Haven't see this posted yet.

Wonder what % of these immigrants are illegal.
--------

honoluluadvertiser.com
June 1, 2008

Immigrants find guidance on path to citizenship
Annual fair recruits professionals to help decipher paperwork

By Suzanne Roig
Advertiser Staff Writer

Immigrants seeking U.S. citizenship yesterday got some help from volunteer attorneys and paralegals on the first step in a monthslong process of naturalization: filling out 10-page application forms.

While the paperwork is readily accessible to prospective citizens, it's complex and difficult to complete, said John Egan, chairman of the American Immigration Lawyers Association.

"There are so many different categories and requirements," Egan said yesterday. "It's important to get help."

The 30 men and women who signed up for the third annual Citizenship Fair, held at Ho-nolulu Community College, came armed with their photos, passports and permanent resident cards.

Herminigildo Bardolasa came with his two daughters, and each brought a check for $675, the amount needed to apply for citizenship.

This is the 66-year-old Bardolasa's second stab at applying to be a U.S. citizen. The first time, he said, he wasn't ready. He didn't have all the paperwork ready, nor could he afford the time off from work.

Yesterday, he was prepared. He was ready with the answers to 100 questions on a citizenship test, including: Who is the chief justice of the United States? Why, John Roberts Jr., he said.

Bardolasa waited 10 years to come to the United States from the Philippines after being sponsored by his mother-in-law.

"I reviewed all the questions," he said. "I've waited a long time to become a citizen."

The process takes about six months from application to issuing the oath.

"The fair makes it easier for me with the assistance of an attorney," Bardolasa said. "I heard about this on the radio."

The fair was organized by U.S. Rep. Neil Abercrombie, the Na Loio Immigrant Rights and Public Interest Legal Center, Volunteer Legal Services Hawai'i, the William S. Richardson School of Law Immigration Clinic and the American Immigration Lawyers Association-Hawai'i Chapter.

About 90 people have been helped through the citizenship process since the first fair, Abercrombie said.

Abercrombie said his office receives calls daily from immigrants seeking help with their citizenship.

"Each situation is unique," he said. "It's hard to apply on your own. Today is a start in the process and we hope to give them confidence to proceed."

As an entry point for many immigrants who arrive from Asia and the Pacific, Hawai'i is home to thousands of immigrants and new citizens.

The program is true outreach to the immigrant community, said Pat McManaman, executive director of Na Loio.

"For many of these folks, this is a fulfillment of a lifetime dream," McManaman said. "They are able to pass on citizenship to a child and to fully participate in government, all rights and privileges important to an immigrant."

Mylene Bardolasa, 29, said she and her sister came with their dad to get the process started. She immigrated to Hawai'i when she was in the fourth grade.

"First of all, I want to be able to vote," Mylene Bardolasa said. "And I want to have a U.S. passport when I go to other countries."

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/ ... LNEWSFRONT