Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hundreds Protest Illegal Immigration Law at Alabama Capitol

Hundreds Protest Illegal Immigration Law at Alabama Capitol Steps

Written by Amanda McKenzie

Sunday, 28 August 2011 09:59 pm

Alabama's illegal immigration law will go into effect this Thursday, but protesters in Montgomery are pushing forward to have their voices heard in opposition to what's considered the toughest crackdown on illegal immigration in the country.

Hundreds gathered at the capitol steps to oppose Alabama's new illegal immigration law, which will go into effect in just four days. The majority of the people in attendance were families and some said they are worried that this new law will break up their family.

"I don't like this law, because I think it is going to tear my family apart," Edward E. said.

Edward's children were born in the United States, but said he and his wife do not have papers. So his family is hoping that in these final days, something will be done to change this law on illegal immigration. People gathered to hear words of inspiration from state senators and religious leaders.

Alabama senator Hank Sanders said he is ashamed of the law.

"I spoke out against it when it was up against the legislature," Sanders said. "I did my best to try to stop it along with some others. We weren't able to do it. It's the wrong spirit. It's a mean spirited law."

Some people held signs asking Governor Robert Bentley how they will be able to keep their families together under this law.

"If some of the kids are legal and the parents are illegal, they're thinking about deporting the parents, but the kids, where are they going to stay?" Mario Quintero said.

Although the future is unknown and their legal status may be called into question, those in attendance said they want to stand up for what is right and to have a better life.

"We are here for one dream and that dream is to be a better person and have a better life," Guadalupe Quintero said. "Something we didn't have at our place, and I think we can have that."

Sanders said he doesn't know if anything that happened at the capitol steps will make a difference in court, but if you think something is wrong, you should stand up to it.

The day of the rally, August 28, was also historically significant because it marked the anniversary of when Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. made his "I Have a Dream" speech, which asked for equality and civil rights.

The day the law goes into effect on Thursday, Sept. 1, a demonstration will take place at Immanuel Presbyterian Church from 7-8pm. The church is located on 8790 Vaughn Rd.

www.waka.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

We are here for one dream and that dream is to be a better person and have a better life," Guadalupe Quintero said. "Something we didn't have at our place, and I think we can have that."
    To be a better person.

Might want to start with this: Try walking in the front door instead of sneaking in the back, LAWBREAKER.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Alabama senator Hank Sanders said he is ashamed of the law.

"I spoke out against it when it was up against the legislature," Sanders said. "I did my best to try to stop it along with some others. We weren't able to do it. It's the wrong spirit. It's a mean spirited law."
    And YOU senator, I am ashamed of YOU! Placing a higher value on illegal invaders than on your LEGAL constituents should earn you a place in the unemployment line! YOU'RE FIRED!

Only in America do ILLEGAL ALIENS go on TELEVISED PROTESTS and DEMAND that laws be ERASED from the law books so they CANNOT BE DETECTED or deported.

Only in America do citizens who are land owners have their property trespassed by ILLEGAL ALIENS from another country and after they protest they are either murdered or HAVE THEIR PROPERTY CONFISCATED and GIVEN TO THE ILLEGAL ALIENS.

Only in America ..
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn