Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hispanic Group Steps Out On Immigration

Hispanic Group Steps Out On Immigration

By: Joe Murray, The Bulletin
    03/28/2007

When one thinks of the immigration debate that is raging from Connecticut to California, recent television images of angry Latinos crowding city streets, waving Mexican flags and sporting signs for amnesty come to mind.

On the flip side, people picture the vigilante border patrol that spends its days trying to fill the Texas-sized gaps left by an impotent immigration policy. Thus, in the mainstream media, immigration has become a battle of images, not ideas.

Take, for instance, this weekend. A massive immigration protest was held in Los Angeles and news organizations from Fox to MSNBC had pictures of 500,000 Latinos in the streets decrying attempts to crack down on illegal immigration. This, according to reporters, is the Hispanic voice on immigration.

But do all Hispanics agree with their brethren in the streets of L.A.? Are all Latinos for open borders and amnesty? Well, one national Hispanic group begs to differ.

You Don't Speak for Me (YDSM), a national grassroots coalition of Hispanics, has decided to shatter the media stereotype that there is only one voice in the immigration debate.

Formed in April 2006, YDSM is the brainchild of Col. Al Rodriguez. After watching scores of reports covering the immigration issue, Col. Rodriguez became fed up that all Hispanics were being lumped together in this debate.

YDSM's Web site explains that it was formed because "American Hispanic voices are being shouted down by the hate and race-directed rhetoric of those who do not appreciate the laws of our country. We of You Don't Speak for Me give voice to those without a voice and those whose opposition to illegal immigration is drowned out by illegal aliens and their supporters marching in the streets demanding undeserved 'rights' of U.S. citizens."

"The mainstream media has long been portraying that all Hispanics held a monolithic view on immigration, this is not the case" explained Marriann Davies, vice chair of YDSM. "Large immigration advocacy groups have spent a great deal of money and air time trying to portray their view as the only view... we are trying to fix that."

For the past few years, the immigration debate has been steadily reaching a boiling point in the United States. From the Hazleton trial that recently concluded in Scranton to the passage of a law that would erect a fence on the border, immigration has been a focal point in American politics.

And with the media spending more time on the issue, immigration groups, such as the National Council of La Raza, have been monopolizing the debate and carefully crafting what they deem the universal Hispanic response to America's attempt to curtail the 150,000 illegal immigrants apprehended each month by the Border Patrol. Davies believes YDSM is poised to break the Hispanic monopoly on immigration.

But as history has taught, breaking monopolies requires a monumental amount of effort and is a process that produces a great deal of hostility - especially among those who are the beneficiaries of the monopoly.

While Davies told The Bulletin that YDSM has been met with an "incredible, positive response," she is also quick to note that many of the left-wing, established, Latino immigrant rights group are not too please with YDSM's emergence onto the political scene.

Davies charges open border groups with peddling lies and misinformation in order to distract form the real issues presented by the immigration debate. One mistruth that greatly troubles Davis is the use of the "race card" to establish the parameters of the immigration debate and muzzle its dissidents.

"This debate has nothing to due with race," stated Davies.

To this advocate, the debate centers squarely on the issues of national security and the over 12 million illegal immigrants already north of the border. Davies argues that such issues are at the heart of the debate and race is nothing more than a red herring used by a powerful lobby unable to engage the marketplace of ideas on merit.

Much to the chagrin of Davies opponents, her contention appears to be rooted in fact, not fiction. In his book, State of Emergency, former presidential candidate Patrick J. Buchanan highlights how the presence of illegals has birth many dangers within the four corners of the nation.

According to Buchanan, 95 percent of all outstanding warrants for homicide in Los Angeles bear the names of illegal immigrants and one in twelve people entering the United States illegally have a criminal record.

Buchanan also notes 10 to 20 percent of the peoples of Mexico and Central America have already moved to America.

Davies also added that "30 percent of those in prison are illegal immigrants and just recently the Department of Homeland Security reported that there are 600,000 illegal alien fugitives in the nation."

Hence, Davies asserts that these are the issues that must be addressed by the immigration debate.

According to Davies, the folks opposing "common sense" immigration measures don't have retorts for such statistics, and thus play one of the few cards they can-the race card.

"They are playing the race card to silence those they do not want to hear," said Davies.

And it is a safe bet that such groups to not want to hear from YDSM.
    "The very fact that our group exists discredits these organizations," argued Davies.

Because YDSM is a Hispanic organization that opposes open borders and supports basic border security measures, the organization's existence calls into the question the racist label the open border lobby has placed on anti-immigration advocates.

"How could such policies be racist if they are supported by Hispanics," asked Davies.

And within the contours of this question lies the very reason YDSM came into being.

YDSM, however, recognizes it has an uphill battle as the young organization must compete against a well-funded and well-organized Hispanic lobby on the immigration issue.

"Such groups have almost unlimited funding," stated Davies. "The average U.S. citizen supporting our movement does not have the money possessed by these groups, and must try and juggle their work, family and activism."

Nonetheless, Davies believes that YDSM brings a fresh voice to the table and that dynamic will permit the organization to win this David and Goliath like battle.

"We have a point of view that has been out there in America, but has just not been heard yet," commented Davies.

YDSM, thus, plans to give a voice to the voiceless.

And with the 2008 presidential racing heating up and immigration moving to the front of the line in terms of key issues, it appears that the perfect political storm is forming that will bestow YDSM an opportunity to break the myth of the monolithic Hispanic viewpoint on immigration.

"The sticking issue for this election will be what to do with the millions of illegal immigrants already here," explained Davies.

And to date, she is not pleased with the answers provided by the first tier of presidential candidates.

Hence, the nation will soon see if these politicians are able to hear the new voice in the immigration debate.

For more information, visit www.dontspeakforme.org.

Joe Murray can be reached at jmurray@thebulletin.us

http://www.thebulletin.us/site/news.cfm ... 6361&rfi=6

Thanks for that link. I am proud to call those represented my
    fellow Americans.

didnt know hispanic was a race, i thoght it was an ethnicity.

didnt know that being illegal was a race, i thought it meant lawbreaker.

hmmmmm i guess these people dont understand we dont want anyone here illegally, no matter what country they come from. just cuz the majority of them are hispanic does not mean we the american people are against hispanics.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62
    hmmmmm i guess these people dont understand we dont want anyone here illegally, no matter what country they come from. just cuz the majority of them are hispanic does not mean we the american people are against hispanics.
    Perfectly stated james62!

I've said it before: if I were hispanic I would be comletely embarassed by the hispanic pro-alien crowd and their utter selfish stupidity.

Also, and unfortunately, the majority of America, whether they admit it or not, are now more likely to look at "me" and wonder if, in fact, I was "legal".

Grrrrr.
    Just because you're used to something doesn't make it right.