Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

February 11, 2008
    Immigration bill will get a hearing in House
    By Dan McFeely
    dan.mcfeely@indystar.com

A controversial bill cracking down on illegal immigration in Indiana will be granted a hearing this week by House Speaker B. Patrick Bauer, D-South Bend.

The bill will be heard by the Public Policy Committee of the Indiana House or Representatives, according to State Sen. Mike Delph, R-Carmel.
    The hearing is likely to be Wednesday in the House chambers, but the Public Policy Committee, chaired by Rep. Trent Van Haaften, D-Mount Vernon, has not yet officially posted its calendar.

According to Delph, the bill is likely to have an appropriations measure added, meaning the bill will then be assigned a hearing in the House Ways and Means Committee.

"It will actually be heard by two committees, one this week and one, probably, the following week," said Delph.

Senate Bill 335 would penalize employers for hiring illegal immigrants, make it illegal to harbor an illegal immigrant and require the Indiana State Police to begin working with federal authorities to develop a process where local police can be trained to enforce federal immigration laws.
    The bill passed out of the Senate last month and needed to be heard by a House committee in order to advance.
    http://www.indystar.com:80/apps/pbcs.dl ... /802110410
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I just sent an email telling him I admired the stand he takes toward the illegal immigration problem.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by zeezil
    February 11, 2008
    Immigration bill will get a hearing in House
    By Dan McFeely
    dan.mcfeely@indystar.com

A controversial bill cracking down on illegal immigration in Indiana will be granted a hearing this week by House Speaker B. Patrick Bauer, D-South Bend.

The bill will be heard by the Public Policy Committee of the Indiana House or Representatives, according to State Sen. Mike Delph, R-Carmel.
    The hearing is likely to be Wednesday in the House chambers, but the Public Policy Committee, chaired by Rep. Trent Van Haaften, D-Mount Vernon, has not yet officially posted its calendar.

According to Delph, the bill is likely to have an appropriations measure added, meaning the bill will then be assigned a hearing in the House Ways and Means Committee.

"It will actually be heard by two committees, one this week and one, probably, the following week," said Delph.

Senate Bill 335 would penalize employers for hiring illegal immigrants, make it illegal to harbor an illegal immigrant and require the Indiana State Police to begin working with federal authorities to develop a process where local police can be trained to enforce federal immigration laws.
    The bill passed out of the Senate last month and needed to be heard by a House committee in order to advance.
    http://www.indystar.com:80/apps/pbcs.dl ... /802110410

This was a quote under comments that I fell in love with

Cricket 23

[I VOTED!]
    Comments: 1288
    Kansas City
    ISP Location: Onaga, KS

Reply »
    |
    Report Abuse
    |
    3 hrs ago

shaggyofdgi33 wrote:
    I am tired of the immigration debate. Don't forget, most of our relatives came to America, did not speak English, and were forced to work basic jobs that "established" Americans no longer wanted to do. That added to the cultural "melting pot" that America was supposed to be from the start.
    Yes, people do come here illegally, but can you really blame them? How many people crossed into Canada illegially to escape Vietnam? How many Irish came here to escape religious persecution and famine back home? How many Jews came here to escape the Holocaust? How many Poles came here to escape the brutality of Czarist and Soviet Russia?
    WHAT HAPPENED TO "GIVE ME YOUR TIRED, YOUR HUNGRY, YOUR POOR?"

"The inscription at the base of the Statute of Liberty concludes, "I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" It says nothing about welcoming people who bypass our entry doors by climbing walls, swimming rivers and sneaking under border fences."
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The Statue of Liberty

The Statue of Liberty was erected in 1886, when world population was little more than one billion and the U.S. population was 60 million. Many do not realize that the Statue of Liberty was a gift to the U.S. from France, with the title, "Liberty Enlightening the World".

A fund-raising exhibition and auction were set up. Many great writers and artists submitted their works to be auctioned. The list of writers included Mark Twain, Walt Whitman and John Burroughs. Emma was approached when she returned from her European trip to donate a poem.

She considered the statue as holding out her torch to the Russian refugees, who were so lost and frightened, yet full of hope. This is the sonnet called "The New Colossus."

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
    With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
    Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
    A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
    Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
    Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
    Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
    The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
    "Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
    With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Written in aid of Bartholdi Pedestal Fund 1883
    The collection of writings was sold for $1,500 which was enough to see the pedestal through its completion. Emma received an unexpected letter from James Russell Lowell who said, "I like your sonnet about the Statue much better than I like the Statue itself."

The matter does not end here. A woman named Georgina Schuyler was a patroness of the arts. She was browsing in a used book store in New York in 1903 when she came across the portfolio containing "The New Colossus." She was touched by the words and showed it to her friends. It was she that arranged to have the last five lines of the sonnet engraved on a plaque. The plaque was place inside the second story of the statue's pedestal with no ceremony or fanfare. It was on that unrecorded date that the Statue of Liberty was given its meaning:

Give me your tired, your poor,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

The Statue of Liberty is a monument dedicated to freedom and liberty and never meant that foreigners have the unconditional right to violate America's immigration laws. Probably the most misunderstood image in America she is burdened with more wrong ideas than any other symbol in our history. Lady Liberty was never designed as a welcome mat for immigrants. Yet open border advocates have hijacked her!

The statue is at heart a revolutionary symbol for the oppressed to throw off their chains and create their own democracy under law. The real name of the statue is "Liberty Enlightening the World" which states the true meaning. Indeed, the sculptor's intent was for the statue to inspire millions around the world to emulate the freedom of the United States, not to leave home and come here.

The Emma Lazarus poem, "The New Colossus" which is a hymn to immigration, is not inscribed on the base of the statue, as some would have us believe, and has no connection at all with the original virsion.

The Statue of Liberty's intent to inspire people to build their own democratic societies The huddled masses cannot all be saved by immigration to America. The rescue paradigm of immigration is clearly no longer appropriate, if it ever was. In fact, the "wretched refuse of your teeming shore" threatens to become a permanent underclass
    CherieDawn

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all dayÂ* ~grin

Re: The Statue of Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by CherieDawn
    The Statue of Liberty was erected in 1886, when world population was little more than one billion and the U.S. population was 60 million. Many do not realize that the Statue of Liberty was a gift to the U.S. from France, with the title, "Liberty Enlightening the World".

A fund-raising exhibition and auction were set up. Many great writers and artists submitted their works to be auctioned. The list of writers included Mark Twain, Walt Whitman and John Burroughs. Emma was approached when she returned from her European trip to donate a poem.

She considered the statue as holding out her torch to the Russian refugees, who were so lost and frightened, yet full of hope. This is the sonnet called "The New Colossus."

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
    With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
    Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
    A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
    Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
    Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
    Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
    The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
    "Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
    With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Written in aid of Bartholdi Pedestal Fund 1883
    The collection of writings was sold for $1,500 which was enough to see the pedestal through its completion. Emma received an unexpected letter from James Russell Lowell who said, "I like your sonnet about the Statue much better than I like the Statue itself."

The matter does not end here. A woman named Georgina Schuyler was a patroness of the arts. She was browsing in a used book store in New York in 1903 when she came across the portfolio containing "The New Colossus." She was touched by the words and showed it to her friends. It was she that arranged to have the last five lines of the sonnet engraved on a plaque. The plaque was place inside the second story of the statue's pedestal with no ceremony or fanfare. It was on that unrecorded date that the Statue of Liberty was given its meaning:

Give me your tired, your poor,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

The Statue of Liberty is a monument dedicated to freedom and liberty and never meant that foreigners have the unconditional right to violate America's immigration laws. Probably the most misunderstood image in America she is burdened with more wrong ideas than any other symbol in our history. Lady Liberty was never designed as a welcome mat for immigrants. Yet open border advocates have hijacked her!

The statue is at heart a revolutionary symbol for the oppressed to throw off their chains and create their own democracy under law. The real name of the statue is "Liberty Enlightening the World" which states the true meaning. Indeed, the sculptor's intent was for the statue to inspire millions around the world to emulate the freedom of the United States, not to leave home and come here.

The Emma Lazarus poem, "The New Colossus" which is a hymn to immigration, is not inscribed on the base of the statue, as some would have us believe, and has no connection at all with the original virsion.

The Statue of Liberty's intent to inspire people to build their own democratic societies The huddled masses cannot all be saved by immigration to America. The rescue paradigm of immigration is clearly no longer appropriate, if it ever was. In fact, the "wretched refuse of your teeming shore" threatens to become a permanent underclass
    WOW!!!!! very well written, I am in tearful awe!!!! WELCOME TO ALIPAC CherieDawn!!!

may I keep this?
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12