Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hispanic Heritage Month offers a chance to celebrate culture

It's fine and worthy to celebrate your culture within the U.S. as long as your LEGAL residents or assimilated American citizens. But, after reading this article...does the word "illegal" or the term "illegal alien" have any meaning??? Does the phrase "abide by the laws of the country you have immigrated to" become a guiding principle?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hispanic Heritage Month offers a chance to celebrate culture

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 7cddf.html
    12:00 AM CDT on Saturday, September 8, 2007
    Mercedes Olivera molivera@dallasnews.com

Sometimes, what the left hand giveth, the right hand taketh away.

Nothing could be truer for many Latinos in the country today, especially those who have come to this country without the legal documents.

Latino immigrants come with a dream that all immigrants have brought with them since the country's inception – a new and better life for their families.

But that dream has become a nightmare for many immigrant families who've been caught up in the immigration raids that have resulted in thousands being deported and families being separated.

Against this backdrop, Hispanic Heritage Month approaches. So why is it important to celebrate it at all, if a large segment of the Latino community now lives in fear of discovery?

Well, if nothing else, some say it's important to reaffirm the contributions of Hispanics to this country since its founding. When are these achievements discussed in a more public manner of acceptance?

For Fort Worth poet Tammy Gomez, the annual observance from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15 is a positive opportunity for both Hispanics and non-Hispanics to unify.

"We get to remind ourselves as U.S.-icans that we merit cultural focus and positive affirmation," she said in an e-mail. "And, non-Hispanics get to celebrate that with us, enjoying a little cumbia and ceviche on the side."

She adds that "ours is not merely – as some would scoff – a heritage of sneaking and evading, in order to live life on this side of the Mexican border. Hispanic heritage is actually a multicultural reality" that draws from many Latin American countries with their mixed indigenous and European and African bloodlines.

For Roberto Calderón, history professor at the University of North Texas in Denton, the current anti-immigration backlash is having an unintended consequence – a heightened sense of Latino identity. Hence, a greater need to celebrate it.

"A lot of Latinos who might otherwise not be paying attention to the fiestas during Hispanic Heritage Month might pay special attention this year," Dr. Calderón said this week. "This year's Fiestas Patrias may be just a little more memorable."

University of Texas journalism professor Mercedes de Uriarte has another perspective. She said that she would prefer to see a much broader and integrated exploration of Latino history and culture and that it not be limited to 30 days – "our one month of visibility."

She'd prefer to see a "coalition month," she said, when the contributions of all ethnic groups and nationalities to the nation's heritage are lauded.

"It started out as a good idea, but we should be long past 30 days."

Ethnic celebrations have been part of our national panorama for centuries. Germans and Italians were among the most recent immigrant groups who worked their way onto our national consciousness.

The Irish still wave their flags during St. Patrick's Day celebrations, and Czech traditions still endure in parts of Texas.

But they all have one thing in common – a strong sense of forging an American identity.

Should Hispanics, with their deep historical and cultural roots in this part of the country, be any different?

"Where would we be today as a country without spaghetti and Tony Soprano?" said state Rep. Rafael AnchÃ*a, D-Dallas, pointing out that it is the different elements of our U.S. culture that make us unique among nations.

Those who would paint Latinos as unwilling to assimilate have forgotten the country's history or know little about the immigrant experience.

Mr. AnchÃ*a, the son of immigrants, grew up in Miami, where he blended easily into the largely Cuban population.

"Most of the elected officials were Latinos, the school principals were officials, and the ROTC classes were 100 percent Latino," he said. "We took the Pledge of Allegiance seriously, sang the national anthem proudly. We were all proud of being Americans, and those who were not, desperately desired to become Americans.

"It doesn't resonate with me that Latino immigrants are not assimilating. That's why they're here."
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Well, if nothing else, some say it's important to reaffirm the contributions of Hispanics to this country since its founding."

MANY contributions!

Murders, DUI manslaughters, rapes, sexual abuse of children, theft, car-jackings, anchor babies, draining social services, overcrowing schools, hospitals and prisons, trashing entire neighborhoods......yes, LOTS of contributions.

Mr. AnchÃ*a, the son of immigrants, grew up in Miami, where he blended easily into the largely Cuban population.

"Most of the elected officials were Latinos, the school principals were officials, and the ROTC classes were 100 percent Latino," he said. "We took the Pledge of Allegiance seriously, sang the national anthem proudly. We were all proud of being Americans, and those who were not, desperately desired to become Americans.

"It doesn't resonate with me that Latino immigrants are not assimilating. That's why they're here."
    When Mr. Anchia compares Cubans in Miami to the millions of illegals entering this country each year, he's missing the fact that most Cubans were able to come to the U.S. legally due to Cuba being a Communist country-that's not to say that some haven't come illegally, but their history in Miami is, mainly, of legal entry. Now, many can debate whether we should have had such a policy with Cuban migration, but the fact is that their situation is not the same as that of most illegals crossing our borders today or overstaying their VISAS. I think because most Cubans came here legally and are thankful for the U.S. help in escaping Castro, they have a deeper respect for law. Latino's are not a monolithic group...no group is whether we're referring to blacks, whites, asians, hispanics, or arabs. Individuals are more than just the color of their skin, their ethnicity, their gender, and their religious beliefs...how you act and what you believe is not merely determined by skin hue, gender, or any other single characteristic. I wish more Latino's who are citizens of the U.S. or legal permanent residents realized that they are being used by proponents pushing for amnesty for all illegals...they should realize that they are, in a sense, being told that since you are Hispanic, you must believe in blanket amnesty and open borders, and if you do not believe in these things, you are a traitor to Hispanics. They should think for themselves and consider the fact that granting blanket amnesty cheapens everyone's U.S. citizenship and/or legal entry into this country. And, let me add, when the Haitians try to enter this country illegally, many Cubans in Miami are far from happy and expect those individuals to be returned to Haiti quickly due to their unlawful entry into the U.S. Since Haitians are not from Communist Cuba, they are treated quite differently under our immigration laws than Cubans who try to enter the U.S. illegally. If Cuban illegals reach land, they are allowed to stay in the U.S., while Haitians are returned to their home country (a country which is probably in worse economic shape than Cuba). I certainly expect Mr. Anchia to be patriotic and loyal to this great country that allowed his family to escape the hell that is Castro's Cuba.
    <div>"The making of an American begins at the point where he himself rejects all other ties, any other history, and himself adopts the vesture of his adopted land."**
    -James Baldwin, American Writer</div>

Against this backdrop, Hispanic Heritage Month approaches. So why is it important to celebrate it at all, if a large segment of the Latino community now lives in fear of discovery?
    And whose fault is that? It would NEVER occur to me to violate some country's laws and expect to live on without consequences.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

What the hell am I?

Hispanic, Latin, Mexican, Chicano....It seems they don't know who they are.

I know what I am thank you an AMERICAN yes with Mexican and Spanish ancestry.

Can't wait for the AMERICAN HERTIGAGE MONTH

Senior Member NoIllegalsAllowed's Avatar
    hispanic heritage month is a sham.

I personally have hispanic culture shoved in my face on daily basis so I see no point in having a holiday so I can have more of it shoved in my face.

But what about American culture? Oh I forgot, they say we have no culture and American wouldn't be "diversity"...
    Free Ramos and Compean NOW!