Thread: Illegal entry

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal entry

I am going to send an email to this newspaper to give my opinion on this story. I hope some of the rest of you will do so, also.

http://www.hickoryrecord.com/servlet/Sa ... 9188235434

Illegal entry
    'I just wanted a better future,' says woman who left Mexico for a new life in the U.S.

BY ANDREW MACKIE
    Record Staff Writer
    Sunday, June 4, 2006

Give your opinion on this story

EDITOR'S NOTE: Maria is a fictitious name used to protect the Conover resident’s identity.

HICKORY -- Maria lives in this country illegally.

The Conover resident came here six years ago to provide for her young daughter.

Maria, 26, says she understands why people would expect illegal immigrants to be lawbreakers, since they broke the law to come here.

“People have the right to feel that way because this is their country. It probably feels like someone is forcing their way into their house,” she said.

“I would ask for understanding that the only reason I came was to meet the needs of my daughter. And for people to put themselves in my shoes, when you have a daughter ... say they are hungry and you are unable to provide food.”

Maria lived in a one-room, 4-by-4 meter house in Valle del Chalco, Mexico, about six hours from Mexico City. In 2000, she decided to attempt the dangerous trek to the United States.

After a three-day bus ride to Piedras Negras, a small town near Tijuana, she crossed the border with her then 2-year-old daughter. They walked four days through desert in California and Arizona.

She and about 30 other Latinos in her group, many of whom were from countries other than Mexico, were assaulted along the way.

They were robbed of their money. The women were made to undress and were touched in inappropriate ways, she said.

Immigration officials caught them. They were returned to Mexico.

Frustrated, Maria called her sister, who was already living in Hickory, to tell her she didn’t feel comfortable making another attempt to get into the United States.

In debt for the bus ride to Piedras Negras, Maria then changed her mind.

Her second try involved a two-day walk with a group from Sonora, Mexico, into Arizona.

Someone she didn’t know picked them up at a house in Arizona and drove them to Denver.

From there, Maria took buses to Hickory.

Maria considers herself fortunate because many people leave families behind when coming to America.

“There are many towns in Mexico comprised of only women and children because the men have come here to work,” she said.

And, many people die in attempts to cross the border.

Maria now lives in a three-bedroom, two-bathroom mobile home.

Her daughter has her own room, and Maria can afford to buy her clothes, food and shoes.

She has held several jobs since coming to the area. She originally worked in a food plant, but was not allowed to return to work after the birth of her second child.

She babysat for a mother and has worked at a Spanish-language grocery store.

Maria says she likes many things about the United States.

She is pleased children are taught to respect laws.

“Even though I am proud to be Mexican and to come from Mexico, I love this country more because this country was able to provide me things my country was not able to provide me with,” she said.

Maria did not pay taxes the first couple of years here. She didn’t know how.

She wants to be law abiding, to set an example for her children.

Maria is taking English classes now and hopes to improve her life.

“I feel that despite difficulties now, I am pleased for the things I have been able to achieve since I’ve been here,” she said.

Maria says she feels accepted when people greet her with a nice “Hola.”

Maria hopes her children are able to attend college. That will be easier for her son, who was born here and is a legal citizen, than for her 8-year-old daughter.

“I just want to say thank you to this country and in someway ask for forgiveness to those offended by the way I came to this country illegally,” she said. “I just wanted a better future.”

amackie@hickoryrecord.com | 322-4510 x5407 or 304-6914
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"

I am so sick and tired of stories like this. I'd like to have more money, so should rob a bank? If you want to come to this country and contribute, then do so LEAGALLY!

I just wrote and sent in my opinion on this story. I can't wait to see if they print it or not. I'm sick of these stories, also. No matter what, she had no right to come here illegally. She had that 2nd child just to secure her some welfare at our expense! I think I wrote a good letter in response to that story. If they print it, I'll post it here.
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"

Gave her my opinion. Invited her to visit southern CA sometime. Also suggested she write stories about how Mexico needs to learn to take care of their own.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Who is in control?

I can never forgive lawbreakers. These are people who violated immigration laws to get here, use fraudulent documentation to obtain social security and other benefits which Americans spent their whole lives paying into but most likely will never see a dime as the system will be bankrupt due to wide spread fraud and abuse. They use fraudulent documentation to obtain employment displacing many hard working Americans. These are mobs who riot in our streets demanding rights, freedoms and other privileges accorded to Americans fought for by veterans as myself who paid a high price in blood to protect, preserve, and defend them for LEGAL Americans. Illegal aliens state they want to be good citizens but they have no desire to learn English, accept us for what we are, our culture, our values and what this nation represents. They defile our flag, our national anthem and other symbols while spitting in the faces of our veterans as they parade past them labeling them Nazi's and fascists which are not the hallmarks of good citizenship. They refuse to accept that citizenship comes with responsibility. They mock and cheapen our most sacred right to vote which forms the foundation of our democracy; a right for which millions of veterans have given their health and their lives only for millions of illegal aliens to illegally exercise that right.
    We are a compassionate nation with the most compassionate people on earth. We are willing to help those in less fortunate circumstances but only if they adhere to the prescribed principles of law and civility. By violating our sovereignty they have shown they do not believe in the sanctity of law nor do they conduct themselves with the civility required for a nation to survive. It is for these reasons I will expend any required effort and energy to help prevent them from becoming citizens but if they are granted citizenship I will never recognize them as my fellow citizens or accept them as my neighbors. They, in concert with this government have sold out everything that represents this great nation and for that I can never forgive them.

Quote Originally Posted by jean
    Gave her my opinion. Invited her to visit southern CA sometime. Also suggested she write stories about how Mexico needs to learn to take care of their own.
    That's great, Jean! I also mentioned in my letter that those protesters need to protest in their own countries and those countries need to take care of their own people. We cannot keep footing the bill for all the poor who break our laws, then wind up in our welfare system. This country will go broke if this continues.

mrmiata7, that's a great post! You hit the nail on the head

Wasn't enough space to say all I had to say!
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

We cannot as american citizens put ourselves in the shoes of the poor of all the countries of the world and say it is okay to sneak into our country because you do not like yours and are not willing to fight for it. Fight to make your country better and provide for the multiple children that you have. Have you ever heard of birth control? Why if you are poor do you keep having children that you cannot feed? We as american citizens are not here to educate, feed, provide medical care and social services to you or your children. Go Home!!!!
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn