Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member NoIllegalsAllowed's Avatar

(Illegal) Immigrants feel betrayed on legal status

Sunday, July 15, 2007

By SAMANTHA HENRY
    HERALD NEWS
    http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qst ... VFRXl5Mg==

Daniel Sanchez, a Mexican native who lives in Passaic, believed his shot at becoming a legal U.S. resident was in the hands of the American federal government.

Now, he's not so sure. Sanchez says he hoped that because he'd lived here for 20 years, learned English and paid taxes through a special IRS program, he'd be able to apply for a green card if Congress voted to overhaul the immigration system. When the recent reform bill died in Congress, possibly stalling the process for another few years, Sanchez was devastated.

"I had waited 20 years for this. You can't imagine how I felt," he said. "In 20 years, I haven't been back to my country; I haven't seen the face of my parents."

In the wake of congressional inaction, Sanchez -- one of an estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants in the U.S. -- as well as people on all sides of the immigration debate are wondering: what happens now?

In New Jersey, still one of the top five destination states for new immigrants, the lack of federal reform has left many municipalities grappling for solutions to immigration-related issues -- from Passaic, where the city has sanctioned a day laborer hiring center, to Freehold, where officials have vigorously fought one.

"Congress has given us a clear message: this is your problem at the local level -- we're not going to do anything about it," said Gustavo Ramirez, the director of the Immigration and American Citizenship Organization in Passaic. "We still believe that local pressure can make the federal government take action."

Ramirez, whose nonprofit organization helps immigrants applying for U.S. citizenship, joined several dozen other pro-immigrant groups from around the state in Paterson earlier this week to discuss what can be done at the local and state levels to keep momentum on the issue going. Mayors, police chiefs, church officials and immigrants alike are grappling with the same dilemma, now that the discussion has stalled in Congress.

Ramirez and others discussed how to continue lobbying for the passage of an immigration-related education bill called the Dream Act, which would allow undocumented students access to higher education and in-state tuition, and how to renew the push to secure driver's permits for people who fall short of current New Jersey license requirements. They also discussed sanctuary ordinances, such as one that passed recently in Prospect Park, by which a municipality prohibits law enforcement and social service providers from questioning a person's legal status.

Elsewhere in the state, municipalities are enacting ordinances of a different kind -- aimed more toward restricting an influx of newcomers. Riverside passed an ordinance levying fines on anyone who rented an apartment to or hired an undocumented immigrant, but it has been tied up in court challenges.

In Morristown, Mayor Donald Cresitello has applied to federal immigration authorities for permission to deputize the town's police force so they can enforce immigration rules.

"I think the only way an immigration policy can work, no mater how it's finally drawn up -- because you will never be able to secure the borders -- is by enforcement at the local level," Cresitello said. "Police, teachers in schools, those who provide social services, we're the ones who can see who in our area is illegal."

Cresitello said the state should be doing more to enforce existing labor laws, and cracking down on those who profit from illegal labor.

"By (the government) not acting, they've forced us to deal with the problems they don't give us the authority to deal with," he said. "They need to solve the problem, but in the end, it's pushed to the municipalities to deal with the costs of illegal immigration."

As immigrant advocacy groups push to keep the issue alive, those in favor of tighter restrictions are also turning to grassroots activism.

"People who are against illegal immigration and for legal immigration are now engaging this on the local level," said Robb Pearson of Mount Olive, the founder of a group called the ProAmerica Society. "It's becoming swiftly networked within states, and across states, and growing into an enormous effort that will gain traction very quickly."

Mayor Jose "Joey" Torres of Paterson, a city with a long history of immigration, said it's a problem best addressed at the federal level. Allowing each municipality to resolve the issue in its own way, he said, is a formula for chaos.

"When you do it on a local level, you have no consistency in the rules," Torres said. "When you have so many municipalities, how many different rules do you have: based on what side of the street you live on? Or your nationality? Or the color of your skin? Or political party? I don't see that as good governance."Mayor Samuel Rivera of Passaic said even when he has tried to take a hands-off approach and leave the issue up to federal authorities, they have not responded.

"We have no time, and no desire to deal with immigration issues," Rivera said. "The immigration department never extends you a helping hand, anyway, even if someone breaks the law. I've called INS before and they don't even come. When we've made an arrest with people selling false ID's or Social Security cards or papers -- they say it's not their issue."

Rivera, who addressed the growing day laborer population in his city by sanctioning a hiring center that opened six months ago, said he doesn't view that as an example of addressing a federal problem at the local level.

"That's a different issue, from my perspective," Rivera said. "It doesn't have to do with immigration. I'm just helping people who are human beings looking to make a living, who eat, and breathe, like I do."

For immigrants like Sanchez, who remains in legal limbo, the question of who will now decide the issue is worrying him.

"It feels like a dice game -- a gamble. They are tossing immigration reform around, and you don't know where it's going to land."

Reach Samantha Henry at 973-569-7172 or henrys@northjersey.com.

Free Ramos and Compean NOW!

I had waited 20 years for this. You can't imagine how I felt," he said. "In 20 years, I haven't been back to my country; I haven't seen the face of my parents."

I am going to forward your "Make a Wish" travel plans to our travel agent Mr ICE. I am sure they can arrange for you to see your parents
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I don't know how many more of these sad-sap stories I can stand to read.

YES...we know that you've been here 20 years and you're waiting for a miracle.

YES...we know that you just want to work hard and earn money so you can support your HUGE family.

YES...we know that you risked your life to get here and that you haven't been back to your home in years.

But...WE DON'T CARE. We've heard enough of this. We've HAD enough of this. GO BACK WHERE YOU CAME FROM AND CRY TO YOUR OWN GOVERMENT!! Get your people together and make a change in your own homeland!!!!!!!

Most Americans, while we pity you, we also see you as opportunistic freeloaders who really do nothing positive for the United States. You cause us more trouble than good. You lower our wages and take jobs away from Americans. You turn our neighborhoods into slums. You fill our prisons with child molesters, drunk drivers and gang members. You strain our social services, emergency rooms and public schools.

All the while crying, whining and begging.

I DON'T CARE!! JUST GO HOME!!!
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

Sanchez says he hoped that because he'd lived here for 20 years, learned English and paid taxes through a special IRS program,

WHAT IS THIS?????????????

WHY would the IRS set up a special accounting process for illegals? I'm going to check this out!

If he's been here 20 years why didn't he seek amnesty last time it was offered during Regan. Don't fly with me!

I bet he does not speak English either.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

Hey....wanna feel betrayed......try being a citizen....
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

That is too funny jimpasz! I will donate to the Make A Wish Foundation in his name.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

I'll be so KIND as to beleive these people were LIED to.....but PLEASE....this is 1 maybe 2 generations........This is my 3rd and we were NATIVE born.......lied to? The HUGE PROMISE of the BIG AMERICAN DREAM?????? Hey dude....been here and working AT it for DECADES>>>>>what? Noow just HAND it over? DON'T THINK SO>>>>>

What can I say??

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---- "ACTIVE PROJECTS"----PLEASE GET INVOLVED
    CALLING ALL ALIPACERS AND LOOKIE LOU'S DO YOU WANT OUR LAWS ENFORCED?
    PLEASE HELP! LINK BELOW!
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=74297
    Stop the "Dream Act" in-state tuition for illegals!
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=73960
    DIXIE NEEDS HELP ON A NEW PROJECT!!
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=73375
    ALIPAC needs donations to stay afloat and in the fight Please give what you can!!
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=C ... page&pid=9
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast