Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

IL: Few illegal aliens use state break on tuition

Few illegal aliens use state break on tuition

Thursday, December 6, 2007 11:35 PM CST

By Kurt Erickson

SPRINGFIELD -- A four-year-old law that allows children of illegal aliens to pay in-state tuition rates at Illinois public universities appears to be drawing fewer students than predicted.

A survey of several public universities found fewer than 300 students are taking advantage of the benefit this year, which is less than the more than 2,200 students who had been projected to qualify.

The issue has been the subject of lawsuits in other states, as well as a key component of immigration reform being debated in Congress. In recent weeks, it also has become a hot topic in the presidential race.

Illinois is among 10 states that have laws on the books allowing for cheaper, in-state tuition rates for students who are the children of undocumented immigrants.

In signing the measure into law in 2003, Gov. Rod Blagojevich said giving undocumented students equal footing in the education process will help more young people go on to “achieve their full potential.â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I do not believe these numbers nor the premise of the article. I think is spin and propaganda.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I don't care how many use it, 1 IS 1 TOO MANY! THOSE NUMBERS SHOULD ALL BE A BIG FAT ZERO!

Illinois does not check immigration status in any way shape or form for college attendance, so I'd like to know how they got those stats.

That is how Illinois gets around not following the federal law on this issue, they ignore immigration status altogether, so their view is they are not breaking the law. It is illegal to offer in-state tuition rates to illegal aliens if you do not offer the same in-state tuition to residents from other states. Illinois doesn't

Tuitions are high in Illinois anyhow, at least at UIUC, its cheaper to attend an out of state college some neighboring states, then pay in-state at University of Illinois.