Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

How Newt Gingrich would secure border

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.a ... E_ID=44738

How Gingrich would secure border
    Former speaker opposes using military forces

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted: June 13, 2005
    1:00 a.m. Eastern

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    © 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, considered a possible contender for the 2008 Republican presidential sweepstakes, says he opposes using U.S. military forces to secure the border with Mexico, though he favors "dramatically" increasing the size of the Border Patrol.

In a videotaped interview with Trey Jackson, Gingrich said: "I believe we should have as large a border patrol as we need to secure the border. I don't think you should use the military any place that puts it in close contact with civilians or puts it in close contact with money. Because you don't want to corrupt the military. You want the military to remain the defender of the Republic and if you get them too deeply involved in the border, there is a danger of corruption that is very dangerous to the long term future of the military."

"But I would dramatically increase the size of the border patrol," he added. "I would invest in technology to be able to have absolute control of both the borders and the coastline and I would have rules that would enable us to control the border."

Sounding more like a presidential candidate than ever before, Gingrich was asked about his recent efforts at working constructively with the likely 2008 Democratic presidential nominee, Sen. Hillary Clinton of New York.

"Just because you plan to beat someone in a future election, doesn't mean you can't work with them now," Gingrich said.

In April, Gingrich called the situation at the border "absurd."

"I don't think we're stepping up to the plate on a whole series of big challenges, and [the border] is one of them," Gingrich said. "You can't have the director of central intelligence, Porter Goss, testify publicly to the Congress that he's genuinely afraid that a weapon of mass destruction, a nuclear weapon, is going to come across the border, and then do nothing about it. I think it's absurd."

Gingrich is urging people to contact federal lawmakers and urge them to take the matter seriously.

"It's not a Republican issue or Democrat issue," Gingrich said. "Everybody said after 9-11, 'Oh my gosh, why didn't they warn us?' Now you've had the director of central intelligence say as plainly and as clearly as anyone could say that a weapon could come across either the Canadian or Mexican border in a truck or a car, [which] could take out a good part of a city. I think we should be reacting to that. I think we should be making a national security investment in gaining control of our border."

The Republican from Georgia, who developed the Contract With America plan, said laws should be changed to deport people who are in the U.S. illegally within 72 hours. He also suggested a green card program for honest workers, involving some sort of biometric identifier such as an iris scan, and he expressed support for the Minuteman Project.

"I'm very sympathetic with the volunteers who are trying to help the Border Patrol. I think before anybody in government criticizes them, they ought to fund the Border Patrol strong enough and robust enough to have control of the border."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Well.....Newt was off to a good start and then fell off the bridge suggesting our military was corruptible when in contact with people and money.

DO YOU ALL REMEMBER ALL THOSE PICTURES IN IRAQ OF OUR MILITARY IN CLOSE CONTACT WITH CIVILIANS AND MORE STACKS OF CASH THAN I'D EVER SEEN BEFORE?

Did any of our military become corrupt when in contact with the Iraqi people and all that money? Not that I heard of......

Newt....Newt......Newt......

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk.

What we want Newt is our National Guard Troops on the borders AND a whole lot more Border Patrol officers.

AND, nothing less will do!!

I trust our military to handle themselves appropriately in civilian situations.

BTW: Newt, what money would be available on the Borders anyway? We want to send them down there to keep the bad people out, not pay them.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    Well.....Newt was off to a good start and then fell off the bridge suggesting our military was corruptible when in contact with people and money.
    The military is made up of American citizens, and just like our citizens, there are good and bad people in the military. Suppose a Mexican mobster comes up to the border fence and says to a soldier "I'll pay you X amount of money if you look the other way while my 15 guys with backpacks run past you." 99 times out of 100 the soldier is going to flip him off, but that #100 guy is going to have credit card problems, or ailing parents, or gambling debts, or whatever else that is going to tempt him to give in to the money. I think that's what Newt was saying there and it seems completely reasonable.

There has been a long-standing law preventing us from deploying our warfighting troops within the country, and I think it's a good idea to keep that precedent going. The Founding Fathers weren't such dumb guys after all. If the State Governors want to deploy their National Guard contingents on the border, that's great. But that's the limit of how we should use our military troops, IMHO.
    <div>Illegal immigration - the Trojan Horse that's treated like a Sacred Cow</div>

Newt is a globalist.

I watched him on C Span years ago sitting at the same dais with Hillary in Davos, Switzerland, bragging that he was responsible for getting NAFTA passed. Hated him ever since.

Newt is a globalist.?? Wolf in sheeps clothing...as so many of them are. Unfortunately, Newt is also brilliant. However, he's been pretty well discredited....he's trying to pull himself back up with the help of his 'consulting' position with Fox News.

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

Although I agree with what Newt Gingrich said: "I believe we should have as large a border patrol as we need to secure the border", but does Newt think the border patrol would be any less susceptible to corruption at the border than the military. That's not really too complementary of the military. My advice is: Get someone in the WH who has a clue about the dangers of unsecure borders. THIS IS JUST PLAIN STUPID, IDIOTIC, AND CRAZY NOT TO DO SO.

I don't care which group; the MinuteMen, Jack & Jill, the National Guard, the military, gets the job done, just get it done. Stop debating the jot or tittle, just get on with it. We are running out of time.

Remember: It is not illegal to enforce the laws of the land.
    I wonder how many illegals got their NC driver licenses renewed last week? President Bush needs to protect the borders not illegals. President Bush is a coward and guilty of treason when it comes to securing the borders.

That's what we're all saying...no one is listening...taking ACTION seems miles and years and hundreds of thousands of WORDS away.

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    Judy, you've got to remember that Gingrich is a politician, so of course the first thing he thinks about is corruption when people and money come into the picture.

That's what politics is all about, after all.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.