Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

House Leader won't rule our Immigration Deal with Senate

:http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=16932

House Leader Boehner Refuses to Rule Out Immigration Deal With Senate
    by Amanda B. Carpenter
    Posted Sep 11, 2006

House Majority Leader John Boehner (Ohio) last week would not rule out passing a comprehensive immigration bill before Congress recesses for the mid-term elections.

When a reporter asked him if it was realistic to assume Congress would not pass such a bill in the limited time left on the legislative calendar, he replied, “That is not fair.”

Boehner said that “conversations about the overall bill, the larger bill, are going to continue,” but suggested alternative methods to secure the border were being planned.

“You will see us, I think, again this month, move to include additional money for fencing on the border, more money for agents on the border and more money for surveillance on the border,” he said.

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (Tenn.) echoed Boehner’s remarks. Frist said, “Through the Defense appropriation bill and the Homeland Security appropriation bill, we will put heavy resources on making our borders secure. We need to aggressively, through legislation and through appropriations, secure our borders,”

Over the August recess, the Congressional Budget Office quietly released a report that estimated the total cost to taxpayers of the immigration bill that passed the Senate would be $127 billion over the next decade.

When I asked if that was an acceptable cost, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (Calif.) said, “One of the alternative proposals of our colleagues on the Republican side is to put 11 million people in jail.Who wants to pay for that? What does that get? I don’t know specifically how they allocated the costs or their priorities of the bill that may or may not be judged as a good investment, but let me say that the alternative is far more costly.”

Enforcement Alone

Rep. J.D. Hayworth (R.-Ariz.) said passing a bill could be possible if it focused on enforcement alone. “No if, ands or buts” he said, “and certainly no add-ons from the comprehensive camp.”

Rep. Steve King (R.-Iowa) said he would welcome appropriations funding for border security but that he’d rather see stand-alone legislation. “Mr. Pence is not going to get his Ellis Island kiosks this year,” he said, referring to the immigration plan being pushed by Rep. Mike Pence (R.-Ind.) that mandates immigrants visit foreign “Ellis Island Centers” to apply for citizenship.“So why don’t we do what we all agree needs to be done and let’s be done,” said King.“That is to shut off the four million people a year pouring across our Southern border and then take up the debate in January.”

If by November 8 the Southern border is not secured, King advised voters to “look at the voting records of the candidates on the ballot. If they support House enforcement then stand with them because they are for controlling our borders. If they voted against it, brand them with the scarlet letter ‘A’ for amnesty and vote accordingly.”

Miss Carpenter is Assistant Editor for HUMAN EVENTS. She is the author of "The Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy's Dossier on Hillary Rodham Clinton," which will be published by Regnery (a HUMAN EVENTS sister company) this fall.

Not a subscriber to HUMAN EVENTS? Sign up now!

(You will receive the latest conservative news and offers by email. Unsubscribe any time. Read our Privacy Policy.)

Advanced Search
    View All Authors
    View All Topics

Ann Coulter's new book GODLESS — FREE.
    Get your free hardcover copy of GODLESS: The Church of Liberalism - a $27.95 value!
    Subscribe Today

Manage Your Account

Home | Advertise | Privacy Policy | Subscribe
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

When I asked if that was an acceptable cost, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (Calif.) said, “One of the alternative proposals of our colleagues on the Republican side is to put 11 million people in jail.Who wants to pay for that? What does that get? I don’t know specifically how they allocated the costs or their priorities of the bill that may or may not be judged as a good investment, but let me say that the alternative is far more costly.”
    Pelosi is dangerous! Enforcement in the workplace would cause many to self deport. What does ICE do now when they raid a workplace? They deport them.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn