Posted: Mon 5:36 PM, Dec 03, 2012
Reporter: Landon Cassman
Updated: Mon 7:07 PM, Dec 03, 2012
WIFR

ROCKFORD (WIFR) -- It may be hard to believe, but there may be as many as a quarter of a million undocumented immigrants driving around Illinois without a driver's license.

Ponce can't get one because he says he's an undocumented immigrant.

"I've been stopped twice. One was with a state trooper, and the issue was cleared up. And that was because I had a bad light in the back of the car. And the other one was I had an accident, and that case was also resolved. But still I think that this is an appropriate move,” said Alfredo Ponce.

That move is a measure that advanced in the Illinois Senate which would allow undocumented immigrants to apply for a special driver's license. Senate president John Cullerton says this would make Illinois streets safer because drivers will be assured and tested for driving ability.

"Everybody has a right to survive where they're at. They idea that everybody has to eat, work, take their children to school, you know, it should be provided anywhere, and I know it's a worldwide issue,” said Mary Lou Castro with the LULAC of Rockford.

A group called safer families coalition is going down to Springfield tomorrow to protest the bill from being passed.

"Getting driver's licenses for these illegal aliens is just not the right move to make. And it's not the right move to make because they are in this country illegally,” said Joe Terrell who is against the Licensing Bill.

Illinois would be the third state in the country pass this type of measure.

The bill has already won approval in a Senate Executive Committee. It's next step is in front of the full Senate.

Even though the protest is scheduled for tomorrow morning, Senator Syverson tells us he'd be surprised if i came up in tomorrow's veto session. The next time it could be brought to the Senate is January 3rd.

Licenses for Undocumented Immigrants?