Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal immigrant campaigns for Texas A&M student body president

by Kevin Reece/KHOU 11 News
    khou.com
    Posted on February 29, 2012 at 12:01 AM
    Updated yesterday at 12:21 AM

Video at source

HOUSTON—In the final hours before the vote at Texas A&M for student body president, Jose Luis Zelaya shook a few more hands, asked for few more votes, and proudly explained to those who inquired why he can be an Aggie and an illegal immigrant.

Zelaya, 24, is a graduate education student in College Station. He came to the U.S. from Honduras with his mom when he was 14, graduated from Langham Creek High School in Houston and dreamed of being an Aggie from the first day his mom found an “Aggie Mom” t-shirt when, homeless, she stayed at an immigration shelter.

“I believe I was predestined to be an Aggie and it’s an honor,” he said. “I am willing to do everything, whatever it takes to be able to help the next generation to go to college, to motivate them. To tell them about a little kid who used to be homeless and is now in college.”

Zelaya attended Lone Star Community College in Cypress then transferred to A&M to complete his undergraduate degree. He and his family pay for his education a semester at a time. He even crochets and sells knit hats or beanies, often maroon and white, to help pay for his classes.

But can you be an Aggie and be an illegal immigrant? Yes, Texas law allows him to go to college. As of fall 2006, anyone who has lived in Texas for three years before graduating, or receiving a diploma equivalent from a high school, and has also lived in the state for a year prior to enrollment in college, qualifies for in-state tuition as a Texas resident.

But why run for student body president and announce to the world, and to immigration officials who could seek his deportation, that you are undocumented?

“To believe that you can do it,” he said. “I think that the risk is little when it comes to how much lives can be inspired and motivated.”

Not everyone has accepted his campaign to become student body president. He says there have been online death threats and plenty of Aggies and non-Aggies calling for his deportation. But Tuesday, on the final day of campaigning against the other five candidates, Zelaya found mostly acceptance.

“He’s done his time and done his work,” said student Caitlyn Thibodeaux. “He’s in school so I don’t have a problem with it.”

“ But I’m honestly surprised,” she said after learning of Zelaya’s candidacy for the first time.

“He’s accepted. He’s been through all the courses like everyone else has to, I don’t see why not,” added student Jazmine Jensen.

Zelaya hopes he can stay at A&M long enough to complete a PhD in education, secure his American citizenship, and begin his life as a school teacher. In the meantime he wears his Aggie ring proudly, except during tests, where he says he takes it off and places it at the top of his test to remind him of the Aggie ideals that guide him.

“Whenever I walk around campus and I see this amazing university, there’s so much love so much passion that I have for it and I just want to represent it. We’re not here to hurt the country, we’re here to give back to the country. I want to help—that’s all I want to do,” he said.

“Whether you’re undocumented, or gay or atheist you’re an Aggie,” he said. “And that’s what makes Texas A&M unique. We are a family.”

The top winners in the election for student body president will take part in a run-off election on March 1st.

Illegal immigrant campaigns for Texas A&M student body president | khou.com Houston
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Here we go again what part of "illegal" don't these people understand, nothing makes "illegal" LEGAL!!!!! Again Illegal is Illegal.

Undocumented immigrant out as A&M student president

chron.com
    By Susan Carroll
    Updated 09:18 a.m., Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Texas A&M student Jose Luis Zelaya, a native of Honduras, speaks during a demonstration in support of legalizing undocumented students on the campus of Texas A&M University Friday, April 15, 2011, in College Station.

An undocumented immigrant fell short in his bid to be the next student body president at Texas A&M University.

Jose Luis Zelaya, a 24-year-old graduate student who came to the United States illegally at age 14, said he finished fourth of six candidates, failing to earn enough votes to qualify for the runoff election scheduled for later this week.

Zelaya said that despite the loss, he won by having a chance to share his story of overcoming poverty, abuse and homelessness to graduate from a Houston-area high school and earn his undergraduate degree from A&M.

"Most importantly, we inspired a lot of people," he said.

"I don't need a title to make a difference," he added. "I don't need a title to serve this university."

Undocumented immigrant out as A&M student president - Houston Chronicle
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

An undocumented immigrant fell short in his bid to be the next student body president at Texas A&M University.

Maybe there is hope for the younger generation...