Comments are being left after this article at the source link.
~~~

Harkin, King trade barbs on immigration
By Dan Gearino Journal Des Moines Bureau
June 15, 2007

DES MOINES -- U.S. Sen. Tom Harkin and U.S. Rep. Steve King traded attacks on Thursday over immigration legislation, with Harkin calling King an irresponsible attention-seeker and King replying that Harkin hasn't done enough to say where he stands on the issue.

Harkin fired the first shot in a conference call with reporters when he was asked to comment on King's outspoken opposition to the Senate immigration bill. King has said that each senator who votes for the bill should "wear a scarlet letter A for amnesty."

Harkin said King's comments "are just not responsible."

"They may get a headline. If that's your purpose, if that's what you want to do, sure you can be very irresponsible around here," he said. Harkin is a Democrat and King is a Republican.

Harkin said he prefers to play a constructive role in the process and improve the immigration bill, rather than try to score political points by attacking it. "It's always easy to sit on the sidelines and throw hand grenades," he said.

Contacted for a reply, King said he has no regrets about his "scarlet letter A" comment. He said Harkin has the roles reversed when he accuses King of sitting on the sidelines.

"I haven't seen his name appear on this issue. I don't know where he stands or if he has any involvement. But I do know I'm not standing on the sidelines," King said.

The immigration bill was pulled from debate last week after it failed to get the 60 votes needed to clear the way for a final vote. The bill has support from most Senate Democrats and President Bush, but is opposed by most Republicans.

The measure would increase border security, create a guest worker program and outline the steps illegal immigrants must take if they want to seek legal status.

This week, President Bush met with Senate Republicans to try to revive the bill, an effort that King said he hopes is unsuccessful. "My job this week and next week is to make sure that dead bill stays dead," he said.

King, whose district covers western Iowa, hasn't ruled out a run for Harkin's Senate seat in 2008. He said the immigration issue may play a role in his decision.

"If he and I find ourselves at directly odds over this issue, and it becomes the issue of the destiny of America, that could be so provocative that I couldn't resist," King said.

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/article ... 1048ba.txt