades with bags of cement and tree trunks, they vowed to beat back any police and soldiers who moved on the city.

Streets were largely deserted on Sunday. Elsa Siguenza, a 73-year-old who ventured from her home to watch a helicopter speed by, said she hopes federal troops move in.

"Of course it's scary to see helicopters," she said. "But we need peace."

Oaxaca is normally a charming, colonial city famous for its exotic Mexican cuisine, colorful culture and nearby Pre-Hispanic ruins.

But in May, tens of thousands of teachers seized the capital's leafy central plaza to demand wage increases.

In June, Gov. Ulises Ruiz sent police to attempt to retake the heart of the city. Since then, thousands of leftists, students and anarchists have joined striking teachers, building street barricades, burning buses and taking over radio and television stations.

They demand that Ruiz resign, alleging that he rigged the 2004 election and uses paramilitary gangs to attack dissidents.

At least two people have been shot to death and dozens more injured in clashes between protesters and police. At night, protesters burn tires and stop and search vehicles for plainclothes state agents they say are sent to attack them.

President Vicente Fox's top Cabinet member, Interior Secretary Carlos Abascal, has personally overseen negotiations to end the standoff, but the federal government has said it will not force Ruiz to resign. Protesters maintain their demand that he leave office.

On Friday, Abascal indicated the situation was nearing a breaking point, saying "everything has its limit and the limit is close."

"It is urgent that (the protesters) stop kidnapping the heart of Oaxaca and its inhabitants," Abascal said.

Meanwhile, the city continues to slide toward chaos. Before dawn on Sunday, a man suspected of driving drunk crashed through a number of street barricades. Protesters hurled dozens of rocks at his vehicle and punched out all four tires. They detained him for hours before turning him over to authorities.

Nearby, gunshots could be heard, though their origin was unknown.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Hmmm....Mexico is having an .... UPRISING!

Hey Ilegales!!

GO HOME AND JOIN YOUR REVOLUTION!

Conquista!!

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    Hmmm....Mexico is having an .... UPRISING!

Hey Ilegales!!

GO HOME AND JOIN YOUR REVOLUTION!

Conquista!!

i think you mean reconquista

Well, no actually I did mean Conquista. Their Reconquista is up here in our country. I think they should go home, join the revolution and finish conquering their own country and leave ours alone.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    Well, no actually I did mean Conquista. Their Reconquista is up here in our country. I think they should go home, join the revolution and finish conquering their own country and leave ours alone.

too much, LOL
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I can understand and imagine the frustration the Mexican people must feel towards their government. Vicente Fox doesn't run a country, he runs a sad state of affairs.

They have a hard battle to fight in order to change their country for the better. Although I am against violence in the streets, my heart goes out to them in this struggle. I know that their case is justified.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)