Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

IL Chicago schools increase foreign language programs

Chicago expands its position of being the sanctuary for the world! This will attract immigrants from around the world.

WHAT ABOUT THEM LEARING ENGLISH!

The sad thing for me personally is that Roosevelt is my old High School (class of 70)
    (O-ya! FYI, Ironically the only class I failed I was German)

----------------------------------------------

Chicago schools punching up its foreign language programs in the name of globalism

Arabic and Chinese studies to be expanded, Russian to debut at Roosevelt High

By Kayce T. Ataiyero and Dan Mihalopoulos | Tribune reporters
    11:25 PM CDT, April 30, 2008

Chicago Public Schools will expand its foreign language curriculum next year, teaching more students Chinese and Arabic and launching Russian in several schools, officials announced Wednesday.

The district will re-allocate $1 million from its general fund to expand Chinese and Arabic programs in some schools while establishing new programs in others. In addition, the district will began offering Russian at Roosevelt High School on the city's North Side with the possibility of expanding to other schools as well.

With more than 7,000 Chicago students studying Chinese, the district has the largest such program in the nation, according to school officials. Nearly 300 students in the district are studying Arabic.

The expansion, which will be paid for by cuts in other parts of the budget, will allow officials to hire about 15 new language teachers for 15 schools. School officials did not announce which schools were selected for expansion. Notification letters are expected to arrive by week's end. The announcement was made at Lindblom Math and Science Academy on the city's South Side, where more than 100 students take Arabic classes. It came on the last day of Mayor Richard Daley's "U.S. Arab Cities Forum," a three-day event that brought mayors from North Africa and the Middle East to Chicago.

Expanding language programs in the schools has long been a pet project of Daley's, who said Wednesday that globalism is an important part of a student's education. He said he hoped that the announcement would lead to additional language curriculum funding from community and business leaders.

"Remember, we are one of the few cities in the country . . . that have a Chinese and Arabic program. We're so far ahead of the rest of the country. . . . As an urban area, we understand that languages are the future," Daley said. ". . . And that is the key to us if we want to be a global city, if we want to participate in the global society with our neighbors and friends throughout the world, especially the Arab world."

Diane Zendejas, the school district's chief officer of the office of language and cultural education, said the expansion of the foreign language programs will help students be better world citizens.

"World language is another avenue of opportunity for them to learn about the culture and the countries and get a better understanding and respect of other people," she said.

Brittany Whitfield, 15, a sophomore at Lindblom, agreed. She said her Arabic studies have broadened her world view.

"I did have a really biased opinion of the Arab world from the way that the media portrays the Arab world and all of the things that have been going on recently," she said at the mayor's news conference. "But after taking this program, I realized that it may be going on, but it's not the only thing that's happening over there. They have 'Arabic Idol' and things like that. It's kind of like here, only with a different language."

kataiyero@tribune.com
    dmihalopoulos@tribune.com
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... ?track=rss
    <div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>

Gonna be a literal tower of bable.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

well that sucks!
    Work Harder Millions on Welfare Depend on You!

Why not concentrate on eliminating high school drop outs first.
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Unfortunately it doesn’t stop there.
    (Are there any AARP members here, you may find this of interest?)

This also happened today!

--------------------------

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show ... 5600.shtml

AARP Turns 50 - Celebrates in Chicago With $100,000 Award to Roosevelt High

Posted : Thu, 01 May 2008 14:51:42 GMT
    Author : AARP Illinois
    <div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>

"Brittany Whitfield, 15, a sophomore at Lindblom, agreed. She said her Arabic studies have broadened her world view.

"I did have a really biased opinion of the Arab world from the way that the media portrays the Arab world and all of the things that have been going on recently," she said at the mayor's news conference. "But after taking this program, I realized that it may be going on, but it's not the only thing that's happening over there. They have 'Arabic Idol' and things like that. It's kind of like here, only with a different language." "

Young heads full of mush; What more could our Elitist One Worlder's want!

Quote Originally Posted by MadInChicago
    AARP Turns 50 - Celebrates in Chicago With $100,000 Award to Roosevelt High
    Well, they won't get another $12.50 from me come next October.
    Besides every product they have endorsed so far seem to be a huge rip off! Their auto insurance (Hartford) quoted me $700.00 more than my present insurer FOR THE SAME EXACT COVERAGE!
    It took me several weeks to get them to stop sending me so much junk snail mail and junk emails!

Even their little "free" pieces of made in China gadgets were worthless.
    If they endorse such rip-off services, I'm sure they will end up endorsing one of the rip-off candidates as well.
    ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION= Breeding the American out of existence.

Mr Bush himself: "It is far too soon to judge a man with eight months left in office." 2008-05-24

[color=blue]The school and neighborhood have gone down hill. About 2 years ago in the local news came the report of the “First ever School Shooting at Rooseveltâ€

The federal government considers race and Hispanic origin to be two separate and distinct concepts. Origin can be considered as the heritage, nationality group, lineage, or country of birth of the person or the person’s parents or ancestors before their arrival in the United States. People who identify their origin as "Spanish," "Hispanic," or "Latino" may be of any race. "Under U.S. Census Bureau definitions, Hispanic is not considered a race. Everyone is classified as both a member of one or more racial groups and also as either Hispanic or non-Hispanic. Therefore, Hispanic does not appear as a slice of the pie in the racial breakdown. People who are Hispanic are counted as part of one of the racial groups, such as white or black. Persons of Hispanic origin may be of any race."
    Source: U.S. Census Bureau

According to census figuring they should revise their own listed catagories.
    Black Hispanic
    Black Non-Hispanic
    White Hispanic
    White Non-Hispanic
    Asian Hispanic
    Asian Non-Hispanic (etc.)
    I wish I could find the article I read months ago that listed and described how many diferrent "races" there are in Mexico and their histories. Pro-illegal activists love to keep accusing us of being racists yet they don't realize HISPANIC is NOT a race.
    ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION= Breeding the American out of existence.

Mr Bush himself: "It is far too soon to judge a man with eight months left in office." 2008-05-24