Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal immigrant tuition discussed

http://www.connpost.com/ci_6033682?source=rss

HARTFORD — The Senate was expected Thursday night to debate a controversial bill that would allow children of illegal immigrants to attend state colleges and universities for in-state tuition.
    The chief legislative proponent of the bill, Rep. Felipe Reinoso, D-Bridgeport, predicted Thursday night that the measure would easily pass in the 36-member chamber, which is dominated by Democrats 24-12.

Reinoso, speaking at about 7 p.m., anticipated that the bill would reach the Senate floor after 9 p.m.

"We have over 20 votes at this point," Reinoso said in an interview outside the House. "I'm extremely pleased this bill is going to the Senate and grateful that Senate President Pro Tempore Donald Williams is supporting this."

Reinoso, a retired Bridgeport educator, said that he introduced the bill to provide hope for hard working city students whose parents are undocumented immigrants.

"It is so important to me because I want to help leave a legacy for our working kids, who truly deserve it," Reinoso said. "Now they can fulfill their dreams for higher education and go into professions."

On May 17, after a three-hour debate, the House voted 77-68 to approve the legislation, which would affect up to 250 students statewide each year. In-state tuition at community colleges is about $2,800, compared to $8,500 for out-of-state students, not including books and supplies.

"It's a narrow bill that's attempting to encourage kids who are here in Connecticut not because they did anything wrong," Sen. Jonathan A. Harris, D-West Hartford, co-chairman of the Human Services Committee.
    "They're already here and they're required to be educated in our public schools," Harris said. Eligible students will be required to have completed four years of high school, to be state residents and to have either registered with or enrolled in a state college or university.

"We've found that many of these young people simply can't afford it," Harris said. "This is not about trying to say it's appropriate to come here if you're undocumented," Harris said. "They're here because their parents came here and these kids have shown they're good students."
    "Ask not what your country can do for you --ask what you can do for your country" John F. Kennedy

It is so important to me because I want to help leave a legacy for our working kids, who truly deserve it," Reinoso said. "Now they can fulfill their dreams for higher education and go into professions."

This is great Felipe.....as long as you are willing to personally pay for all of these kids to go to college. Start saving...because we, the taxpayer, wont be paying for this.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

HOW MANY SO CALLED AMERICAN KIDS GO TO SCHOOL.......

FIRST OF ALL ARE AMERICAN KIDS DO NOT BELONG TO AN IMMGRANT PARENTS. THEN WHY MAKE ALL THIS NOISE FOR LEGAL AND ILLEGAL.

WE EVEN THOUGH ARE LEAGAL ALIEN AND PAY FOR YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICARE BENIFITS FROM OUR PAY, ARE U GONNA PAY US BACK, OR WHICH TO BE CALLED BEGGARS BEG MORE FROM US.

I'd reply to Teramaakochuda's post if I could figure out what the heck it was talking about.

"No child left behind" at its best.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)