Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hepatitis Exposes Over 2000 By Food Handler (illegal?)

http://sun.yumasun.com/artman/publish/a ... _17138.php

Hepatitis A fear overwhelming; More than 2,000 Yumans afraid of possible exposure to virus turn out for free shots

BY JONATHAN ATHENS
    Jun 9, 2005

People stand in line to receive free immune globulin shots from the Yuma County Health Department at the Yuma Civic and Convention Center early Wednesday afternoon. Photo by Jacob Lopez.
    Facing an onslaught of people concerned they may have been exposed to the hepatitis A infection, Yuma County officials on Wednesday night said they are close to running out of preventative treatment shots but said they are ordering thousands more.

"We're very close to running out (but) we're not sure we're going to run out," said Kevin Tunell, the county's legislative and public affairs director.

Tunell's statement came at the end of the first day the Yuma County Health Department opened its shot clinic to halt a possible outbreak of the illness.

Hundreds of people seeking free gamma globulin shots, antibodies that boost the immune system, began lining up as early as 8 a.m. at the Yuma Civic and Convention Center where the county health department opened its clinic.

County officials on Tuesday announced their plans to distribute the shots the remainder of this week and throughout next week after they learned a woman who worked as a food handler at a popular Yuma restaurant, Chile Pepper, had become infected with hepatitis A and taken ill.

Tunell said the health department initially ordered 2,000 vials and on Wednesday ordered another 3,000 vials, costing the county a combined total of approximately $175,000.

Tunell said he is certain the county will get the additional doses it ordered and will be "be able to handle everybody" going to the clinic today.

Acting Public Health Services Director Becky Brooks said the department will assess its supply daily and will order more from a California distributor as health department nurses continue giving shots.
    Each vial can treat the equivalent of two 200-pound persons, health department officials said.

By 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, health department officials estimated they had given approximately 1,000 shots, but by 6:15 p.m. when Tunell said the county could be running out of doses, he estimated public health nurses had given as many as 2,000 shots to those seeking them.

Brooks said the food handler, who is currently being treated at the Yuma Regional Medical Center, is recovering and no additional cases have been reported.

Officials estimated between 6,000 and 8,000 persons could have been exposed to the infection and said anyone who ate or drank at Chile Pepper, 1030 W. 24th St., between May 25 and June 2, may have been exposed.

Authorities have emphasized the infection did not originate at the restaurant and said the woman contracted the infection from an undetermined location elsewhere.

Though they said the prospects of someone being exposed were slim given the circumstances, health department officials said they could not take any chances.

Some of those getting the shot expressed their concerns, others took the situation in stride and everyone who spoke to The Sun said they would go back to eat at Chile Pepper.

Cass Reed, of Yuma, said: "Stuff happens. It's not a big deal."

Restaurants across Yuma have signs inside their restrooms that remind employees to wash their hands before returning to work. Photo by Jacob Lopez
    Reed, who ate at the restaurant once during the at-risk period, said her first thought upon hearing about the confirmed case was: "Better get in line and get it done."

Reed said she will go back to eat at the restaurant.

Kim Tillou, 50, of Yuma, said he was concerned about possibly being exposed for having dined at the restaurant one time during the at-risk time frame but he wasn't overly worried.

"It's not a big degree but it's a concern," said Tillou, who was standing in line with his 17-year-old son, Brady Tillou.

Brady Tillou, who works as a lifeguard and dines frequently at the restaurant, said of the county's mobilization, "At least they're taking the responsibility to give people shots and let people know what happened."

Cara Kinder, of Yuma, said she and her family ate take-out food from the restaurant.

"I realize things happen," Kinder said, adding she will probably dine again at the restaurant but will wait awhile before doing so.

Brandon Goldsberry, 24, said he was worried when he first heard news of the confirmed hepatitis case and concerned because he is a new father.

"I have a newborn and I wondered if I could pass it on to him," Goldsberry said.With his wife, Evelyn Goldsberry, 24, and their infant son Maddox, the three waited in line.

Goldsberry said he was "absolutely" concerned about the health department running out of shots.

"That's why we came so early," he said.

Regarding the restaurant, despite repeated statements by public health officials that the restaurant remains a safe place to patronize and has a good record, business at Chile Pepper is down considerably.

John Gutierrez, whose family owns the restaurant and two others in the area, said: "It's probably (down) by 80 percent."

The restaurant typically serves 1,200 to 2,000 people per day.

Gutierrez, whose family has been in the restaurant business for more than 50 years, said he is confident the community understands the circumstances and will come back.

"I have confidence in my customers. I'm sure they will come back," Gutierrez said, adding: "We have very loyal customers and they understand. Everyone I talk to says they'll be back."

The hepatitis scare also prompted the Yuma Regional Medical Center to advise those who purchased burritos made by Chile Pepper and sold at the hospital to follow the health department's instructions, according to a news release from YRMC.

The hepatitis A situation is the fourth public health concern to surface in the county in the last 30 days. The scare comes as health department workers are combatting mosquitoes carrying the West Nile virus, bracing for a whooping cough outbreak, and contending with rising tuberculosis rates.

---
    Jonathan Athens can be reached at jathens@yumasun.com or 539-6857.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I AM GOING TO KEEP SAYING IT. With all of this eventually comes
    MRSA
    FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

California or ground zero of the invasion
    Restaurants should just start advertising about giving free gamma globulin shots with your meals. That should get the crowds in. Most people I know love getting stuff for free.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

hepatitus

Quote Originally Posted by Brian503a
    Restaurants should just start advertising about giving free gamma globulin shots with your meals. That should get the crowds in. Most people I know love getting stuff for free.
    Brian,
    What a wonderful idea! It would be sort of like Happy Meal Prizes. Great ad campaign!
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

California or ground zero of the invasion

Re: hepatitus

Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    Brian,
    What a wonderful idea! It would be sort of like Happy Meal Prizes. Great ad campaign!
    McDonalds can run a television ad showing Ronald McDonald shooting up the kids with a hypodermic needle while they are eating their Big Macs. Yummy!

It would also be a great way for McDonalds to introduce their new thinner politically correct version of Ronald at the same time. Of course they need to have some illegal alien employees in the commercial showing they are a company of tolerance and diversity. While we are at it Ronald needs to speak Spanish for the non English speakers who are watching can understand what he is saying.

Re: hepatitus

Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    Brian,
    McDonalds can run a television ad showing Ronald McDonald shooting up the kids with a hypodermic needle while they are eating their Big Macs. Yummy!

It would also be a great way for McDonalds to introduce their new thinner politically correct version of Ronald at the same time. Of course they need to have some illegal alien employees in the commercial showing they are a company of tolerance and diversity. While we are at it Ronald needs to speak Spanish for the non English speakers who are watching can understand what he is saying.
    Oh no, not a spanish speaking Ronald McDonald! I would never, ever, go there again!