http://www.kvbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=8874447

Ice cream man pleads guilty to sex crimes

Updated: Aug 20, 2008 05:16 PM
Video Gallery
<1>
Ice cream man pleads guilty to sex crimes
1:43

Marie Mortera reporting

There are disturbing new details about a man who pleaded guilty to a sex crime. According to an arrest report, back in March, an ice cream truck driver lured a mentally challenged 16-year-old boy with the promise of free ice cream.

Detectives say that's when Ibrahim Alsmadi touched the teen and forced the teen to touch him. Last week, Alsmadi pleaded guilty to open or gross lewdness. He still would've been selling ice cream to kids had city leaders not stepped in.

The ice cream truck sits in Ibrahim Alsmadi's driveway - not going anywhere now, after city leaders voted to keep him off the streets.

"I'm losing my house," Alsmadi pleaded in a council meeting.

"I feel very bad about all of that but we have to protect our children," Mayor Oscar Goodman replied.

Alsmadi pleaded guilty last week to open and gross lewdness, despite pleading through an interpreter. The crime will keep him away from the job for good. Ice cream truck drivers must carry a special privileged license which requires a special investigation.

"We want to make sure that individuals have special licenses abide by the code and do not put our community in jeopardy," Metro's Jose Montoya told News. 3.

Before the license can be obtained, Metro checks and scrutinizes an applicant's backgrounds; a process that can sometimes takes months. Investigators don't just check once, they check again for any flags.

"That mechanism is set in place so if and when that individual does something, they have to explain to county and commission why should keep their license," Montoya said.

And in the case of Alsmadi, no plea would sway the city council. He'll be out of his truck permanently. Alsmadi will be sentenced in October.

PLEASE BRING G87 TO SANTUARY CITY Las Vegas!