Like Tree12Likes

Thread: I-9 Audits and Worksite Arrests by ICE Surged in Fiscal Year 2018

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

I-9 Audits and Worksite Arrests by ICE Surged in Fiscal Year 2018

Form I-9 Audits and Worksite Arrests by ICE Surged in Fiscal Year 2018

tahearn
    ESR News Blog

Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn

In December of 2018, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) – the federal agency that enforces laws governing American border control – announced that criminal investigations, business audits, and arrests by ICE surged in fiscal year (FY) 2018 compared to FY 2017 following a commitment made by the agency to increase Form I-9 audits and worksite enforcement across the United States.

Form I-9 Audits and Worksite Arrests by ICE

In FY 2018, ICE’s Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) opened 6,848 worksite investigations compared to 1,691 in FY 2017, initiated 5,981 Form I-9 audits compared to 1,360 in FY 2017, and made 2,304 worksite-related arrests compared to 311 in FY 2017.

Worksite investigations, Form I-9 audits, and worksite-related arrests surged by 300 to 750 percent over the previous fiscal year.

Businesses were ordered to pay more $10.2 million in judicial fines, forfeitures, and restitutions in FY 2018 including a Texas business that forfeited more than $5.5 million and an Oklahoma business that agreed to pay more than $1 million. In FY2017, there were $97.6 million in judicial forfeitures, fines, and restitution, including one company that paid the largest fine ever levied in an immigration case.

“Reducing illegal employment helps build another layer of border security, and reduces the continuum of crime that illegal labor facilitates, from the human smuggling networks that facilitate illegal border crossings to the associated collateral crimes, like identity theft, document and benefit fraud and worker exploitation,” HSI Executive Associate Director Derek N. Benner stated in the announcement from ICE.

ICE is responsible for upholding laws established by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA) which requires all employers in the United States to verify the identity and work eligibility of employees they hire through the use of the ‘Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification.’ ICE uses the Form I-9 inspection program and civil fines to encourage employers to comply with the IRCA.

The trend of worksite Form I-9 audits continuing to rise for employers and the possibility of mandatory E-Verify use has been chosen by a leading global background check provide Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) as the number ten trend of the “ESR Top Ten Background Check Trends” for 2019 that feature emerging and influential trends in the background screening industry for the coming year.

NOTE: The E-Verify electronic employment eligibility verification service used for Form I-9 compliance is currently unavailable and the E-Verify website at www.e-verify.gov is not actively managed due to a lapse in federal funding to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and other agencies that led to a partial shutdown of the United States government that began on December 22, 2018.

http://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/20...rrests-by-ice/

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    I'd be interested in knowing what business industries were getting these audits. Was this selective enforcement or was it spread out through all corporations and businesses. For example, what about agricultural and construction? What about business raids. Are those happening on a regular basis or are they few and far between?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Senior Member 6 Million Dollar Man's Avatar
    This is a good start. I would like to see them do an I-9 audit on every single business that's reported to ICE though, instead of just picking and choosing which ones they want. Every one!!!

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 Million Dollar Man View Post
    This is a good start. I would like to see them do an I-9 audit on every single business that's reported to ICE though, instead of just picking and choosing which ones they want. Every one!!!
    Personally, I'd much rather see the raids ramped up and the illegals apprehended. With the audits they just get to seek employment elsewhere when the business releases them.

Let's put the cart before the horse. Conduct the raid and then perform the audits.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Are they deporting the illegal alien worker AND the entire family?

Do not separate them...put them all on a bus back to their country of origin!
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL