Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

IL:Boycott org. enlist business support (they say no!!!!)

What an article. The economic boycott in Waukegan (because of our 287g proposed application) may be a bust before it even starts.

Boycott organizers enlist business support

(http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/news ... S1.article)

July 4, 2007

By JUDY MASTERSON jmasterson@scn1.com

WAUKEGAN -- Organizers of a planned boycott of Waukegan businesses hope to sway owners into pressuring the City Council to withdraw its application to the federal government for the authority to help enforce U.S. immigration laws.

Volunteers worked Tuesday, according to one source, to make large orange signs for businesses to post in their windows, assuring undocumented customers and other concerned citizens that they do not support Waukegan's bid to enact 287(g), a section under the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act that allows state and local law enforcement agencies to designate officers to perform certain immigration enforcement functions.

They also drafted a letter of support for their cause, copies of which they hope business owners will sign before they are forwarded to the city.

"We're requesting they (the city) withdraw their application," said Jose Guzman, a leader of the Labor Council for Latin American Advancement in Waukegan, one of two groups working to organize the boycott. "We're going to stop discrimination even if it means Latino businesses moving out of this city."

Several business owners contacted by the Lake County News-Sun declined to talk about what a boycott of 287(g) might mean.

"Of course I'm concerned," said the manager of one busy Waukegan restaurant, who asked that neither he nor his business be identified. "But I'd rather not get involved. We don't want to take sides."

Tony Soto, whose family has owned a furniture and jewelry store in downtown Waukegan for 50 years, said the store has never taken sides in political campaigns or debates and doesn't plan to start now.

"When it comes to politics, we don't put signs out," Soto said. "That's not good for business. We don't want to get involved."

Soto said most of his customers are American citizens, but a "certain percentage" are not.

"Let's say 10 people want us to put up a sign or sign a petition," Soto said. "Maybe one or two of those will be customers. Others won't want to shop at my store. We keep our opinions to ourselves."

Horacio Lopez, vice president of the 150-member Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of Lake County, spoke against 287(g) at a meeting attended by an estimated 2,000 people last week at Holy Family Parish in Waukegan. While he said 287(g) powers will polarize the community, he called a boycott a "radical" move.

"Who loses in the end? We all lose," said Lopez, who owns Pro Data Payroll Services in Libertyville. "I think there has to be open dialogue, and I think we are making progress on that. We have to put programs together that will bring to light what the community is asking for. What are we asking for? We want assurances we won't be taken advantage of with or without 287g."

Carmen Patlan, director of human concerns for Holy Family and associated parishes, said the church is against 287(g) but does not support the planned boycott.

The Rev. Gary Graf, who extracted promises from Waukegan Mayor Dick Hyde to use 287(g) to prosecute only the worst criminals, said he and the church family also made a promise "not to involve ourselves in anything that is going to distract us from a mutual dialogue."

"A boycott could be very, very effective, depending on how well it's organized," Graf said. "But I don't think it's the approach to take right now. I don't think we're at that point. We're asking people to be patient and see if we can move it to a withdrawal of the petition. If I thought the city was outright rejecting all invitations to dialogue and work with us, then we would ask what do we need to do next, and a boycott could be the next step."
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The boycotts backfired in Farmers Branch.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Everytime these illegals and their supporters do something, they only make more American citizens mad.

They, themselves, are turning Americans against them!
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

Every boycott these groups have attempted has failed so far!

W