Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal Immigrants Caught In Burke County, NC

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/sto ... 47fc9.html
    Eight illegal immigrants detained in Burke County

11:09 PM EST on Wednesday, November 9, 2005

By ANNA CROWLEY / 6NEWS

Burke County sheriff's deputies detained eight illegal immigrants Wednesday in Charlotte, after they were caught outside the city.

According to police, officer pulled over a van carrying the eight immigrants -- two of them minors -- for driving erratically. They were on a nationwide journey from Arizona to Atlanta, Savannah and North Carolina.

Sheriff John McDeavit expressed frustration with the lack of enforcement of federal immigration laws. Often, immigration officers are too busy to even respond to local requests, the sheriff said.

"[Illegal immigration] is not becoming a huge problem; it is a huge problem," McDeavit said. "What are we to do when they say, 'We can't get him, or we can't take them to them?' We have to turn them loose.

"Why should my county have to bear the brunt of the costs of housing? We have 250 beds in the jail, and I could fill them up working the interstate."

North Carolina Rep. Sue Myreck proposes taking the enforcement issue a step further. She proposes that the federal government cut transportation dollars to states that continue to grant drivers' licenses to illegal aliens.

Her proposal would not have affected today's detainment. No one in the van had a drivers' license, only IDs from Mexico.

This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow. This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow.
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"

Re: Illegal Immigrants Caught In Burke County, NC

The sheriff said it all right hereQuote)

Sheriff John McDeavit expressed frustration with the lack of enforcement of federal immigration laws. Often, immigration officers are too busy to even respond to local requests, the sheriff said.

"[Illegal immigration] is not becoming a huge problem; it is a huge problem," McDeavit said. "What are we to do when they say, 'We can't get him, or we can't take them to them?' We have to turn them loose.

This was the reason the last bunch of illegals picked up was turned loose. It caused such an outrage here in the surrounding counties. We need more immigration officers NOW, not later!
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"