Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal immigrants get chance to leave U.S. voluntarily

Illegal immigrants get chance to leave U.S. voluntarily
    August 5th, 2008 @ 6:27am
    by Jim Cross/KTAR

Illegal immigrants who have deportation orders can now take advantage of a new ``Scheduled Departure" program.

Under the program, which started Tuesday, if they turn themselves in voluntarily, they get up to 90 days to take care of their affairs before leaving the United States.

The program offers no money and no path to citizenship, but allows illegal immigrants without criminal records to return to their home county without penalty.

Eduardo Preciado, assistant director of the Phoenix field office of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, said people in the program will get some help.

``Some of them may not have the means to return on their own to their country. We will work with them, we will work with the consular officials and make every effort to take care of their travel arrangements for them."

The pilot program is available in Phoenix and four other cities and will last 17 days.

``At the end of the three weeks, we will evaluate the program and see how successful it was," said Preciado. ``And it's possible that we may extend it if need be."

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who has adopted a tough stance against illegal immigration, said the program is not a bad idea.

``I know ICE is trying to do everything it can to get people to voluntarily be deported," said Arpaio. ``That's their program. I do a little different, but if they can give people a chance to go back to the country they came from, I don't think there's anything wrong with that."

Both sides of the heated immigration debate voiced skepticism about the program, saying it has no chance of success without some incentives for self-deporters.

Valley residents also are skeptical about whether illegal immigrants will take advantage of the program.

``I don't know if they'll enroll in the program, but I think they'll leave," said one woman.

A man said, ``They're not going to sign up for it. They came over illegally, they're not working with the system, why would they start working with the system all of a sudden?"

Another woman said, ``I'm not sure, but I guess if I was given that sort of amnesty for 90 days, I would definitely consider it."

Another man chimed in, ``I don't think they're going to sign up for this at all. I think they risked it all to get here and will risk it all to stay."

Other comments:

A woman: ``I think people would (sign up). Given the opportunity to go peacefully is almost like a no-brainer."

A man: ``They're here illegally, not paying taxes. Why would they enlist in something like that?"

A woman: ``I think they feel so desperate to be here so they could feed their families, I don't think they will."

http://ktar.com/?nid=6&sid=924279
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ELE

Lets do everything we can to get them out of our country

If you take away the catalyst for them being here....they will leave. We need to put into effect as many strategies to get them out of here as possible. And even mix and match strategies...move forward!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)