Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hillary Clinton Praises ‘Incredibly Brave’ Young Woman Admitting Undocumented Status

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hillary Clinton Praises ‘Incredibly Brave’ Young Woman Admitting Undocumented Status

New York Observer
    By Colin Campbell
    04/17/14 5:35pm

Hillary Clinton. (Photo: Isaac Brekken/Getty)

Hillary Clinton today praised a 19-year-old woman who broke down crying at an event today as she revealed that she is an undocumented immigrant.

The former first lady, secretary of state and potential 2016 presidential candidate encountered the passionate young woman while taking questions at a “Girls: A No Ceilings Conversation” event at the Lower East Side Girl’s Club in Manhattan, “I have a very different glass ceiling than some of the girls are exhibiting here. For the first time publicly I want to say that I’m an undocumented immigrant,” said the woman, named Nova, who quickly began to tear up after receiving some applause. “I want to say that it’s been extremely difficult for me to empower myself in America because I came here illegally when I was five. And I came from Split, Croatia, where I was born.”

Nova addressing Hillary Clinton. (screengrab: livestream.com)

“It’s been very hard because I don’t have the documentation here: to get a job; to vote–which is essential, obviously, to [get] representation; to buy an apartment; to go to college–so I couldn’t even go to my dream college because of that; to get no financial aid,” Nova continued. “I want to ask what in your sense of what is essential for immigration reform because girls like me–and I’m not the only one here, there are 11 million people standing behind me here and I can only imagine how many girls there are.”

“Because this is an extreme glass ceiling for me that I can’t even control,” she said. “Not even as a woman but not even as a human.”
    Ms. Clinton was visibly taken aback.

“Oh Nova,” she began, pausing for a second. “Wow. That was incredibly brave. And I thank you for doing that because it’s important to put ourselves in other people’s shoes. That’s one of the big hopes I have, is that we can get back to being a country where people can understand what others are going through and have empathy for it and really try to help each other.”

Ms. Clinton went on to express her strong support for immigration reform legislation in Congress and said stories like Nova’s could help persuade reluctant legislators.

“I am strongly in favor of the legislation that passed the Senate. It was bipartisan; that’s rare these days. It passed and unfortunately the House of Representatives has not taken it up. And I think that was a big missed opportunity for our country,” said Ms. Clinton.

“I’m a huge supporter of immigration reform and a path to citizenship and will continue to advocate for that. And the more stories so that people … can put a real face on what it means to have been brought here when you were five years old, to have spent your entire life here, to have made your best efforts here,” she added, “that’s what immigration reform should be about.”

View the encounter, via pro-immigration reform group FWD.us, below:

Read more at http://observer.com/2014/04/hillary-...#ixzz2zBRZoPRu
    Last edited by HAPPY2BME; 04-17-2014 at 06:04 PM.
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Ms. Clinton was visibly taken aback.
    Bet she was, to a planted question.
    I'm old with many opinions few solutions.

Hillary leans on Bill and Barack to sell presidency

The “relay race” theme allows Hillary Clinton to surf on the accomplishments of her husband and her old boss, reaching many years into the past without showcasing her own lackluster record.
    Recently Hillary Clinton gave what appeared at first to be a rambling and unfocused answer when asked to name the proudest achievement of her four years as secretary of state. The short version is, she doesn’t have one. But Clinton’s words make a lot more sense when seen not as a nonanswer to a specific question but as an effort to lay the foundation and establish a theme for a presidential campaign.

The occasion was her appearance on a panel discussion at the Women in the World meeting in Manhattan. It was pretty easy going; the moderator, New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman, asked softball after softball. (Sample: Noting Clinton’s daughter, Chelsea, Friedman asked: “What have you learned from her?”)

Toward the end, Friedman turned to Clinton and said: “When you look at your time as secretary of state, what are you most proud of, and what do you feel was unfinished, maybe to have another crack at someday?”

Clinton and the audience laughed, because “another crack at someday” seemed an obvious back-door way of asking whether Clinton will run for president in 2016. But then she answered and revealed something critically important about her intentions.

“Look, I really see my role as secretary, and in fact, leadership in general in a democracy, as a relay race,” Clinton said.

“I mean, you run the best race you can run, you hand off the baton. Some of what hasn’t been finished may go on to be finished …”

The answer seemed to concede that there is no single, momentous thing Clinton can point to as having achieved during her years as the nation’s top diplomat. As she went on, Clinton instead linked herself to President Obama’s achievements — at least the Democratic version of them — not in the field of foreign affairs, but at home.

“We had the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, we had two wars, we had continuing threats from all kinds of corners around the world,” Clinton said.

Obama told her his top priority had to be dealing with the economic crisis, so he asked her to “represent us around the world.”

Clinton’s job was to “make it clear to the rest of the world that we were going to get our house in order.” But what did “in order” mean?

Clinton described it this way: “We were going to stimulate and grow and get back to positive growth and work with our friends and partners.”

On the basis of that “stimulate and grow” policy, Clinton continued, the United States returned to strength and can now deal with foreign crises like Ukraine without having to worry about a world economic collapse.

“I think we really restored American leadership in the best sense,” she said.

“That, you know, once again, people began to rely on us, to look at us as, you know, setting the values, setting the standards.”

Clinton promised to provide “a lot of particulars” in her upcoming memoir, due in June. But those last few words are likely to be the book’s message: She restored American leadership. Without any landmark achievement, she will claim credit — along with the president, of course — for restoring America’s place in the world.

It’s a vague and highly debatable argument. And in the end, at the Women in the World gathering, Clinton seemed to rely mostly on the Obama administration’s domestic accomplishments — or at least her version of them — to shore up the case for her performance as secretary of state. That is pretty much a non sequitur.

But in a larger sense, the “relay race” image may turn out to be the key to Hillary Clinton’s run for president. The campaign theme is pretty easy to sketch out. Her husband, President Bill Clinton, took the baton and ran with it, starting a period of great American progress. President George W. Bush dropped it, disastrously, but then Barack Obama picked up the Clinton baton and led America to recovery. Now it’s time to pass the baton yet again.

Should American voters give it to another Republican, who will surely mess things up like Bush, or should they hand it to Hillary Clinton, who will continue the magnificent work her husband began more than 20 years ago?

The “relay race” theme allows Hillary Clinton to surf on the accomplishments of her husband and her old boss, reaching many years into the past without showcasing her own lackluster record. For Democrats, it will be a happy story. For everyone else, it could be a hard sell.

Byron York is a nationally syndicated columnist.

http://www.theunion.com/opinion/1105...llary-american
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn