Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Heroin overdose 2 accused of selling drugs charged with mans

Heroin overdose
    2 accused of selling drugs charged with manslaughter

Saturday, November 17, 2007 3:42 AM
    By Kevin Mayhood

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
    Two men accused of selling a Grove City man the heroin that killed him have been indicted on charges of manslaughter.

This is the first time federal law has been used in Ohio to go after dealers for deaths their drugs caused, according to the U.S. attorney's office.

Such cases have been won in state courts, but if convicted in federal court, the indicted men face 20 years to life in prison, compared with the maximum 10-year sentence in state court.

"It's usually hard to prove who sold the drugs that resulted in death," Assistant U.S. Attorney David DeVillers said. "Without going into details, we can prove it in this case."

Law-enforcement agents say the number of people overdosing on heroin in Franklin County rocketed from seven in all of last year to 22 so far this year.

"There's been a large resurgence in heroin trafficking," said Steve Martin, chief deputy at the Franklin County sheriff's office. He said Mexican and South American immigrants have brought the heroin business to central Ohio.

The two men indicted are Mexican immigrants Jose Manuel Cazares Contreras, who has two aliases, and Victor Delgadillo Parra. Neither man entered the U.S. legally, authorities said. They are blamed for the death on Aug. 30 of Arthur A. Eisel IV, who was 30.

"There are more people using, and the purity is all over the board," DeVillers said of heroin. "You get some that's 20 percent pure and you can shoot up a lot. You get some that's 80 percent pure, and shoot up the same amount, and you're dead."

Contreras and Parra, whose ages were not available, were also indicted on seven counts involving the sale of heroin from August through Oct. 17.

They also could be sentenced to life in prison if convicted of either of two of those counts -- conspiracy for drug trafficking and having more than a kilogram (2.2 pounds) of cocaine for sale. They face a total of 100 years more if convicted of the remaining five drug counts, which all involve trafficking.

Attorneys for the men were not available yesterday to comment on the case.

An affidavit filed by the Drug Enforcement Agency says Contreras and Parra would deliver balloons filled with black-tar heroin, which is the popular form in South America, to buyers who called their cell phone.

A confidential source working with Grove City police called the number and arranged to meet Aug. 31 in the CVS parking lot at Demorest and Clime roads. He bought $100 worth of heroin, the affidavit says.

The sheriff's office, Grove City police and federal agents trailed the sellers. More drugs were bought. And others, who have not been indicted, were involved as time went on.

The DEA reports that agents have arrested 52 people in central Ohio on heroin-trafficking charges since last November.

Contreras and Parra were in the Franklin County jail last night.

kmayhood@dispatch.com

This is the first time federal law has been used in Ohio to go after dealers for deaths their drugs caused, according to the U.S. attorney's office.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/lo ... ml?sid=101

Copyright © 2007, The Columbus Dispatch

I'm going to write to the editor and this reported at the Columbus Dispatch to complain (again) these illegal aliens are reported as immigrants. I would have preferred Mex. nationals or even ILLEGAL immigrants.

I'm also calling the sheriff to inquire if they have been reported to ICE.

Today, I was able to confirm the Sheriff's office reported these crimminals to ICE & they are on hold. I suspect the Dispatch reporter "convieniently omitted this information from his story.

The Sheriff's office informed me they always report illegal aliens to ICE.
    ( I'm not convinced they do it for traffic violations. )

Reply from Grove City Mayor

In response to your inquiry concerning this case, the suspects are under federal indictment with no bond. Several federal agencies are involved and will communicate with other appropriate agencies as warranted.

Cheryl L. Grossman

Mayor

City of Grove City

4035 Broadway

Grove City , Ohio 43123

614-277-3001 (Phone)

614-668-6804 (Cell)

614-277-3011 (Fax

My letter to the edsitor. I doubt it gets published, but we'll see.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Dispatch Slanders Immigrants

In a recent story published 11/17, "2 accused of selling drugs charged with manslaughter" it was reported why two criminal drug smugglers were to be charged with manslaughter and that the two men indicted are Mexican immigrants.

According to the reporter, The sheriff’s office blamed immigrants for bringing the heroin business to central Ohio.

In the United States an immigrant is legally recognized and lawfully recorded as a permanent resident. I want you to know these men are not immigrants. They are not in the country legally. Immigrants deserve our respect and admiration. Immigrants are a valuable resource to this country. They play by the rules and obey our laws.

These two criminals are certainly Mexican nationals and may be described as “illegal immigrantsâ€