http://www.oscnewsgazette.com/index.php ... &sid=10503

Illegal immigration costs nation on many counts
14 Apr 2005
Both Worlds By Eduardo Montalvo

Last week I received a call from a reader in reference to my last article published about illegal immigration. This person interpreted that I was supporting the illegal immigration to this country.

On the contrary. I am firmly opposed to illegal immigration.

To illustrate my point of view, let’s start with the definition of illegal immigration:

First of all it is illegal, which means that it’s against the law. In other words, any person who immigrates into this country illegally or stays in it illegally is violating U.S. law, and, as a consequence of this, is committing a crime.

Millions of aliens are flagrantly violating our nation’s laws by unlawfully crossing U.S. borders. Such entry is a misdemeanor, but, if repeated, becomes punishable as a felony.

Illegal immigration costs us billions of dollars. It causes an enormous drain on public funds. A study found that the taxes paid by immigrants do not begin to cover the cost of services received by them. Quality education, health care and other services for Americans are undermined by the needs of millions of illegal entrants who are usually unskilled, illiterate and poor. Additionally, job competition by illegal immigrants for

low-end jobs depresses the wages and working conditions offered to American workers, especially

to those without high school diplomas.

Lastly, illegal immigration also contributes to the dramatic population growth overwhelming communities across America. Such is the case in Osceola County. Our overcrowded schools are suffering from the burden of this social phenomenon. They also consume our already limited affordable housing.

I believe illegal immigration is not beneficial for our country and I am opposed to it. There must be a comprehensive effort to end illegal immigration.

My message last was: If we leave our jobs vacant for someone else, they will be taken.

I think we must ensure that illegal aliens will not be able to obtain employment, or public services funded by taxpayers. Jobs and public services must be available only to those who are entitled to them.

What I’m saying is not cruel or against the human rights of the immigrants. This is the true essence of our national security plan.

Patrolling our borders and going to war in foreign countries is not sufficient to guarantee the security of our nation. We must pay attention to what is going on within our borders, in our towns and neighborhoods. We, the people of this country, have the duty to preserve what we have for future generations to come.

America is a generous land, home of millions of people who immigrated into this country looking for a better quality of life, but we need to stop illegal immigration before it’s too late.

We can’t pay the price of having more than 10 million and counting illegal immigrants living among us. It’s expensive and it hurts our nation.

Apologists for illegal immigration try to paint it as a victimless crime, but the fact is that illegal immigration causes substantial harm to American citizens and legal immigrants, particularly those in the most vulnerable sectors of our population.

I support legal immigration as a way to integrate people to this country. Legal immigration is beneficial and necessary.

Our nation needs thousands of qualified workers. Nurses, physicians, scientists and other professionals are constantly needed. We also need migrant workers to work in our fields. But all of them must come legally if they want to become part of this great project of a nation, still under construction, that we call America.

Eduardo Montalvo is an Osceola County real estate agent and regular contributor to Spanish language publications in Central Florida. Contact him at edmontalvo@comcast.net