Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hidden Cost of Illegal Immigration: ID theft

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2006/03/hid...of_.html#posts

Hidden cost of illegal immigration: ID theft Posted: Friday, March 31 at 06:00 am CT by Bob Sullivan

In the noisy immigration debate raging in Washington, there is one voice NOT being heard.

The voice of identity theft victims.

Behind many of the nation’s millions of undocumented workers are someone else's documents. To get a job, illegal immigrants need a Social Security number, and they often borrow one. As victim Melody Millet is fond of saying, U.S. citizens are being forced to share their identities with undocumented immigrants to give corporate America a steady supply of cheap labor.

Thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands of Americans are right now sharing their identities with immigrants and don't know it. It is the dirty little secret of the immigration issue: By not dealing directly with the undocumented worker situation, the U.S government is actually encouraging identity theft. In fact, one can argue that the origins of the identity theft epidemic can be traced to the immigration issue.

The scope of this problem is vast. Every year, nearly 9 million people pay their taxes using the wrong Social Security number. The name used on W-2 tax forms used by employers doesn't match the name on file with the Social Security Administration. There can be many reasons why -- a data entry typo by a human resources department, a woman changes her name after marriage and forgets to report it, or a man uses someone else's SSN to get a job.

Social Security calls this a "no-match" situation. When this happens, the Social Security Administration collects the money, but the wage credits go into limbo. They don't end up on anyone's annual Social Security statement, they end up in something called the Earnings Suspense File. Since 1984, when the Social Security card employment verification requirement kicked in, nearly $500 billion in wages has ended up in that file.

Who are all these people paying their taxes using the wrong SSN? Neither Social Security nor the IRS has ever studied this issue in great detail. But there are clear indications that many -- if not most -- of the 9 million mismatches are immigrants using the wrong SSN. One study by Social Security indicates no-match payments come most frequently from agricultural and restaurant industries, for example.

Not every mismatched SSN belongs to a real living person, and in fact, it appears many are chosen at random. Some belong to the deceased; others are entirely fictitious. One study showed thousands of entries using obvious fakes, such as 123-45-6789 or 999-99-9999.

Many victims are very real
    But many victims are very real. Recently, officials in Utah matched a database of children receiving welfare benefits with a database of workers paying state taxes and found 1,800 child victims. It’s impossible to know how many of the impostors were undocumented workers, but Utah Assistant Attorney General Rich Hamp says that behind most cases the agency has prosecuted so far, he’s found an immigrant using someone else’s papers.

Victims often don't have any idea they’re sharing their identity with an immigrant, because there's no way to find out. Social Security won't tell you if someone else is using your SSN. The extra earnings don't end up on your annual Social Security statement, because they are designated to the Earnings Suspense File instead. Ditto for the Internal Revenue Service. The misuse isn't revealed in personal credit reports, either. If somebody uses your number to get a credit card or car loan, the nation's credit bureaus create a new credit file instead of alerting you to the misuse.

Victims only find out when something goes wrong -- when there are unpaid taxes or unpaid bills, debt collectors often track down the original SSN holder.

But there are sometimes hints along the way.

SSN-only ID theft victim Margaret Harrison was once denied unemployment because records showed she had a job. Harrison was in West Virginia -- her Social Security number was working on a farm in Washington state. She couldn't prove her problem until recently, however, when she received a debit card with her impostor's picture on it.

The immigration issue is an incredibly complex mine field of competing emotional issues. There are sloganeering and extremism on both sides. There will be no kicking out every undocumented worker; and there will be no letting everyone in right away. People who insist on either are naive, foolish or both. There will be hard decisions and heartbreaks. This column does not suggest there is a simple answer.

And it also does not blame the immigrants, who are simply following the real-life rules they’ve been given. Want a job? Want to feed your family, want a better life for your kids? Just get a nine-digit number. The message has been clear from our government and our corporations for 20 years -- no one cares whose nine-digit number you use.

Plenty of blame to go around
    The blame lies on us all for not dealing with the situation directly, and instead encouraging under-the-table activity. There are millions of victims on all sides -- including the innocent bystanders who must share their Social Security numbers.

This is what happens when an extra-legal system is in place. Today, there are no rules, which clearly encourages this sharing of Social Security numbers. It encourages the cottage industry that is document forgery. And ultimately, it encourages identity theft.

While consumers cannot learn the secret life of their Social Security numbers, several groups know all about it. The nation’s credit bureaus, for example, can sort their data by number instead of name.

Lenders routinely buy this information when assessing a consumer's credit risk. Every time MSNBC.com covers this issue, workers at car dealers and banks write in to say they’ve seen countless examples of consumers who apply for accounts and have multiple names connected to their Social Security numbers. Privacy rules prevent them from warning the consumers.

