Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hispanics Say They Add Spice to U.S. Melting Pot

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1417605/

Posted: Today at 6:59 p.m.
    Updated: 12 minutes ago

Raleigh — Hispanic residents in North Carolina said many transplants from Mexico and Central and South America are trying to fit into American culture while adding a bit of their own to the mix.

"We're not aliens. We're people who come here to work, to have opportunities to work and show what we can give to this country," said Rosie Espinal, who arrived in the country 20 years ago as an illegal immigrant but is now a U.S. citizen.

A 2006 study by the Kenan Institute for Private Enterprise at the University of North Carolina's business school found that Hispanics, including the estimated 500,000 illegal immigrants, pump $9.2 billion a year into North Carolina's economy. Hispanics annually contribute $756 million in direct and indirect taxes while costing the state about $817 million a year for education, health care and prisons, according to the study.

It all helps make illegal immigration one of the hottest hot-button issues in the state.

In a recent Elon University poll, more than 92 percent of the state residents contacted called illegal immigration an important issue. Half said the influx of illegal immigrants has been bad for North Carolina.

State lawmakers are considering several bills related to immigration, including taxing money that immigrants wire out of the country. Nationwide, an estimated $23 billion is wired to Mexico each year.

Zulayka Santiago, the executive director of El Pueblo, a public policy group that works with the state's Latino community, said immigrants are part of North Carolina's cultural mix.

"Much of the beauty of North Carolina has a lot to do with the many different faces we have," Santiago said.

Census figures show that 40 percent of North Carolina's Hispanics are young men, ages 21 to 39. Many arrived alone to work and still pledge allegiance their native country while trying to adjust to the U.S.

"There is an attempt to acculturate, but most of the acculturation happens in the second generation," Santiago said, noting most immigrants try to learn English to have more success in the country.

Isaac Garcia has lived in North Carolina for eight years. The 33-year-old works in a store that sells "musica," and he said he sends about 30 percent of his earning to his family in Zacatacas, a state in central Mexico.

"We come here to work, to send money to our country. Sometimes, it's hard to go to school," Garcia said. "I miss my family. My dream is my country."

Reporter: Bryan Mims
    Photographer: Ed Wilson
    Web Editor: Matthew Burns
    Copyright 2007 by WRAL.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    END OF AN ERA 1/20/2009

"We come here to work, to send money to our country. Sometimes, it's hard to go to school," Garcia said. "I miss my family. My dream is my country."
    Then go home.
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

If amnesty passes and every illegal hits the road with his new driving priviledges, what will be added, to the pot, is many more deaths and disabling injuries, not to mention millions more banged-up, multi-colored cars.

The border stampede probably has already started since word has probably gotten to them that they are close to amnesty. Get ready for massive fraud to be laid upon us. STOP THE INSANITY! BURN THE PHONE LINES UP![/quote]

Interesting...........from what I heard............
    THEY ADD CRAP TO OUR FOOD

I think they've got this one confused
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

They also add diseases, thousands of anchors, and numerous drunk drivers. They are also adding many American graves with their murders and drugs.

I never knew poo was spice...another job... Americans won't doo!
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

This is not news. This is complete warm fuzzy fluff propaganda.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndamendsis
    Interesting...........from what I heard............
    THEY ADD CRAP TO OUR FOOD

I think they've got this one confused
    LOL!!!

Don't forget diseases that were virtually wiped out here like TB.

I've got a bad stomach.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

JAK
    I can't believe these traitors want to give our country away!

I told the democrats that if "my" party voted to give amnesty I would vote for a republican just for spite! ... and that I would never vote for another democrat!!
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast