Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hispanic group opposes penalty for hiring aliens

Hispanic group opposes penalty for hiring aliens
    Saturday, February 18, 2006
    By DAVID HOLDEN
    Times Staff Writer, dholden@htimes.com
    http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/ ... xml&coll=1

A law to punish businesses that hire illegal immigrants is unacceptable, a group of Hispanic advocates told the Madison County Commission on Friday.

They also resent illegal immigrants being summarily characterized as criminals, they said.

Commissioner Morris Brooks, who has pushed for a new law aimed at businesses the hire illegals, said if people are in this country illegally, they are breaking the law and are criminals.

Immigration committee

Several members of the Hispanic Coalition attended the first meeting of the Madison County Commission's Committee on Immigration. The committee, made up of all seven commissioners, was created in December after Brooks requested endorsement for his Stop Employment of Illegal Aliens Act.

The commissioners endorsement would have urged the Madison County legislative delegation to introduce the measure for consideration during the current legislative session.

The proposed bill calls for making hiring an illegal alien a felony offense with punishment of up to 10 years in prison and a fine up to $5,000.

4-to-3 rejection

The commission rejected Brooks' proposal in December on a 4-to-3 vote along party lines, four Democrats to three Republicans.

Commission Chairman Mike Gillespie, a Democrat, introduced a new resolution Friday calling for the county to instead endorse two bills before the state Legislature and one already approved by the U.S. House of Representatives.

Gillespie said those measures would strengthen the country's borders against illegal immigration by closing loopholes that allow illegal immigrants to stay in the country.

"I believe this is the extent that we can address this issue," he said.

Brooks and Commissioner Faye Dyer objected to the term "illegal immigrants" in the text of Gillespie's resolution.

"I have a problem calling them illegal immigrants," Dyer said. She said the resolution should call them aliens.

Margaret Rotger, a member of the Hispanic Coalition, said calling undocumented immigrants aliens is derogatory.

The committee is scheduled to reconvene after the next commission meeting on March 1.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Well, that settles that.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Margaret Rotger, a member of the Hispanic Coalition, said calling undocumented immigrants aliens is derogatory.
    tough! Calling them undocumented immigrants is ignorant according to JuniusJnr!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Brooks and Commissioner Faye Dyer objected to the term "illegal immigrants" in the text of Gillespie's resolution.

"I have a problem calling them illegal immigrants," Dyer said. She said the resolution should call them aliens.
    This shows that Commissioner Faye Dyer is not aware of Federal law.

(n) Illegal alien means any person who is not lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the United States or who has not been authorized by the Attorney General to accept employment in the United States.

A person who is not a citizen of the United States is an "alien" as defined by Federal law. They are not "immigrants" as Ms. Dyer likes to think.
    They are either an "undocumented" or an "illegal" alien--both terms are used.

Maybe they should find somebody with an IQ over 50 to be a commissioner there.
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

Banned
    I sent them a little sarcastic note from their web page. :P :P

Referring to illegal aliens as illegal "immigrants" is derogatory to LEGAL IMMIGRANTS, who had the honor and self respect to come here legally. What the H___ is the matter with these idiots!!!

I'll contact both the commisioners who said this and the Hispanic Coalition and explain the difference, but I doubt they will be able to comprehendo.