And of course, any agency that collects taxes, such as Social Security or the IRS, has this information.

It would certainly be possible for any of these groups to inform those who are sharing SSNs, but a serious attempt has never been made. Why? I suspect that doing so would personalize the immigration debate and might very well lead to a true flash point for the issue.

Three years ago, Social Security did the next-best thing, sending letters to some employers with large lists of people paying taxes using the wrong SSN. As workers scattered, seeing the letters as tantamount to a deportation notice, immigration rights groups protested. The letters were immediately withdrawn. And here we sit.

One thing activists on many sides of this issue seem to agree on –- it’s time to bring undocumented workers out of the shadows. That would be wise, as it would also bring countless identity theft victims out of the shadows.

But until that happens, the IRS, the SSA and the nation’s credit bureaus need to develop a system that allows the rightful holder of a Social Security number to know if it has a secret life.

EMAIL THIS

54 COMMENTS
    Don't call those who are in this country anything other than what they are, illegal aliens. Putting a sugar coating on the issue doesn't make it any easier to swallow.

(Sent Mar 31, 2006 6:28:37 AM)

This is a hidden and frustrating aspect of identity theft. I helped a woman in this situation through my web site at www.IdTheftAwareness.com. Let’s call her Good Nelda.

A nine year old girl, Bad Nelda, arrived from Mexico and was given Good Nelda’s social security number. Bad Nelda eventually obtained a legal birth certificate using the SSN. Good Nelda was unaware of the situation for years until Bad Nelda started working, causing the IRS to ask questions. Bad Nelda has obtained credit cards and employment using the SSN.

The interesting twist is that Good Nelda managed to get a phone number and call Bad Nelda. Bad Nelda pled her case. She’s been in America for over 30 years now and has two kids born here. She begged Good Nelda not go to the authorities to avoid deportation and separation from her kids. Good Nelda felt sorry for her and only asked her to stop using her SSN. That worked for a short while…
    Bad Nelda continued her ways. Good Nelda contacted the San Diego police, Bad Nelda’s employer, the IRS and Social Security. A little activity ensued, but the situation remains the same.

This seemed like a slam-dunk case to me. I’m amazed the Bad Nelda is still free to misuse the SSN. The identity theft battle continues…

www.IdTheftAwareness.com

The real Danny Lents - IdTheftAwareness.com (Sent Mar 31, 2006 6:36:27 AM)

And then again, some people do know they are sharing their social security number with an illegal immigrant, but there is nothing that can be done about it. I have a niece who has known for about a year that someone is using her social security number, a Mexican working at some restrauant, and she reported it, but so far the person has not been apprehended. I have to just figure that they have not really tried to catch the person who is using it, probably because the person at the Social Security Office who told my niece about this was of Spanish origin.

Larance V. Vantreese (Sent Mar 31, 2006 6:45:11 AM)

I disagree with a statement you made: "There will be no kicking out of every undocumented worker;". Why not? Either we have immigration laws in this country, or we don't. These people are here illegally, regardless of what anyone calls them. They don't have any rights in this country. The BS being pandered about that they will do jobs that Americans (read legal citizens) won't do is a lie. They will do the same jobs for less money and benefits, period. The only reason they are allowed to stay is the political reason - don't offend anyone that might cost any elected official a few votes. As far as the credit bureaus are concerned - they are guilty of conspiracy to abet identity theft, money laundering, and probably in violation of the RICOH statutes. We could solve both problems with a little effort and political backbone, but it doesn't look like that will happen in my lifetime.

Mike Francis, Taylor Mill, Kentucky (Sent Mar 31, 2006 6:47:20 AM)

Doesn't the FOIA apply in this situation? Don't we have a right to get this info out of the SSA or IRS?

Dave E., Durham, NC (Sent Mar 31, 2006 6:57:59 AM)

What a fabulous reason to issue these people valid and legitimate numbers of their own.

(Sent Mar 31, 2006 7:11:23 AM)

I learned about this in 1982 while applying for unemployment. I was first accused of having another job. When I denied it the matter was quickly dropped.

(Sent Mar 31, 2006 7:13:32 AM)

what an interesting artical!!
    I never thought of this side of it before. Thanks for sharing it with us.

(Sent Mar 31, 2006 7:20:23 AM)

This is all part of the "Put American Citizens Last!" scheme that has been in place for decades. Corporations and businesses support it, and politicians and bureaucrats at all levels make it possible.

Banks, employers, and businesses can see all the information on American citizens, but this information (by law) is kept hidden from individuals.

Effectively, it creates a caste system in America where the lowest rung on the ladder is reserved for American citizens.

The reality is that none of this will be changed by politicians and bureaucrats, and banks and businesses certainly have no reason to want to change the system.

Instead, although it takes a while, the consequences will be that all types of things will begin to have strange problems--because, in great contrast to American workers who have a vested interest in the quality of their work, foreign workers (including illegal alien workers) are only focused on the short run and have no vested interest in being responsible for consequences.

If you study the news diligently, it is easy to identify these strange types of events. Automobiles spontaneously combust, because a part was designed or built badly. Toys injure and kill children, because the toys were never tested fully or carefully studied before being manufactured in another country where responsibility for quality and safety is less important or nonexistent.

Drugs and medical equipment fail unexpectedly, because the companies are more focused on making money than on quality, reliability, and thorough testing.

Things that worked reliably simply stop working so reliably. You can observe this very easily once you begin to keep a mental list of all the odd, unusual, and strange things that happen. Some of these things are only in the news for a few hours or days, but they are reported most of the time.

If you check MSNBC.com several times each day, you will find plenty of examples of strange stuff--but, it takes a while (weeks rather than a day or two).

In summary, this is a great article--and, it provides excellent information that corporations, politicians, and bureaucrats do not want American citizens to know.

Keep up the great work!

JD, Seattle, WA (Sent Mar 31, 2006 7:26:48 AM)

Excellent article and so very true. Why isn't it that Congress or all the immigration groups are bringing up this issue? The big push these days is that it is not politically correct to call them 'illegal immigrants' but rather undocumented workers. I say bull. Illegal is as illegal does. They are unlawfully present in the U.S. and many if not most of them are providing fraudulent documents or assuming other identities - and presenting themselves to the government as those fraudulent identities for tax and other purposes. And the fact that many have screwed up so many innocent victims lives and finances but can now quite possibly get away with it without facing criminal charges is beyond comprehension. Those who used fraudulent federal ID such as social security cards et.al. should be charged and the Social Security Department should be tasked by Congress to do an audit on the issue. I nominate Congressman Tancredo to get the ball rolling. He is my hero!!

Lisa, Manassas VA (Sent Mar 31, 2006 7:29:16 AM)

I wrote emails to Senators Clinton (NY), McCain (AZ), Obama(IL), Durbin(IL) and congressman Hyde(IL) about this same issue a few days ago. Stating that any immigration reform should include background checks on illegals for identity theft.

I live in Illinois but wrote Clinton and McCain because they are like to run for President in '08

(Sent Mar 31, 2006 7:30:57 AM)

You'd think this would be enough to scare American's into doing the jobs that "American's won't do."

Living in Indiana - a state that has seen an 80+ percent increase in immigration over the last several years is tough.

Getting our politicians to tell us where to report suspicious activity is even tougher.

Hopefully people will open their eyes and realize that immigration DOES impact them before it's far to late.

Gayla, Indiana (Sent Mar 31, 2006 7:33:26 AM)

this is bs. Bush has to do somethign and keep the illegal immigrants (not undocumented workers) out of this country. Drop that stupid guest worker program, that's just so he can keep his workers at haliburton.

(Sent Mar 31, 2006 7:37:24 AM)

this immigration bill is really a sad issue. the problem that no one seems to address is that as long as mexico and other latin countries economies are poor, it encourages people to come to this country. i can totally relate. my husband used someone elses ssn for 5 years and was never caught, if the company knew they turned a blind eye to it.

nancy houston, texas (Sent Mar 31, 2006 7:40:02 AM)

It is unimaginable to think that elected politicians are pandering so much to a group of people that they are completely abandoning the the majority. This article brings to light another untold piece of an issue that demands action.
    I am completely in favor of immigration. Legal immigration.

Jeff, Wake Forest, North Carolina (Sent Mar 31, 2006 7:44:20 AM)

I can't believe our government chooses not to deal with these issues. Identity theft is a huge problem, tell me what the benefit of being a true American is, a citizen. I can get the same rights with absolutely no accountability if I were an immigrant.

Greg, Texas (Sent Mar 31, 2006 7:49:45 AM)

Much of what ails America is due to "Wet-Backs"! That's what President Eisenhower called them!Increaed crime,slums,job theft,taxpayer cost for medical care, children's education,social services and loss of taxes through cash payments/transfers. We need a revolution. Nothing short of it will cure this problem. Democracy has betrayed us!!

Dr. karl kettler (Sent Mar 31, 2006 7:54:00 AM)

The IRS, SSA, and HHS all know which SSNs have multiple remittances per pay period and thus which are being used fraudulently, but also realize that multiple people cannot claim SSA/Medicare bennies under one SSN nor will tax returns be filed for refunds, especially with earned income credit. The result: ID theft is a profit center for the government, a HUGE moneymaker. As Deep Throat said, "Follow the money". We have been "sold" to Mexico and MExico has outsourced crime and social services to us with nothing in return. U.S. citizens attempting to work in MExico are promptly arrested. NAFTA? "Fair" trade? Nope...a SELLOUT!

(Sent Mar 31, 2006 8:01:35 AM)

People have a right to know if someone is using there SS number illegally. Agencies, companies, and individuals who know about this, and don't tell, is tantamount to knowing of a crime and not reporting it.

Brendan, Chicago,IL (Sent Mar 31, 2006 8:02:41 AM)

If banks and even car dealers have access to this, why doesn't law enforcement? If you suspect you are a victim of identity theft, couldn't you go to your local police department and give them your ss#. Wouldn't they be able to see who is listed under that number especially if a crime has been commited in the past(maybe even a speeding ticket since your ss# is tied to your license?). The police can't be as restricted under privacy rules as a business organization.

(Sent Mar 31, 2006 8:09:18 AM)

I don't get it? Every employer that files W-2s is readily identified by the SSA unless they file a false name and address. But then what would be the point of them filing at all? So why isn't the SSA going after them?

Dr. karl kettler (Sent Mar 31, 2006 8:12:28 AM)

I definitely think I deserve to know as much about what my SSN is being used for as a car dealer does. I think Social Security should be required to provide reports to the proper holder of a number on demand. If you can walk into a Social Security office with proper ID, you have a right to know everything about your record and number that they do. Just tightening up on this issue would get rid of a lot of these immigrants and a lot of fraud as well.

Barbara Bowen, Hephzibah GA (Sent Mar 31, 2006 8:13:58 AM)

I have heard from an I.R.S. person that they already have been issuing temporary S.S. numbers to illegals so they can get back witholding taxes. Go figure this out.

(Sent Mar 31, 2006 8:14:45 AM)

Good article. It's time that the "system," i.e. the IRS, SSA, the banking and finance industry, the credit bureaus, etc. start behaving in a way that is not downright hostile to the average law-abiding, tax-paying American citizen. This is not anti-immigrant, it's pro-average Joe.

Michael H., Harrison, AR (Sent Mar 31, 2006 8:14:58 AM)

Bob,

Great job as always. I never would have known about this--or written about it myself--if it wasn't for you. This is the kind of thing that NEEDS to get into the debate, because it affects everyone in this country in ways they don't even realize.

Keep it up!

(Sent Mar 31, 2006 8:17:55 AM)

Issue a valid # for each identified invlid number delivered in person by a federal official to the place of employment as soon as its discovered.

John Pelzer Lake Charles LA. 70611 (Sent Mar 31, 2006 8:22:58 AM)

While I understand that identity theft is a terrible thing to suffer and should be brought under control, I think an interesting point that is brought up in this article, which would appear to be the opposite from what the media generally reports, is that undocumented immigrants are paying taxes. This article cites 9 million people paying their taxes with the wrong SSN, and suggests that although there are some clerical errors or oversights on the part of recently married women, undocumented workers are paying taxes, at least Social Security. This is an interesting point in light of the argument on the anti-undocumented worker side which suggests that undocumented workers are sucking this country dry by coming into the country and working, not paying taxes, and getting lots of government benefits for which they have not paid any taxes.

Jennifer, Ann Arbor, MI (Sent Mar 31, 2006 8:25:19 AM)

What's really bad is that the burden of proving who is the original holder of an active SSN is placed on the person who discovers the abuse. Your column has reported incidents where the infringer is presumed by the lender in question to be the valid holder. And the lender conceals the infringer's identity. From a lender's point of view, fraud losses are a cost of doing business. As long as there are no penalties for lack of diligence on their part, the lenders have no incentive to change. Not even the Social Security Administration is hurt - and how are the suspended social security taxes accounted? The only way to get our government's attention is through our elected senators and representatives. A groundswell of citizens who lift their heads out of the daily grind of life long enough and often enough will direct attention to this issue. Say nothing, and the lobbyists and special interests have the only voice. In that respect, America has the best government that money can buy.

(Sent Mar 31, 2006 8:30:18 AM)

I was born and raised in Los Angeles and relocated to the mid-west a few years ago. Last year my husband made a trip to the doctor but was held up at the receptionist's desk because she had someone in her database with a hispanic name as the owner of his social security number. The idea that immigration issues are only a west coast problem is outdated! It effects us all. I do know for a fact that companies empower illegals to do as they do. While working in L.A. I witnessed hispanic employees coming into the office to have their social security numbers changed in their files! More shocking was the fact that these companies gladly complied! Now, how many times have you ever changed your social security number? Is it even possible? I suppose the only way to stop all this mess would be to stop treating illegals as criminals and issue them some sort of worker's number in place of a social security number to begin with. I just can't help worrying that if it is so easy to steal a social security number, someone far more dangerous than an illegal worker can get one too. I don't think any of us would like to be sharing our number with a suicide bomber.

(Sent Mar 31, 2006 8:31:00 AM)

This is one reason why society should wean itself from depending upon the Social Security number as a one-stop clearinghouse for establishing individuals' identities. The SSN doesn't have enough characters to make it secure(notice how many characters are in a bank or checking account number); furthermore, the SSN doesn't have a "check" digit, as does, for example, a vehicle identification number, that verifies the other digits are correct. Relying on this one simple number as a one-size-fits-all comprehensive identifier (although driver license numbers are coming close) with no way for individuals' holding the number to track its use is asking for trouble. We all should be able to get a federal taxpayer identification number for tax purposes (only businesses, and individuals who can't get a SSN, can have these numbers assigned as it now stands). As long as our society insists on using numeric identifiers for people this won't completely solve the problem, but if the importance of the SSN can be "devalued" through the use of other types of identifiers, perhaps the mess we're in will get a little less worse.

Pookie LeBlanc, Dallas, Texas (Sent Mar 31, 2006 8:38:15 AM)

Having experienced the identity theft issues first hand, its very hard not to want every illegal immigrant deported. These people, regardess of how much they assist the economy, are breaking laws. We would not be so tolerant if those laws were different: theft, rape, murder or child molestation. Not ALL of the illegal workers here are doing so because they are providers; some are running from the law of their native lands. Their behaviors are not going to change just because their address has. And in argument to the economy issues...up to 75% of their earnings are often shipped back to their homeland -- NOT recirculated in our economy. There are alot of hidden costs in illegal immigration...and the US and its legal citizens should not continue paying them.

Jamie Schroderus, Peoria, IL (Sent Mar 31, 2006 8:39:37 AM)

I, too, agree that the undocumented workers need to come out of the shadows and I think that I deserve to know if my number is being used for someone else so I can protect the credit I have worked so long to build. My identity has been stolen twice that I know about. Even though the last time was many years ago, I still cannot write checks at certain stores. It is a nightmare. The people here illegally are breaking the law. Why must our government and privacy laws protect them? I want everyone to be able to make a decent living for their families, but why must it be at the expense of those who came here legally?

If we reform the laws and make it easier to come here and work legally, we will only be helping those who are now in the shadows. They are usually victims of crime who cannot report it, or victims of unscrupulous employers who take advantage of them with illegal hiring and working practices. They have no voice and no one to turn to. This problem needs to be addressed NOW or we all loose.

Jo Griffith, Memphis, TN (Sent Mar 31, 2006 8:40:18 AM)

You have a very interesting column, with one big open end questions.
    If only 20 % (1. of 9 million immigrants have a fake SSN, where is our dear Government spending the money.
    If 1.8 million paid in $ 300.00 per year that would be about $ 540,000,000,000; and this as been going on for how many years.

Just maybe someone needs to ask the Accounting Department to show where this money is.

(Sent Mar 31, 2006 8:43:54 AM)

This really angers me even more....I don't really begrudge any person wanting a better life, but I expect that person to go about it through the proper channels. If they don't, then they're a criminal (no matter how desperate, they've broken the law), and should be denied access, charged appropriately, and deported. Stealing and providing false information is wrong, punishable, when does the U.S. send that message that it won't be tolerated? And why is our government not addressing the issue? It's ridiculous and unnacceptable. And it's a damn shame for all the law-abiding, tax-paying citizens of America.

(Sent Mar 31, 2006 8:46:34 AM)

There is another cost at our children's expense. Our schools in Oceanside and Vista, California, were in lockdown on Wednesday (3/29/06), Oceanside School District closed all Junior High and High Schools Thursday (3/30/06)and Friday (3/31/06), and Vista School District closed all schools on Friday (3/31/06) because of a few students who are protesting the illegal immigration reforms . All children in Vista and Oceanside schools lost valuable teaching time because a few students are protesting by walking out of schools, starting emotional marches, and are waving the Mexican flag.

Catherine Heacock, Oceanside, California (Sent Mar 31, 2006 8:49:36 AM)

Our country is made of generations of immigrants who followed rules in order to thrive here. I understand that some countries do not allow irregardless of citizenship non-native born people to purchase land Mexico being one. We in recent decades allow anyone to purchase, own and thrive at the expense of hard working, law abiding American citizens. I offer undocumentated workers or visitors staying/living within this country be issued a temporary but clearly designed non-citizen Social Security card. Visitors/non-documentated workers then could have witholdings held in the earnings suspense fund until they become citizens. Benefits would be available once citizenship is attained. Employers and immigration rights advocates could not argue we are being unfair or biased quite the contrary. What we are saying is that we do not deny you the right to thrive however, you must abide by rules no different than past generations of immigrants. Immigration and Homeland Security would have a better chance of monitoring non-citizen workers. Undocumented workers would have no excuse but to come forward. We then without fear of accusations could legally and justifiably deport undocumented workers. Employers would be responsible for confirming the legal status of prospective employees. When people who hire undocumented workers are held responsible they may reconsider their hiring practices. We then perhaps would eliminate undocumented worker arguments from both sides.

Mary, Chicago, Illinois (Sent Mar 31, 2006 8:51:18 AM)

WOW! Now if only you could get the rest of the people who vote in America to read this.We should be outraged by this but watch, nothing will happen. Its a sad day when the majority doesn't care anymore and the minority pays the way in politics. Democracy really is dead.

NARDLEY, DES MOINES IA (Sent Mar 31, 2006 8:51:28 AM)

Its not only immigrants that use others SS numbers its also disgruntled ex spouses. It is time that the federal goverment takes a stand on the issue of Identity Theft. As it stands now the victim is left holding the bag. They have to go through alot of hoops to get the reports right. Most of the time they are treated like they are the criminal. I myself have been a victim of Identity Theft not only once but twice in a 3 yr period. The laws on this seem to protect the criminal. Something needs to be done to protect a persons SS number and when it is used fruadulantly the system has got to come up with a better way of dealing with the victims. Credit is a fact of life. You need it for Car loans, Housing Jobs, Insurance almost every aspect of your life. Something as impacting as this on a persons life should be defended more adamently.

(Sent Mar 31, 2006 8:52:39 AM)

I was informed that a young "Mexican male" was using my social security # when I had to get a check cashed at a "Check Cashing Store" when I relocated from Dallas, TX to St. Louis. The lady at the counter gave me the man's Name, address, and D.O.B. - he is living in Dallas... AND when I notified the SS Dept. I was told that "You will only benefit from your SS# being used when it comes tiem for you to draw Social Security." THAT'S OUR GOVERNMENT! Not only is my SS# being used and a Government entity is aware of it - they APPROVE of it! What about my credit history? It's in a shambles and I am so deeply frustrated, I have no idea where to begin ot clean it up.. ESPECIALLY if I can't even get assistance from the Social Security people.....

Michele G., Saint Louis, MO. (Sent Mar 31, 2006 8:55:55 AM)

Once it again it doesn't surprise me about such dealings happening. Once when I applied for an apartment, I was informed that I had an apartment in Columbus, OH and that I was unemployed. Both of which were false as I work and live in Cincinnati, OH. The hoops I, the victim had to jump through to get my 'life' back was mind blowing. I, was made out to be the criminal and not the real criminal.

When it comes to illegal immigration, I still wonder why those groups that want to help them become legal citizens/workers, put up a fight when those that are here illegally to begin with commit the crime of ID theft. Legal citizens caught doing so are punished.

Antonio Lewis, Cincinnati, Ohio (Sent Mar 31, 2006 9:03:31 AM)

more great news

eric (Sent Mar 31, 2006 9:08:42 AM)

SSNs should ONLY be used for receiving Social Security benefits, period. Employers should be forbidden to use them for anything other than tax purposes. I fought for years to stop our retirement fund manager from printing my SSN on every statement it mailed to me.

We may be at the point where we need some form of national ID card, complete with photograph, thumbprint and/or other biometric identification encoded on the card. Or, instead, each credit issuer would have to issue unique identifiers (other than the card number) to each of their customers. Costly? Yes, but probably no more than losses to fraud and ID theft now.

(Sent Mar 31, 2006 9:11:01 AM)

Unbelievable!!! I was raised to think my SS# was not only sacred but MINE. Now here again is proof of the hypocrisy of government. Why all this preaching about protecting the citizens of this country when they are unwilling to protect us right here on American soil. They all know it is happening but lets pretend its not. With the knowledge of ID theft at the top of most lists I do not understand how government can just stand by and put money (and the issue) in a "no-match" pile... How can SS be bankrupt if there is $500 BILLION sitting in an account? If they know that most of this money has been gained illegally then put it in the damn pot and save SS.
    I am really getting tired of all these politicians speaking out one side of their mouth for/against an issue when out of the other side of their mouth they are using back doors unavailable to us mere mortals to protect their "assets". If people want to work in this country they need to have a work visa. They need to have their OWN ID numbers and pay their own taxes. If they bring their families the other adults should also have work visas and the children should have educational visas. If you can't find the motivation to become a US citizen in 5 years then get out and let someone else come in. And until you are a card carrying member of the good ole US of A you can not VOTE! People say that illegal immigrants are the only people who are willing to work out in the fields. I cry foul to a portion of that statement. Thanks to all those lobbyist and do gooders who claim to have more brains than the rest of us and really do know what is in our best interest, our children are not allowed to work. Now before you get your knickers in a wad I realize that there are people who abuse other people whether they are adults or children BUT... most children can not go out and pick strawberries, apples, pull grass out of wheat, any of those things I grew up doing, learning a good work ethic, because you have to have a work permit signed by your parents and be of an appropriate age. Now the government will enforce work permits for 14 year olds but not someone who is in this country un-invited. I am a born and bred American, yet I can't even buy a house in the area of where I work to make the very money I pay taxes on, because I make too much money ($32,000/yr)to qualify for any government assistance. Maybe I should make up a new SS# of my own and change my name to something exotic and foreign sounding... on second thought they may be on to something...I could still vote, I could still work, I could qualify for all sorts of government programs I am too American to qualify for now....Hmmmm.

Dana, OR (Sent Mar 31, 2006 9:14:09 AM)

The battle against illegal immigration is already lost. As always, the middle class will burden the load of paying for all types of social services that are part and parcel of having millions of illegals and their families make their way into this country. And American manufacurers are having it both ways: they are using illegal immigrants for cheap labor here in the States, and if that isn't cheap enough, they ship those jobs to India, Pakistan, or somewhere else to find someone who will work for even less.

(Sent Mar 31, 2006 9:17:32 AM)

This is where the heart of the Immigration Issue should be addressed. I encourage everyone who reads this article to write their Congresspeoson and Senators, and strongly encourage them to address SSN verification and the adressing of wrong tax funds and SSN funds in the bill.

I won the SSN lottery. Someone picked my 9 numbers. Don't be so niave to think that this will not happen to you, with nearly 12 million undocumented people who have illegally entered this country, and are looking for work.

Marc Waterloo, Lorton VA (Sent Mar 31, 2006 9:20:33 AM)

Geeze, as a victim of previous identity theft, this just goes to show how screwed up our system is. And it really bothers me that our legal system won't recogonize ID theft as the serious crime it really is.

Our gov't doesn't care about its citizens anymore, we should change our slogan "gov't of the people, by the people, for the people" to "gov't of the corporation, by the corporation, for the corporation"

(Sent Mar 31, 2006 9:21:31 AM)

This is an outrage that this government has reaped the benefits of cheap labor while requiring the tax paying citizens of this country to subsidize the cost of illegal immigrants. There is such hypocrisy on this issue from Washington. This should not be an issue. There are existing laws which if they were enforced would eliminate the problem of illegal immigration. The politicians can no longer ride the fence.

Concerned U.S. citizen in California. (Hispanic at that) (Sent Mar 31, 2006 9:22:31 AM)

I'd comment that here's yet another reason to crack down on illegal aliens and the employers who hire them; but I'd probably be branded a racist so I'll keep my mout shut....

Steve P, Sellersville PA (Sent Mar 31, 2006 9:23:54 AM)

If you would like to know if another identity is using your information, simply write to ChoicePoint for a copy of the information that they sell to outside entities. They will give you a complimentary copy of this information, pulled by SSN. You will see every name attached to that SSN in their system, which comes from the three credit bureaus.

You can also have the local police run a statewide check on your SSN in the national driver's license database. You will need cause for this, but if a state has issued a license under you SSN (like Illinois did as found out by Operation Safe Road), you will clearly see who the person is.

Just some suggetions.

Marc Waterloo, Lorton VA (Sent Mar 31, 2006 9:25:39 AM)

This illegal immigration thing really gets my blood boiling. I too have heard about the identity theft associated with this issue but for some reason it doesn't get reported. The government knows when someone's SSN is being used fraudulently and won't let the victim know. Why? Because both parties are courting the Hispanic vote and niether wants to potentially lose that huge voting block. I hate politicians that put politics above doing the right thing! I would like nothing better than to vote them all out of office and replace them with average Joes and Janes that would do right by the American people.

(Sent Mar 31, 2006 9:29:53 AM)

Obviously there is a de facto agreement with those who benefit most from this situation not to rock the boat.

Carl Bache, Arcadia, FL (Sent Mar 31, 2006 9:30:00 AM)

Ya know what I don't understand - they have to use verifiable SS#s.. but they don't have to match the name or address? Why don't illegals just make up numbers if the process is so flawed anyways? Odds are you could come up with a valid one!

Lisa Santa Fe (Sent Mar 31, 2006 9:30:04 AM)

I don't understand why the government can't simply create a national database using the Social Security's office original records. Social Security would provide numbers and their original matching name to the database. The government should make it mandatory for the IRS, SS, Credit Cards issuers, banks, and every organization that requires your social security number to check each number against the matching name. If they number/name do not match, then the credit card/bank account/Tax return/whatever would be rejected. Employers, banks, etc would require from the customer to provide a form of ID (Like Driver's license or passport) to ensure that no one steals your entire identity (name and social security). This solution is not all that difficult, and it still does not touch the sensitive immigration issue. It simply addresses the I.D. Theft problem,

(Sent Mar 31, 2006 9:32:12 AM)

I noticed in the article you did not mention anything about what happens to the monies in this "Earnings Suspense File" when the immigrants are caught and deported back to their homeland, what about the Federal Tax monies those immigrants have paid into for years and never collected can they go back and claim the monies....Oh wait they have to show PROOF right....These monies will NEVER be paid out to those immigrant in order to facilitate their latter years in whatever third world county they may have originated from, it is KEPT by the U.S. government under the auspice that it was never their SS # or right to earn a living in the first place. How many Americans are claiming extra money from Social Security and not saying a word because they are collecting benefits from someone else's labor? REMEMBER and immigrant knows they are using someone else's number and that they will never be able to get money back from their income tax and cannot file returns. Understand if someone has worked for 20 to 30 years in this country and is then deported or deemed deportable, that money is forfeit. Imagine $500 Billion dollars has been accumulated since they began monitoring in 1984 as you claim, have there been any disbursements or adjustments.......What about the money previous to to 1984? Harsh penalties don't you think for wanting a better life, imagine why would someone from another country want to stay in a country were they are treated like invisible people, vilified, scorned, overworked and despised,and simple things like the tax returns, social security benefits and medicare are not even earned or collectable at the end of the day, and any simple live they and their families have managed to build becomes meaning less based on prejudice and hysteria lip service from self serving politicians and the uninformed. It could be so simple an answer in that they happen to love this county despite not reaping 100% of the benefits, contrary to what people who have a forum such as this have to say

© 2005 Microsoft MSN Privacy Legal Advertise Feedback | Help
    <div>"True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else."
    - Clarence Darrow</div>

Identity Theft is an Unpunished 2-Prong Attack

ID Theft 2 Prong Attack from Illegal Aliens and from Bangalore, India
    Do you know where your privacy information is?

The Identity Theft Component of Offshoring
    Quote Originally Posted by Coto
    Data theft and identity theft are overshadowed only by the massive unemployment and underemployment that offshoring causes both in the UK and in the US. Incidents come to light as successful arrests occur in India, but our burning question pertains to the impact of unreported theft incidents - incidents that are occurring right now.

Highlights of Tania Sachdev's Article:

“Identity theft and data stealing is common among outsourcing companies and employees in India - watch out!
    If you live in America or other parts of the world, watch out. Is you credit card company, bank, insurance and other vendors sending your data to India for processing - watch out - you may be for illegal sale through the crooks of Indian outsourcing companies.
    According to media reports, the spectre of data theft returned to haunt the Indian BPO industry today with the arrest of four ex-employees of the Indian subsidiary of a US-based company on charges of siphoning off classified information causing loss of over Rs. three crore to the firm.”

Companies that are intoxicated with offshoring are too supercilious to regard any complaints. Therefore, countermeasures (besides legislation) need to focus on informing the offending company’s customers and the UK and US public.

The supporting URL titles are:
    Sorry, I haven't found a quick way to convert HTML to BB Code to extract the URLs without doing them singly, so this URL will give you the links to all the titles listed below:
    http://www.antioffshore.org/index.php?o ... 2&Itemid=2

India's a small fry in BPO fraud game
    Your Financial Secrets are Headed Overseas
    Gartner Warns of Offshore ID Theft Risk

Horror of outsourcing to India - Indian call centers are illegally selling personal information of tens of thousand Australian customers

Alleged Data Theft in India Grabs Security Spotlight
    Ex-IITian arrested for Delhi call centre data theft
    No Complaints Filed over Data Theft in India
    India Cannot Protect Personal Identity Theft
    Concerns over Identity Theft in India
    Investigators foxed by lack of evidence in BPO case
    Allegations that Indian BPO is selling British citizen data
    Mastercard - 40 Million Exposed to Fraud, India involved?
    Something Hard to do Across National Borders
    ONS Sends All our Identities to India

What part of "We don't owe our jobs to India" are you unable to understand, Senator?