Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

IL:Planned Minuteman (Simcox) visit roils DePaul

Planned Minuteman visit roils DePaul
    'DIRTY TRICK' | Conservative sponsor riled at demand his group pay for security

May 16, 2008Recommend (4)

BY STEFANO ESPOSITO Staff Reporter/sesposito@suntimes.com

As a young conservative at DePaul University, Nicholas Hahn III says he's often offended by the liberal messages he hears on campus, but he says he doesn't complain because college is all about the free exchange of ideas.

Hahn says college administrators have been anything but open-minded as his conservative student group prepares to welcome the president of the anti-illegal immigration group Minuteman Civil Defense Corps to campus Monday.

The university is making Hahn's group, DePaul Conservative Alliance, cough up $2,500 to pay for private security officers to be in place for the expected protesters.

"What I'm doing is paying for protesters to ensure that they have their own secure protest for my event," an outraged Hahn said Thursday.

A representative from Young America's Foundation, a conservative group that's helping sponsor Chris Simcox's visit to DePaul, said the university's demand for private security is more insidious.

"It's a common dirty trick to limit conservative ideas on college campuses," said spokesman Jason Mattera.

John Holden, a spokesman for DePaul, denied Hahn's group is being singled out because of its conservative message. Holden could not recall a comparable political event where protests were expected, but he pointed out that student groups organizing concerts or dances are also asked to pay for security.

Simcox said he wonders why DePaul doesn't have the police show up to keep the peace. He said he's accustomed to protesters when he speaks.

"Most are orderly, silent protests -- groups that want to turn up with signs or turn their backs to me," he said. "That's fine with me as long as they stay and listen."

Jose Landaverde, pastor at Our Lady of Guadalupe Mission in Little Village, said he plans to lead a prayer vigil at DePaul on Monday, but his group won't try to interrupt Simcox's speech.

"We are praying for his heart to change," Landaverde said.
    http://www.suntimes.com/news/education/ ... 16.article

Is every group charged the $2500? If not, doesn't he have a case for discrimination? Where's the ACLU when you need them?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Simcox has a good message . The Truth ! I hope those "Kids" get their collective heads out of their butts and listen , they'll learn there very country is wounded bad .
    maybe "Judicial Watch" could answer the discrimination question ?
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*