Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

OR: Hispanic groups ask for more time for new license rule

Hispanic groups ask for more time for new driver's license rule

Save a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.comSave a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.com
    Email a link to this articleEmail a link to this article
    Printer-friendly version of this articlePrinter-friendly version of this article
    View a list of the most popular articles on our siteView a list of the most popular articles on our site
    YouNewsTV YouNewsTV™

Story Published: Dec 31, 2007 at 6:38 PM PST

Story Updated: Dec 31, 2007 at 6:39 PM PST
    By Associated Press
    Video

SALEM, Ore. (AP) - Hispanic groups delivered more than 5,000 petition signatures Monday to Oregon's Driver and Motor Services Division in Salem seeking a year's delay of new rules making it harder for those who cannot prove legal residence to get licenses.

The new rules were signed as an executive order by Governor Kulongoski in November.

As of now, immigrants who get an ID card, which the Mexican Consulate in Portland issues, can use it to apply for the license under the existing rules. After the February 4 deadline it will require proof of legal residence, such as a green card of valid Social Security number, to get a license.

Farmworkers' union leader Ramon Ramirez says they don't have time to inform the tens of thousands of people who may be affected of the executive order and that they need an extension.

Most states do not allow undocumented immigrants to get drivers licenses.

Kulongoksi says he would support a secondary "driving only" permit allowing people without proper documentation to continue to drive legally. That would require legislative approval, but lawmakers have been reluctant to support it.

Utah is the only state that has such a system.

(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

http://www.katu.com/news/12950282.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    Farmworkers' union leader Ramon Ramirez says they don't have time to inform the tens of thousands of people who may be affected of the executive order and that they need an extension.
    Please, give me a break! I honestly can't understand why the illegals were even given until February.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: OR: Hispanic groups ask for more time for new license ru

[quote="PhredE"]Hispanic groups ask for more time for new driver's license rule
    "Farmworkers' union leader Ramon Ramirez says they don't have time to inform the tens of thousands of people who may be affected of the executive order and that they need an extension."

If the tens of thousands of could understand english they would know already and if they do not speak english there are several spanish speaking station that should be giving out this info.. !

Why do they need to inform everyone in person? If they bothered to read a newspaper now and then, they would know, otherwise, won't they find out when they apply for a driver's license? They should have their Green Card and a Social Security card handy anyways. If they don't, it shouldn't take a year to get a replacement. They would find a way if these things were needed for employment.

Ok I have a problem with "hispanic" groups asking for special favors as more time. No other ethnic group is asking for this. Why do I have a problem? Well, it makes it seem that all hispanics are so stupid we can't do anything without having activists doing everything for us. I take offense at being lumped with illiterate, uneducated people.

When did this become an ethnic problem? Don't uneducated people come from all ethnic groups? If so, why don't we hear of them?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Hi there Miguelina. I came to the same conclusion after reading it, and that was largely what prompted me to post the article here.

One thing I'll add to the above and really wasn't mentioned, is that our local Farm Worker groups are really more than just organized (even if loosely) labor unions or cooperatives. They are fully politically active on a range of social issues, and the labor union part is just one facet of the whole array of activities. Plus, the local Mexican Consulate has been VERY active in 'public outreach' in meeting with citizens [Mexican nationals] and explaining to them how to 'acquire' social services, medical care, unemployment/welfare, childcare assistance, etc. - historically, at least [this has been ended or greatly reduced in the last 6-12 months or so. So, the labor leader guy is using this issue to sort of 'bully pulpit' on a range of other issues as well.

Up until recently, our governor Kulongoski, would have happily chummed along with all this - but the outrage locally about the high profile IA crimes combined with DLs/IDs to IA was really forced him to change his tune (at least a little...)

(I hope that helps a little...)

I wonder if the US Consulate in Mexcio is as vocal at Mexico's inability to create economic opportunities for its citizens so that 30 million of them do not have to invade the United States illegally. Probably not since doing so would get our diplomants removed from that country. Mexcio would tell us to mind our own business just as our elected officials should remind the Mexican Consulate to do.

What is Mexcio going to do if we tell them to mind their own business. Send fewer illegal invaders North to leech off the United States.