Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hispanic Leaders call for Immigration Reform within 100 days

http://www.thehill.com/thehill/export/T ... ation.html -

Hispanic leaders call for reform on immigration within 100 days
    By Alexander Bolton

National Hispanic leaders are pressing House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) to make immigration reform a top priority within the first 100 days of the new Congress, citing the large numbers of Hispanics who turned out to vote for Democrats in November.

Several of the largest Hispanic advocacy groups in the country, the League of United Latin American Citizens, the Southwest Voter Registration Education Project and the Hispanic Federation, plan to stage a massive grassroots campaign to pressure House lawmakers to move quickly on immigration. They will team with America Votes, one of the nation’s largest liberal voter-mobilization groups, to push reform.

“As you prepare to lead the 110th Congress of the United States of America, we urge you to make immigration reform one of your top priorities during the first 100 days of the new Congress,” the president of LULAC, Rosa Rosales, and the president of the Hispanic Federation, Lillian Rodriguez-Lopez, wrote in a letter delivered to Pelosi and Reid over the weekend.

LULAC describes itself as the country’s largest and oldest Hispanic civil rights organization. The Hispanic Federation is a coalition of about 100 local groups, most based in the New York area.

Hispanic leaders expect the Senate to take up immigration this year, and Reid has included the issue among his top 10 legislative priorities. But the House is a different story, say advocates of reform.

Pelosi and other House Democrats have said little about what legislation they will take up after completing their 100-hour agenda, a collection of relatively uncontroversial bills over which Democrats have reached consensus.

Beyond the first 100 hours it’s hard to speculate” about what Democrats will focus on, Pelosi spokesman Drew Hammill said. Hammill said Pelosi has discussed immigration reform with President Bush and that both have agreed it should be a “priority.”

Hammill said immigration reform proposals would undergo the regular order of the legislative process, a series of subcommittee and committee hearings and markups, which would affect the timing.

Hispanic leaders are making two clear statements: Reform should include a path to legal residency for the 12 million illegal immigrants now working in the U.S., and a guest-worker program supported by President Bush, which would require foreign workers to return home after several years, is inadequate. They also oppose the building of a fence along the Mexican border intended to stem the flow of immigration.

“Immigrants have dedicated themselves to this country through hard work and determination and America has benefited accordingly,” Rosales and Rodriguez-Lopez wrote. “[T]hey deserve an orderly pathway to legalize their status in the U.S. so they can emerge from society’s shadows into the light of day.”

Hispanic support for Democrats shot up in November compared to 2004. Sixty-nine percent of self-identified Latino voters cast ballots for Democratic candidates, according to national exit-poll data. Only 30 percent voted for Republican candidates. Republican pollsters have said that GOP candidates must receive 40 percent of Hispanic votes to win future elections. Strategists have come to see these voters as crucial because the Hispanic population is the fastest-growing major racial demographic in the country.

But in recent months House Democrats have shied away from the issue for fear of angering conservative-leaning white voters, whom Republican strategists hoped to court in 2006 by pushing strict and punitive immigration proposals.

House Democrats did not mention immigration in “A New Direction for America,” the broad agenda document they made public shortly before the election. The omission drew angry responses from congressional leaders such as Reps. Jose Serrano (D-N.Y.), a senior member of the Appropriations Committee, and Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill.), who heads the Congressional Hispanic Caucus’s Immigration Task Force.

“I’m very sad and disappointed that comprehensive immigration reform is not a key and pivotal point for the Democrats,” Gutierrez told The Hill in September.

Political strategists who have concentrated on Hispanic outreach say that Democrats have a golden opportunity to capitalize on the increased political attention of Hispanics because of last year’s immigration debate, but that chance could soon pass.

“I think if Democrats want to take advantage of this great disenchantment of Latinos of Republicans, they’re going to have to pass immigration reform this year,” said Simon Rosenberg, president of the New Democrat Network, an advocacy group that spent $2 million before the election to promote Democratic candidates to Hispanics.

“When Democrats got elected in 2006, they got elected to solve immigration,” he said. “I think Hispanics were about 8 percent of the national electorate and there was an enormous swing in the number of Hispanics who turned out.”

Immigration reform that creates a path to citizenship for illegal workers is seen as having strong support in the Senate. Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.), two of the most influential lawmakers of their respective parties, teamed up to craft a popular bill last year. Lobbyists said they expect the Senate to take up and pass reform before the House, a reversal from the usual course of most bills that first pass the lower chamber.

Rosales said in an interview that LULAC’s board of directors would meet Feb. 8 and 9 to discuss the upcoming lobbying campaign.

“What we’ll decide there [at the meeting] is that comprehensive immigration reform is a top priority,” she said. “I can assure you that our 115,000 members will reach out to their election officials.”

Rosales said her organization would team with America Votes and the Southwest Voter Registration Education Project.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The arrogance nevers seems to stop. Securing our borders is the top priority on my list!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I guess we are going to have to start blitzing our US. congressmen and Senators to hang tough on this Amnesty, not sure they can stop it since they are no longer in the majoriety, I am really not that knowledgeable about politics would they be able to , what do they call it when they talk a thing to death on the floor? Oh yea, the filibuster thing they do when they want to prevent something from getting done!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

MW
    LULAC describes itself as the country’s largest and oldest Hispanic civil rights organization. The Hispanic Federation is a coalition of about 100 local groups, most based in the New York area.
    For the life of me, I can't figure out why all the anti-illegal groups don't come together and form a national coalition. No one can deny that there is strength in numbers. IMO, this can be accomplished with all the individual groups maintaining their own identity and base. We wouldn't have to work together on everything, but it does seem we could work together on a lot more projects than we have in the past. For example, a lot of us came together on the Miller boycott with excellent results. I think it's time to start pushing the envelope, because 6 months from now is going to be too late.

I don't suspect my thoughts will grow any legs, but wanted to share them anyway.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Awfully darn nice of 'em to give the House 100 days. Or what will happen I wonder? Maybe another day all the politicians and Hollywood dumbasses will have to have no maid service ahhh. I don't eat tacos anyway so it won't bother me.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

April
    MW wrote:

For the life of me, I can't figure out why all the anti-illegal groups don't come together and form a national coalition. No one can deny that there is strength in numbers. IMO, this can be accomplished with all the individual groups maintaining their own identity and base. We wouldn't have to work together on everything, but it does seem we could work together on a lot more projects than we have in the past. For example, a lot of us came together on the Miller boycott with excellent results. I think it's time to start pushing the envelope, because 6 months from now is going to be too late.
    That is an excellent idea and there is strength in numbers. I agree 6 months from now is going to be too late. The one thing that can be counted on from you MW is you always have good ideas.

MW
    April wrote:

The one thing that can be counted on from you MW is you always have good ideas.
    Thanks, April.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

First they invade, now they issue threats? I call this a war!

MW, that is a great idea, sounds like a good question for William ask him!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Republican pollsters have said that GOP candidates must receive 40 percent of Hispanic votes to win future elections.
    How do they know this?? They assume how we are going to vote because every single county and city in every state is labeled by Party. If we all went out and changed our registration to Independent, it would screw up the whole system. They would actually have to work for our votes and not assume anything. This would totally stop the pandering to particular groups. That 40% represents only about 3% of the electorate! It doesn't seem to bother them if they pi$$ off 90% of the electorate in order to get that 3-4%!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast