Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hispanic Drivers Accuse DMV Of Discrimination in NC

http://www.wxii12.com/news/13933559/det ... 12007&ts=H

Hispanic Drivers Accuse DMV Of Discrimination

POSTED: 4:57 pm EDT August 20, 2007
    UPDATED: 6:09 pm EDT August 20, 2007

HIGH POINT, N.C. -- For years, North Carolina's Department of Motor Vehicles was considered an easy place for Hispanic immigrants to get their driver's license.
    But several Hispanic drivers now say the Department of Motor Vehicles is discriminating against them.
    After getting a ticket for not having a North Carolina driver's license, Amilcar Vargas Mendoza went to the DMV office in High Point to get one.
    "I thought, 'It won't be a problem because I'm a U.S. citizen,' you know," he told WXII 12's Bill O'Neil.
    Mendoza, originally from Puerto Rico, said he presented DMV officers with his Puerto Rican driver's license and his Social Security card. DMV inspectors told him they believed the driver's license was fake and confiscated his documents.
    That was a month ago.
    "Now I'm working and I have to depend on other people," Mendoza said. "I don’t drive out of fear (a) cop will stop me and I'll get a ticket I can’t afford to pay."
    WXII 12 News contacted the DMV about Mendoza's case last week, and his documents were returned the next day.
    "The investigation lasted longer than it should have," a DMV spokesman said. "We're sorry for the inconvenience."
    The spokesman said they verified Mendoza's Social Security number but have no way to verify a driver's license issued by Puerto Rico.
    When O'Neil asked why the investigation took so long he was told by the spokesman, "Our first concern is to be careful."
    Mendoza called it "discrimination and persecution."
    The Spanish newspaper Que Pasa has documented other cases in which the DMV confiscated documents from drivers of Hispanic descent.
    Mendoza said he still doesn't have a driver's license and won't go back to the High Point office to get one.
    END OF AN ERA 1/20/2009

Who wrote this biased article?

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

DMV Employee Charged With Making Fake IDs

Holloman, Boyfriend Sold IDs To Feds

POSTED: 9:25 pm EDT August 15, 2007

HIGH POINT, N.C. -- A former Division of Motor Vehicles employee faces federal charges for distributing fake driver's licenses produced on the job.

A federal indictment stated that Gee Annette Holloman, 48, of High Point, has been charged along with her boyfriend, Timoteo Torres-Ulloa, who police said was an illegal immigrant, and Cornelio Portuguez Alvarez.

The indictment stated that the three worked to produce fake licenses sold to undercover officers in March.

Holloman was arrested Friday.

The three were charged with producing a fake driver's license, conspiracy to produce false documents and improper use of a Social Security number.

Holloman worked as a driver's license examiner from 2003 until March, finishing at the agency's Winston-Salem office. She and Torres-Ulloa were arrested on state charges in March.

http://www.wxii12.com/news/13903476/detail.html

bman wrote:
    I have been involved in three motoer vehicle accidents with drivers of hispanic descent, all their fault. each time the laws did nothing to protect me, a tax-paying U.S. citizen. A lady ran a red light and t-boned me sending my wife to the hospital. The drive had no insurance, no license, and had her 8 year old unrestrained. Guess who had to cever the expense? Me and my insurance company who raised my rate. Hit and run by another wothout a licens, insurance and drinkin ETOH. I ahad to cchase him down while on the phone with police. Again, I had to cover my own losses. I am not going to even bother to go on.....
    I want to klnow when the government is going to step up and make sure born and bred US citizens are going to be treated with concern..
    8/20/2007 9:49:50 PM
    Recommend (9) Report Abuse

vanbluemoon wrote:
    According to a article on WXII last week, I guess hispanics are complaining now since the arrest of a woman who worked for dmv and her illegal immigrant boyfriend that was arrested for selling fake licenses made at the dmv office in High Point.

http://www.wxii12.com/news/13903476/detail.html
    8/20/2007 9:02:45 PM
    Recommended (7) Report Abuse

ben wrote:
    This kind of reporting makes me sick,what a waste of your air time,and my time for watching,I have a close relationship with someone that works for DMV,if you want a real story why don't you investigate how they must bend over backwards for all the legal and illegal immigrants that come to our State everyday.The real story and outrage would be if WXII actually would investigate the things that go on daily at the DMV and all the time and man hours that is used sorting out who is legal and who is not.North Carolina even breaks federal laws when it comes to issuing commercial driver license.WXII how about reporting some real news rather than another poor ole Hispanic being wronged,hey it happens to all us poor white people daily.Do some real investagative reporting if you are not afraid of what you might expose.
    8/20/2007 8:46:37 PM
    Recommend (7) Report Abuse

mjs684wdw wrote:
    hey if they don't like the laws here they can go back to where ever they came from.. the laws here are for our protection, and ever since 911 we're decided to defend and protect our selves. that ought to be clear enought. do things the right way and they don't have to worry. i to defend the states dmv officers and their work. it's time for us to stand behind them.
    8/20/2007 7:52:26 PM
    Recommend (5) Report Abuse

gayle wrote:
    I understand the frustration Mr. Mendoza went through with DMV. However, he must understand that since 911 every DL office in the US has been given standards they must abide by. I worked for DMV in Fl for 21 years and as everyone knows Mr Atta who was on the plane that flew into the World Trade Towers received his DL from FL. We were drilled relentlessly on what we had to do when someone with a DL from another country came in to get a DL. I must come to defense of the DL office in High Point, they were only doing their job. We as Americans must stand behind the rules and regulations that each State puts in place to avoid such acts as 911. High Point DL office is one of the most accommodating and courteous DL offices in the area.
    Gayle Powell
    Trinity, NC
    8/20/2007 6:48:40 PM
    Recommend (6)

http://www.wxii12.com/news/13933559/det ... 12007&ts=H

These problems they should be blaming on the illegals. Thanks to them everything now has to gone over with a fine tooth comb.

They can't be dicriminating to badly seeing as every roofing/siding/hardwood floor contractor van in Central New Jersey has North Carolina plates on it (with NJ phone numbers, of course!). Now you know if I tried this scam I would be promptly arrested. Go figure.

That is strange............
    nobody takes credit for writing it.........
    but it was in the Winston Salem news.
    William, I think a smell a rat
    END OF AN ERA 1/20/2009

If I'm reading it right, it looks like a news story on WXii12. With the reporter being Bill O'Neil.

If I'm reading it right, it looks like a news story on WXii12. With the reporter being Bill O'Neil.
    mott, you are correct! I caught part of this on the wxii news last evening and Bill O'Neill was the reporter.
    www.wxii12.com

"Now I'm working and I have to depend on other people," Mendoza said. "I don’t drive out of fear (a) cop will stop me and I'll get a ticket I can’t afford to pay."
    ...as Laura Ingraham often says...Another Immigration Sob Story.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)