Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

The Hill: MexiCain Nearly Abandoned the GOP in 2001

by Gribbit @ 5:49 am on February 1, 2008.

Cross-Posted FROM Gribbit's Word IN FULL

In a not so surprising revelation in The Hill, it is being exposed by Democrats that Juan MexiCain, the man who "main stream" Republicans wish Conservatives to abandon principles to coalesce around, nearly abandoned them 7 years ago. I say not so surprising because the writing has been on the wall for nearly a decade.

Juan MexiCain is no more a Republican than Hillary Clinton is. Why should we abandon our principles to "coalesce" around him when he hasn't any loyalty to the Party or its platform?

From The Hill:

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) was close to leaving the Republican Party in 2001, weeks before then-Sen. Jim Jeffords (Vt.) famously announced his decision to become an Independent, according to former Democratic lawmakers who say they were involved in the discussions.

In interviews with The Hill this month, former Sen. Tom Daschle (D-S.D.) and ex-Rep. Tom Downey (D-N.Y.) said there were nearly two months of talks with the maverick lawmaker following an approach by John Weaver, McCain’s chief political strategist.

Democrats had contacted Jeffords and then-Sen. Lincoln Chafee (R-R.I.) in the early months of 2001 about switching parties, but in McCain’s case, they said, it was McCain’s top strategist who came to them. emphasis mine
    If the report in The Hill is correct, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, the man who is leading the race for the nomination of the Republican Party was reaching out in an effort to leave. He wasn't being courted, he was doing the courting.

[quote]At the end of their March 31, 2001 lunch at a Chinese restaurant in Bethesda, Md., Downey said Weaver asked why Democrats hadn’t asked McCain to switch parties.

Downey, a well-connected lobbyist, said he was stunned.

“You’re really wondering?â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yea that was a big deal back then, he should have switched parties.

WASHINGTON - 30 Mar 2006

The Amnesty Bill After Party!

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I heard this on the news this morning and remember this from back then. I hope other people become reminded and take that with them to the voting booth on Tuesday.

I am just curious. All you ever hear so called McCain conservatives say is that Romney is a flip-flopper and McCain is a straight talker. Regardless of what one believes with regard to that, seeking out Liberal Tom Dashle and others is a pretty significant move. While I understand while some may have reservations about Romney changing his views, how come there is no outrage over this? Considering a switch of parties and seeking out Tom Dashle is pretty worriesome to me. All the so called McCain conservatives have no problem with McCain considering becoming an "independent" like Jumping-Jim or become a Democrat and join alliances with Tom Dashle who is as liberal as they come.

As a side note-the more I think about it-I could see McAmnesty pick Liberman as his VP.

Nicole

UT ..just ONE illegal is too many, let’s start w/the usurper & his cronies..!! ;)

Re: The Hill: MexiCain Nearly Abandoned the GOP in 2001

Quote Originally Posted by zeezil
    by Gribbit @ 5:49 am on February 1, 2008.

Cross-Posted FROM Gribbit's Word IN FULL

In a not so surprising revelation in The Hill, it is being exposed by Democrats that Juan MexiCain, the man who "main stream" Republicans wish Conservatives to abandon principles to coalesce around, nearly abandoned them 7 years ago. I say not so surprising because the writing has been on the wall for nearly a decade.

Juan MexiCain is no more a Republican than Hillary Clinton is. Why should we abandon our principles to "coalesce" around him when he hasn't any loyalty to the Party or its platform?

From The Hill:

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) was close to leaving the Republican Party in 2001, weeks before then-Sen. Jim Jeffords (Vt.) famously announced his decision to become an Independent, according to former Democratic lawmakers who say they were involved in the discussions.

In interviews with The Hill this month, former Sen. Tom Daschle (D-S.D.) and ex-Rep. Tom Downey (D-N.Y.) said there were nearly two months of talks with the maverick lawmaker following an approach by John Weaver, McCain’s chief political strategist.

Democrats had contacted Jeffords and then-Sen. Lincoln Chafee (R-R.I.) in the early months of 2001 about switching parties, but in McCain’s case, they said, it was McCain’s top strategist who came to them. emphasis mine
    If the report in The Hill is correct, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, the man who is leading the race for the nomination of the Republican Party was reaching out in an effort to leave. He wasn't being courted, he was doing the courting.

[quote]At the end of their March 31, 2001 lunch at a Chinese restaurant in Bethesda, Md., Downey said Weaver asked why Democrats hadn’t asked McCain to switch parties.

Downey, a well-connected lobbyist, said he was stunned.

“You’re really wondering?â€
    No need for ‘mass roundups’, simply ENFORCE EXISTING law*& MANDATE the worker ID, ..but SEVEN amnesties? Hmm, WHO cried wolf?!