Inside Idaho Idaho Businesses: Idaho Farm Bureau bucks immigration rules
- Idaho Statesman
Edition Date: 12/22/08

Comments (1) | Recommend (0)

Harvest time is over, but Idaho farmers' use of undocumented workers is back in the news.

Temporary U.S. Labor Department rule changes for work-related immigration will become permanent two days before Barack Obama takes office - and that has the Idaho Farm Bureau Federation weighing in again.

John Thompson, the Farm Bureau's director of public relations, was interviewed on the "Lou Dobbs Show" on Independent Nation radio last week. (This three-hour afternoon talk show is not aired by any stations in Ada or Canyon counties.)

Dobbs asked Thompson why he doesn't support the new rules.

"Right now it puts the onus of verification on farmers," Thompson said. "Those people are frequently presented with fake documents. We're not experts on documents."

Dobbs, well-known for his opposition to illegal immigration, replied, "That's the same argument we hear from a lot of illegal employers of illegal aliens."

Thompson: "From an employer's standpoint, though, we feel like this is the federal government's job, and they haven't done it well."

The changes affect the H2-A guest worker program, which lets farmers hire foreign workers using temporary visas for jobs farmers cannot find Americans to fill. That's similar to the slightly smaller H2-B program tech companies use.

The new rules are designed to make it easier for farmers, who widely ignore H2-A now because of red tape and delays the Farm Bureau says cost farmers precious harvesting time.

THIS ARTIST WILL IMMORTALIZE FIDO ON YOUR T-SHIRT

Tony McMillan says her career has gone to the dogs.

McMillan, a freelance Boise artist, makes a living drawing and painting pictures of pets, sometimes with their owners. She also draws historical scenes and landscapes. She has illustrated a book and designed logos for local governments and other organizations. She draws calendars and can draw a contemporary image - like your car - into a historical streetscape.

A native of Texas, McMillan has drawn since she was a child and professionally for 15 years. She graduated in 1989 with a degree in graphic design and illustration from Boise State University.

Sometimes she draws herself in a scene and adds an imaginary lover or dog - or both. In one drawing, McMillan rises in a hot-air balloon above Kathryn Albertson Park while her "future husband" waves to her. She has no dog and no husband - not even a future one.

"I've been painting everybody else's dogs and husbands, and I don't get any love, so I'm painting it," she said, laughing.

Any romantic prospects? She shakes her head: "I kick 'em to the curb pretty fast."

She won't kick away customers, though. McMillan stopped by the Statesman the other day to introduce herself and show me her work in hopes of drumming up new business. She sells illustrated mugs, T-shirts, greeting cards and other gifts, most for less than $25. You can see samples yourself at her Web site, Tonidraws.com, or call her at 429-9820.

Local News Editor David Staats edits the Statesman's Idaho business coverage and writes the Inside Idaho Business blog at Voices.IdahoStatesman.com/Staats. E-mail business@idahostatesman.com.
http://www.idahostatesman.com/business/ ... 11494.html