Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal immigrant recounts alleged rape by Border Patrol

http://www.valleymorningstar.com/news/a ... woman.html

Illegal immigrant recounts alleged rape by Border Patrol agent

February 26, 2009 - 9:10 AM
    By JEREMY ROEBUCK/The Monitor

EDINBURG - An illegal immigrant woman told jurors Wednesday that she feared no one would believe her when she accused a U.S. Border Patrol agent of rape.

Clenching her jaw and shaking back tears, the 39-year-old mother recounted the night more than two years ago that Agent Alberto Garcia allegedly pulled over her car, ordered her into his patrol unit and sexually assaulted her.

She reluctantly took her story to police, she said, only after her friends convinced her to do so.

"I felt badly because I came over to this country to get my children a better life," she said. "It's true about what they say - the price you pay is steep."

Her testimony came during the third day of the agent's trial on sexual assault charges. Prosecutors allege Garcia, 34, of McAllen, abused his position during the October 2007 encounter. The woman's name has been withheld because it is The Monitor's policy not to identify those who may be victims of sex crimes.

Garcia's defense, however, has maintained throughout the trial that the agent and his accuser had a prior sexual relationship. The woman flagged him down on the night in question and threatened to "cause trouble in his marriage" if he refused to have sex with him again, the agent first told police.

But the alleged victim, a Mexican national, denied that story Wednesday. She first met Garcia on Oct. 24, 2007, when he stopped her vehicle as she and a friend left a Las Milpas bar, she said.

The woman told jurors that Garcia had asked her what she could offer him after he determined she was in the country illegally.

"He (asked) if I knew that he could take me," the woman said. "I understood that to (mean) deported - to be thrown over to the other side."

Her companion that night - Susana Villanueva - also testified Wednesday that Garcia had sexually propositioned her, too, but that she had refused. The agent ordered her to wait in the car and turn off her lights, while he took her companion and drove to a secluded area.

Once there, Garcia allegedly forced himself upon the woman. After the encounter, he asked for his purported victim's phone number and then left her to return to her vehicle, the woman testified.

The agent never placed either woman under arrest or threatened them physically, but both said Wednesday that they felt intimidated by his status as an agent.

"A person like me without papers against an authority like him?" his accuser testified Wednesday, speaking through an interpreter. "I didn't know anybody. I was scared."

Her testimony ended the state's case against the agent but came after a day of surprises from outside the courtroom.

Wednesday morning, state District Judge Israel Ramon Jr. barred Garcia's mother from attending further testimony after a prosecutor alleged she had tried to coerce a juror into discussing the case.

The mother approached the juror in the bathroom, held out a Bible and showed her a photo of Garcia's son, said Graciela Saenz Reyna, an Hidalgo County assistant district attorney.

Reyna also accused Garcia of making threatening gestures at a U.S. Department of Homeland Security agent who had investigated the case against him.

Both Reyna and defense attorney Rey Merino said late Wednesday that they did not believe either issue would result in a mistrial.

Garcia's defense is expected to open its case this morning.

If convicted of sexual assault, he could face up to 20 years in prison and $10,000 in fines and would lose his job with the Border Patrol. He remains on suspension pending the outcome of the trial, agency officials said.

ELE

I don't believe her, etc.

Illegals are all such truthful people, so of course, we can believe her account.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We want all of our police to be held to very high standards, but are they really going to convict more Border Patrol agents or American citizens based strictly on the testimony of illegal aliens?

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I have $100 that says that this is the illegals new tactic. They have discovered that they can sneak drugs across the border, and put the people in jail that will stop you, AND get money from taxpayers to boot! Now, they are using rape stories? Oh cmon, seriously?
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&

The Border Patrol Agent didn't make any arrests, and admitted he had sex with the illegal alien, so I think he should be fired. I don't want BP agents messing around with illegals and letting them go, instead of arresting them and sending them home.

But
    Garcia's defense, however, has maintained throughout the trial that the agent and his accuser had a prior sexual relationship. The woman flagged him down on the night in question and threatened to "cause trouble in his marriage" if he refused to have sex with him again, the agent first told police.

But the alleged victim, a Mexican national, denied that story Wednesday. She first met Garcia on Oct. 24, 2007, when he stopped her vehicle as she and a friend left a Las Milpas bar, she said.
    If she didn't know him, I'm just curious how she knew his name. If he raped her, wouldn't he take off or cover up his name tag, and did his name tag have his first and last name on it? Did her attorney or someone else have to investigate to figure out who this guy was, or did she already know his name when she made the police report? If there was no investigation, and she already knew his name (rape victims don't usually notice things like name tags) chances are she set him up. He should still be fired having sex while on the clock. He's supposed to be arresting these fools, not messing around with them.