Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Hispanics claim targeting Some police are profiling

Hispanics claim targeting
    KELLY KERR / Tulsa World
    By DEON HAMPTON World Staff Writer Deon Hampton 581-8413
    deon.hampton@tulsaworld.com
    11/3/2007
    Police are accused of singling out immigrants.

Some police are profiling Hispanics in the wake of the state’s new anti-illegal immigration law, the Rev. Victor Orta said Friday.

A small number of rogue police officers are targeting undocumented immigrants in attempts to have them deported two days after House Bill 1804 went into effect, Tulsa Hispanic leaders said Friday.

Officers will always take the law into their own hands and cross the line, the Rev. Victor Orta said at a press conference.

Police officers recently pulled over a legal American Hispanic while he was driving with his girlfriend and later arrested him because he couldn't prove his identity, Orta said.

The police then told the girlfriend that she should feel lucky that the bill hadn't gone into effect yet, or she would have faced felony charges for "transporting" an illegal immigrant Orta said.

He also spoke of area Hispanics being asked for green cards upon entering their respective apartment complexes.

"The panic level is high," Orta said.

He declined to provide specific details on the incidents, including names.

"I want to protect their privacy," Orta said.

Russell Abbott, an attorney representing many illegal immigrants, also believes local law enforcement are racially profiling Hispanics.

Officers are looking to hand out nuisance traffic tickets in hopes of catching illegal aliens, he said.

"On the surface, it seems like discrimination," Abbott said.

Tulsa County Undersheriff Brian Edwards has said the sheriff's office is only checking the residency status of people who are arrested, not victims or witnesses.

The new law makes it a felony to knowingly transport illegal aliens; creates state barriers to hiring illegal immigrants; requires state contractors to check the immigration status of workers after July 1; and requires proof of citizenship to receive certain government benefits.

Tulsa resident LouAnn Beavers attended the news conference, held at the Greater Tulsa Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, as a concerned citizen.

Beavers said she has many friends in fear of deportation, which would split their families.

"I know someone who may pack up her grandchildren and drive to Mexico to meet the children's father once he is arrested and deported by police," she said.

Orta said he believe that police aren't planning to raid homes or set up road blocks to capture Hispanics.

However, after learning the Tulsa County Sheriff's Office planned to conduct a routine roadside safety check Friday night, Orta warned Hispanics to stay home at all costs.

"There's a need to be cautious," Orta said.

The sheriff's office said the roadblock wasn't targeting illegal immigrants and was part of a continuing traffic safety effort.

Connection Clinic, a federally qualified health clinic, plans to offer help for Hispanic children traumatized by events.

"We have bilingual counselors and psychologists to help the children cope during this difficult time," said Laurie Paul, the executive director.

Orta said many children need counseling due to broken families and other reasons.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DA!!

One doesn’t shot a duck when deer hunting!
    <div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>

Hispanics claim targeting
    KELLY KERR / Tulsa World
    By DEON HAMPTON World Staff Writer Deon Hampton 581-8413
    deon.hampton@tulsaworld.com
    11/3/2007
    Police are accused of singling out immigrants.

Some police are profiling Hispanics in the wake of the state’s new anti-illegal immigration law, the Rev. Victor Orta said Friday.

A small number of rogue police officers are targeting undocumented immigrants in attempts to have them deported two days after House Bill 1804 went into effect, Tulsa Hispanic leaders said Friday.

Officers will always take the law into their own hands and cross the line, the Rev. Victor Orta said at a press conference.

Police officers recently pulled over a legal American Hispanic while he was driving with his girlfriend and later arrested him because he couldn't prove his identity, Orta said.

Russell Abbott, an attorney representing many illegal immigrants, also believes local law enforcement are racially profiling Hispanics.

Tulsa County Undersheriff Brian Edwards has said the sheriff's office is only checking the residency status of people who are arrested, not victims or witnesses.

Beavers said she has many friends in fear of deportation, which would split their families.
    "I know someone who may pack up her grandchildren and drive to Mexico to meet the children's father once he is arrested and deported by police," she said.

However, after learning the Tulsa County Sheriff's Office planned to conduct a routine roadside safety check Friday night, Orta warned Hispanics to stay home at all costs.

"There's a need to be cautious," Orta said.

The sheriff's office said the roadblock wasn't targeting illegal immigrants and was part of a continuing traffic safety effort.

Connection Clinic, a federally qualified health clinic, plans to offer help for Hispanic children traumatized by events.

"We have bilingual counselors and psychologists to help the children cope during this difficult time," said Laurie Paul, the executive director.

Orta said many children need counseling due to broken families and other reasons.
    I may be wrong but is the case of illegal immigration I do not see anything wrong with racial profiling. It did not cause a problem in the 50s and the got the job done. If you are here legally you should have not problem proving it. I am a citizen and at any time I can prove that I am with identification I have with me at all times. Especially when I am driving.
    The grandmother is doing the right thing by transporting the children back to their deported father.
    They cannot stay held up in the home forever. They will have to come out. If they are illlegal they should leave.
    They need to accept the new law and leave the country with their children, They cause the separation, the tramatizing and it is not necessary if they take them with them when they leave.
    Why would the children need bilingual counselors?

I'll ask again "What should happen when a person can't prove his/her identity during a traffic stop?" It would seem that everyone wanted by the police would just say they don't have their ID with them and give a fake name. Can you see where I'm going with this? Illegals need to be worried, just like any other law breaker would be worried about getting caught. It's just that Latinos have had their way for so long, they actually think they have the right to invade and colonize The US with impunity.

Quote Originally Posted by MadInChicago
    DA!!

Look like a duck, walk like a duck must be a duck.
    If you are here legally you should have no problem with racial profiling. My father, in the 50s was often mistaken for an illegal alien, and had no problem proving he was not.
    When a bank is robbed, officers look for anyone that fits the description. They may be driving a blue van and oll blue van are stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by dyehard39
    Quote Originally Posted by MadInChicago
    DA!!

Look like a duck, walk like a duck, quack like a duck, must be a duck.
    If you are here legally you should have no problem with racial profiling. My father, in the 50s was often mistaken for an illegal alien, and had no problem proving he was not.
    When a bank is robbed, officers look for anyone that fits the description. They may be driving a blue van and oll blue van are stopped.

If your breaking the law you should be a little bit worried about being caught.

If your going to drive you need to have your license, registration and insurance in order. When I don't I worry!

Why should someone get preferential treatment when they don't because of their skin color?

P.S. Link to the story with Comment Section.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...A11_hPoli60366

It’s called failure to ID … And that goes for everyone not just Hispanics

MW
    He declined to provide specific details on the incidents, including names.

"I want to protect their privacy," Orta said.

It makes it much easier to fabricate and exaggerate when avoiding the specifics, doesn't it Mr. Orta?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Why would illegals even be stupid enough to stay in the area-----knowing that they are doing everything that they can to arrest and deport them??

"Russell Abbott, an attorney representing many illegal immigrants, also believes local law enforcement are racially profiling Hispanics."

We all knew that some ambulance chaser was going to get on this bandwagon!! I just hope that the cop had a good reason for pulling over that driver-----speeding, etc.------so that they immediately get struck down.
    "We call things racism just to get attention. We reduce complicated problems to racism, not because it is racism, but because it works." --- Alfredo Gutierrez, political consultant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast