GOP Gov. Candidates Talk Immigration
Posted: Jun 06, 2010 9:16 PM PDT Updated: Jun 06, 2010 9:16 PM PDT

The debate over immigration law in Arizona might be the biggest issue around the nation.

This years Gubernatorial race in Iowa has all three Republican candidates taking a stance.

The Arizona Immigration law has sparked debate and even caused extremely heated protests.

Here in Iowa, all three Republican candidates for Iowa's governor aren't taking the issue lightly either.

Some people in Arizona are up in arms over the states new immigration law.

Senate Bill 1070 has jump started a nationwide debate over legal and illegal immigration. Iowa's Republican Gubernatorial candidates are right in the middle of it.

In a Bob Vander Plaats ad campaign, he connects his primary rival Terry Branstad with current governor Chet Culver. Saying the two aren't being strict enough when it comes to immigration in Iowa.

"Chet Culver and Terry Branstad want to wait for the federal government to do something about illegal immigration, we've waited long enough. As governor, I'll give our state and local law enforcement the authority to enforce immigration laws." Says Vander Plaats.

On a similar side as Vander Plaats, fellow candidate Rod Roberts applauds Arizona's stance on immigration, even going as far as saying it could work here in Iowa.

"I believe that the people of Arizona did the right thing. I respect them for doing that and I think more states will follow their example and I believe Iowa should take the lead of Arizona and deal with our immigration problem." Says Roberts.

Former Governor Terry Branstad isn't completely opposed to the law himself. But, he says with Iowa not being a border state, a line has to be drawn somewhere.

"I think its fine for the state to be aggressive in making sure that the people who are getting benefits are here legally and holding people accountable that are here illegally. I don't think the state should take on all the financial responsibility that should be that of the federal government." Says Branstad.

Ultimately, it is up to the voters to decide before any new immigration laws are made in the state of Iowa.

The primary elections take place this Tuesday June 8th. The results will determine which of the three Republican candidates will run against current governor Chet Culver, in the November election.

While immigration is a hot button issue, is the topic high on the list for Siouxland voters? We went out and asked a few to find out.

"Not really, I've got friends that are immigrants, ones that have come over by the legal system that have done it right. Then I have friends that have come for a better life. As long as they're following the laws, rules– I don't see a problem with it." Says Lance Flaugh of Sioux City.

"It will be on the front burner. We need the immigrants but we need them to come in the right way that they should– legally." Says Leroy Jenness of Cherokee, IA

"Not really, because I feel every person has the right to live in the United States as long as they're legally here and that's just the law." Says Ron Wallenburg of Doon, Iowa.

http://www.kcautv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12604381