Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

illegal immigrant sentenced for death of infant

http://www.parsonssun.com/news/articles ... 2106.shtml
    death

By Jon Ruhlen

Parsons Sun

A Parsons man has been sentenced to six and a half years in prison for the death of his infant daughter.

Armando Hernandez Chavez, 25, pleaded no contest in Labette County District Court in May to second-degree murder. Second-degree murder is defined as not intentional, but reckless.

Hernandez had originally been charged with felony murder - murder that occurs as a result of another crime, in this case, child abuse.

Family members of Leslie A. Hernandez, the 7-month-old twin daughter who was killed, spoke during sentencing this morning.

Victoria Chavarria, the mother, wore a button on her shirt with a picture of Leslie and her twin sister, Gisselle, as she spoke, sometimes tearfully.

Chavarria said every time she looks at Gisselle she is reminded of her baby daughter who died.

"You don't have to wake up next to Gisselle every morning and wonder what Lexi would have looked like," Chavarria said to Hernandez. "You look like you don't care but that's OK because God will take care of you."

Chavarria was unable to continue speaking as she broke down in tears.

Paula Perez, a great-aunt of the infant, also spoke. She said it was not fair that Hernandez' parents would be able to see him but that Chavarria would not be able to see her baby girl.

"She'll never see her go to school, graduate, go to college and every morning she sees Gisselle and knows that you took her life," Perez said to Hernandez.

"God will punish you more than anyone," Perez said. "That's the one you've got to worry about because you killed your daughter. The one regret I have is that I ever let you in my house."

Hernandez' attorney, Michael Gayoso, then read a statement that Hernandez prepared. Gayoso said Hernandez wanted him to read the statement rather than attempt to address the court in Spanish and have his comments translated by the interpreter.

"This has been the most difficult time of my life," the statement read. "I loved my angel Lexi with all my heart and soul. One will never know what it is like to lose a daughter and then be accused of her death."

Hernandez' statement also said he chose to accept a plea agreement because he did not think he could get a fair trial from a Labette County jury because he does not speak English.

Hernandez said in the statement that because of the plea agreement he ends up losing both of his daughters.

"I want to apologize to my other angel, Gisselle, because she will not be able to grow up with a father," the statement said. "I want Gisselle to know I love her with all my heart."

Hernandez wiped tears from his eyes as Gayoso read the statement.

District Judge Robert Fleming sentenced Hernandez to six years in prison.

Hernandez will be given credit for a year already served in jail. He is also eligible for a reduction in sentence of up to 15 percent for good behavior.

Hernandez was arrested in June 2005 after Leslie died in a Kansas City hospital. Doctors told investigators that her injuries were consistent with shaken-baby syndrome.

According to Labette County Attorney Steven Wilhoft, Hernandez is an illegal immigrant and will be deported to Mexico after he is released from prison. He faces up to 10 years in federal prison if he returns to the U.S.

Wilhoft said the plea agreement was reached in cooperation with Leslie's family.

06/21/2006; 1:12:40 PM
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Stories like this really need to have diagrams and flow charts included so the reader can figure out who's who here.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.