Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hunter on campaign swing through Florida

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/poli ... unter.html

Hunter on campaign swing through Florida

SIGNONSANDIEGO NEWS SERVICES

3:25 a.m. February 3, 2007

SAN DIEGO – Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Alpine, is scheduled to meet with Sen. Mel Martinez, R-Fla., the general chairman of the Republican National Committee, Saturday in Orlando as he continues a four-day swing through Florida in his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination.
    Hunter is also scheduled to attend a cookout in the Panhandle town of Lamont, near Tallahassee.

“We've invited him because we think he would be a remarkable presidential candidate and we want to introduce him to those people who can make a difference and get behind him,” former Florida state Rep. Randy Johnson, one of the cookout's hosts, told City News Service.

To Johnson, Hunter is not “someone everyone's talking about, but he's one of those guys that when people get to know and understand his role and how remarkable an asset he's been to the president of the United States with respect to giving him good advice, sometimes advice he might not like to hear,” they'll support.

“History has proven Duncan Hunter right on a myriad of issues,” said Johnson, a former Navy pilot who described himself as a “big fan” of Hunter.

Hunter began his trip to Florida Thursday by giving a speech in Jacksonville Thursday and attending receptions with area business leaders and veterans. Hunter spoke to a meeting of the Board of Governors of the Council for National Policy in Amelia Island yesterday, again on the topic of “Peace Through Strength,” echoing a phrase and concept made popular by former President Ronald Reagan.

Hunter has based his campaign on support for a strong military and the war in Iraq, including President Bush's call to add more than 21,000 troops; opposition to illegal immigration and cracking down on nations, such as China, that are hurting American manufacturing with unfair trade policies.

Hunter, 58, was elected to the House in 1980 and re-elected every two years since. He was chairman of the House Armed Services Committee from 2003 until the Democratic takeover of the House earlier this month, overseeing a $532 billion defense budget.

Hunter has billed himself as the most conservative Republican presidential candidate, which he said gives him a chance for victory despite low name recognition. In addition to having to overcome low name recognition and being at 1 percent in several polls among Republican presidential hopefuls, Hunter will also have to overcome history to be elected president. No sitting member of the House has been elected president since Republican James A. Garfield in 1880.

“He's very much a long shot,” Jack Pitney, a professor of government at Claremont McKenna College and a former head of research for the Republican National Committee, told USA Today. “He sees a niche for a social conservative with a strong defense background. He's putting a steel beam on the beach and hoping lightning will strike.”
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Where's MW? Probably in bed but he'll be here!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Alpine, is scheduled to meet with Sen. Mel Martinez, R-Fla
    Don't disappoint me Hunter...........we're watching closely as to your interactions with Martinez the ILLEGAL ALIEN lover.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndamendsis
    Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Alpine, is scheduled to meet with Sen. Mel Martinez, R-Fla
    Don't disappoint me Hunter...........we're watching closely as to your interactions with Martinez the ILLEGAL ALIEN lover.
    I noticed that too sis. Wonder if anything will be reported about that meeting?

Quote Originally Posted by jean
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndamendsis
    I noticed that too sis. Wonder if anything will be reported about that meeting?
    Hmmmmm doubt it, Jean

MW
    jean wrote:

Just listening and watching, jean, just listening and watching.....

2ndamendsis wrote:

Not to worry, Hunter's position has been the same for many years. Honestly, I don't think one meeting with Martinez is going to convert him into an illegal immigrant "lover." The way I see it, Hunter is extremely firm on his position regarding illegal immigration and border security. If anything, perhaps Hunter will persuade Martinez to support a border fence and heightened interior enforcement. I know, impossible, but so is the thought of Martinez converting Hunter.

Seriously folks, I don't think a meeting between the two will accomplish much for either of them. Just my opinion.........

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    jean wrote:

Just listening and watching, jean, just listening and watching.....

2ndamendsis wrote:

[quote:29a5e5nr]Don't disappoint me Hunter...........we're watching closely as to your interactions with Martinez the ILLEGAL ALIEN lover.
    Not to worry, Hunter's position has been the same for many years. Honestly, I don't think one meeting with Martinez is going to convert him into an illegal immigrant "lover." The way I see it, Hunter is extremely firm on his position regarding illegal immigration and border security. If anything, perhaps Hunter will persuade Martinez to support a border fence and heightened interior enforcement. I know, impossible, but so is the thought of Martinez converting Hunter.

Seriously folks, I don't think a meeting between the two will accomplish much for either of them. Just my opinion......... [/quote:29a5e5nr]

I think your right MW he has stayed pretty firm in his beliefs, hopefully maybe he can turn Martinez a little, but Hunters not as fickled as or wishy washy as most of them who turn their hear which ever way the wind is blowing, cowards, to busy trying to please everyone , you cannot trust them!!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

We'll wait and see. Nothing is ever written in stone, as has been sadly proven throughout the years. Best to learn from history and very good to let the potential 'good guy' know that he's being watched carefully. That gives an incentive to stay on the straight and narrow.

"conversion", btw, was never on my mind. Politicians don't 'convert' - they make deals.