Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Hispanic group to grill McCain, Obama

Hispanic group to grill McCain, Obama
    Posted on Mon, Jul. 07, 2008reprint print email

BY DAVE MONTGOMERY
    dmontgomery@mcclatchydc.com
    WASHINGTON -- A leading Hispanic organization is demanding assurances from the two major presidential candidates that they'll push for comprehensive immigration revisions and dramatically increase Hispanic representation in the federal government.

John McCain and Barack Obama are scheduled to appear Tuesday before the 79th annual convention of the League of United Latin American Citizens as part of their continuing offensive to bolster their support among Hispanics, the nation's fastest-growing minority. More than 9 million Latinos are expected to vote in the November general election.

Leaders of LULAC said Monday that they planned to press McCain, the presumed Republican nominee, and Obama, the victor of a grueling Democratic primary race, for their positions on several issues that are important to Hispanics.

LULAC, the nation's largest and oldest Hispanic organization, with 115,000 members, is insisting that the next president support -- and force Congress to pass -- comprehensive immigration legislation that would create a guest-worker program and put millions of illegal immigrants on paths to citizenship.

LULAC leaders say that they'll also insist that Obama and McCain promise to reverse decades of inadequate representation by Hispanics in the federal work force. Hispanics constitute about 15 to 16 percent of the population but hold just more than 7 percent of federal jobs.

McCain, an Arizona senator, earlier worked with Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., to fashion broad immigration legislation that included the legalization and guest-worker provisions sought by LULAC and other groups. Obama, an Illinois senator, has supported similar measures during repeated -- and unsuccessful -- Senate debates on immigration over the past two years.

LULAC President Rosa Rosales of San Antonio said, however, that she didn't think that the two candidates ''have been very specific'' in explaining their stands on immigration as they head into the November election. McCain, in particular, has troubled immigration advocates by stressing border security over legalization for immigrants in recent months.

''I do not feel they've addressed it,'' Rosales said. She said she wanted the two candidates to give LULAC delegates ''a clear answer'' on immigration during their appearances Tuesday.

McCain is scheduled to address a LULAC ''diversity luncheon.'' His opponent will follow several hours later in a town-hall setting billed as ``an open dialogue with Obama.''

Although Hispanic voters have diverse political views and don't share a single monolithic stance on immigration, LULAC Executive Director Brent Wilkes said the vast majority wanted a comprehensive policy that would give legal safeguards and eventual citizenship to undocumented immigrants, most of whom are from Latin America.

''If they're against comprehensive immigration reform, they will not get the Latino vote, and they can't win,'' he said of the two candidates.

Delegates also will press the candidates for their stands on three other LULAC priorities: educational opportunities for children, access to healthcare and civil rights.

http://www.miamiherald.com/campaign08/story/596713.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

''If they're against comprehensive immigration reform, they will not get the Latino vote, and they can't win,'' he said of the two candidates.
    If they're FOR "amnesty" they will not get the AMERICAN vote and can't win. Sooo, 9% vs 40-70%? Hmmm, looks like a no-brainer to me!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
    If they're FOR "amnesty" they will not get the AMERICAN vote and can't win. Sooo, 9% vs 40-70%? Hmmm, looks like a no-brainer to me!
    these groups seem to have a very high opinion of thier political powers.
    We can't deport them all ? Just think of the fun we could have trying!

They want answers but when I called Obama's office - he's my senator after all - I was told "Obama votes his conscience and doesn't need your input." How wonderful he places illegals ahead of American citizens.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

A leading Hispanic organization is demanding assurances from the two major presidential candidates that they'll push for comprehensive immigration revisions and dramatically increase Hispanic representation in the federal government.
    His=panics need to go back to their his=panic countries and get representation from their his=panic government.
    Americans don't want the U.S. to be only a his=panic country, so it ain't happening.

Americans already said No to shamnesty many times. What part of No don't the liberals/illegals get?
    <div>GOD - FAMILY - COUNTRY</div>

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieMay
    They want answers but when I called Obama's office - he's my senator after all - I was told "Obama votes his conscience and doesn't need your input." How wonderful he places illegals ahead of American citizens.
    And here I thought he was elected to be the voice of his VOTERS? So if he wins POTUS, his attitude will be "he doesn't need our input"? Oh yeah, I feel sooo much better.

I vote with my conscience too, Nobama; and it's telling me I don't need you!
    "