Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

IN: IA Huggers whine about immigration bill. Cry Racism

Hispanics challenge immigration bill
    By Francesca Jarosz
    francesca.jarosz@indystar.com

About 100 members of the Hispanic community gathered at the Statehouse today to question Sen. Mike Delph, R-Carmel, about his bill to crack down on companies that hire illegal immigrants.

In a two-hour forum organized by the Indiana State Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, students, Hispanic leaders and community activists argued against Senate Bill 335, which Delph said will be heard on the Senate floor no later than Wednesday.

Some said the law could lead to racism against Hispanics.

“We’re not criminals. We just want a future,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

[quote]
    “I would propose that we could make people legal. The rules are made by us,â€
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

[quote="cayla99"][quote]
    “I would propose that we could make people legal. The rules are made by us,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

hey zeezil, A comment by another poster on the star had me doing some research. It was a lot harder to go legally through ellis island than it is under todays system. I posted a synopsis, but it was only the tip of the ice burg. Those who went through ellis island must really have loved this country.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

These people today not only do not love this country they don't even respect it!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Latinos debate Senate Bill 335 at Statehouse

Updated: Jan 28, 2008 03:01 PM PST
    Emily Longnecker/Eyewitness News

Indianapolis - A new state senate bill that would crack down on businesses that hire illegal immigrants is sparking debate between the bill's author and many in the Hispanic community.

Senate Bill 335 promises to help mold immigration reform. A few dozen members of the Latino community debated the bill at the statehouse Sunday to debate what many of them believe is an assault on their American dream.

"Where is the human part of the S.B. 335? That's a question," one speaker said.

"One day this little guy is going to maybe be in your seat or the president's seat," said Martha Campa, with her son Omar.

The bill's author, Senator Mike Delph (R-Carmel) was in the hot seat Sunday, answering questions from the group in the statehouse rotunda.

"My constituents are fed up, and it's not because of the people coming here for the American dream, through the legal process," Delph said from the podium. "They're fed up because people are violating the law with their first act on U.S. soil."

Under the bill, businesses who knowingly hire illegal immigrants three times in 10 years would lose their license to do business in Indiana. Delph said his original proposal was tougher, only allowing two strikes before the state yanked a license.

Many in the Hispanic community who gathered at the Capitol were concerned about discrimination they feared would result from the bill. Senator Delph said the bill was not about race at all, but about respecting the letter of the law.

"We need to stand up for the rule of law, and I want everybody in the Latino community to stand with me right now," Delph said.

Both sides of the debate agree that the immigration system is broken.

"You know that the waiting list for people who have their papers legally is 14 years behind," one woman said. "It's not that we don't want to be legal, its that the system is not responsive."

Broken or not, Martha Campa still has big dreams for her son.

"This child one day is gonna sit in a big chair," she said. "It's a promise."

Senate Bill 335 will go to the Senate floor for a vote this week.

http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=7781051
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Broken or not, Martha Campa still has big dreams for her son.

"This child one day is gonna sit in a big chair," she said. "It's a promise."

Yeah, it's called "Old Sparky".
    Che Guevara wears a picture of ME on his t-shirt.