Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal Immigration Debate Continues at RNC Meetings

Illegal Immigration Debate Continues at RNC Meetings
    by Shushannah Walshe
    MINNEAPOLIS–

Heated debate on illegal immigration continued at the RNC’s platform drafting committee meetings today. An amendment was proposed to deny citizenship to children born to illegal immigrants in the United States.

Kendal Unruh, a delegate from Colorado proposed the amendment and she introduced herself by saying she was from staunch illegal immigrant foe and former presidential candidate, Tom Tancredo’s district. She said that illegal immigration is the “number one issueâ€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The censes amendment failed but it was brought out they did not need the amendment because according to the law already, the only ones who can be counted is legal residence or U.S. citizens.

It states on the censes papers you fill out that if you are not a citizen it is against the law for you to be counted or fill out the paperst....

so I guess there is no need to stop ICE from enforcing the laws during the censes count.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

[quote]“We don’t have to be politically correct. We are Republicans!â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Sparks fly as GOP battles over 'amnesty,' 'anchor babies'
    Attempt to strengthen platform gives way to McCain's immigration positions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted: August 27, 2008
    6:42 pm Eastern

© 2008 WorldNetDaily

Republicans seeking to put more teeth in the party's immigration platform ran into opposition from delegates who largely argued they didn't want to conflict with Sen. John McCain's positions.

But the divide over hot-button topics such as "anchor babies" and "amnesty" was further complicated by McCain's public shift in the wake of his failed "comprehensive immigration reform" bill, with the presumptive Republican presidential candidate now acknowledging the strong mandate to emphasize securing the borders.

The platform will be put before the party's delegates for a vote on the opening day of the convention Monday in the Twin Cities.

Today, the platform committee voted down an amendment to deny citizenship to babies born in the U.S. to illegal immigrants, reported Stephen Spruiell on National Review's blog The Corner.

The sponsor of the amendment, activist Kendal Unruh of Castle Rock, Colo., explained that when she was sent to the committee "by the people, the number one issue on their minds was immigration."

"They told me, 'You must represent our values on immigration,'" she said.

Unruh rejected the argument McCain is opposed to any law that would eliminate anchor babies.

"Colorado is a swing state, and the number one issue that decides swing districts is illegal immigration," she said. "… McCain needs to win Colorado, and this is a winning issue for McCain in Colorado."

Opposing the amendment, platform delegate Charles Mifsud of Ohio didn't like McCain's position on illegal immigration, but he argued there are other ways to stop the anchor baby problem, Spruiell reported.

"Anchor babies are a symptom," Mifsud said, calling for a general crackdown on illegal immigration and for securing the borders.

"If we want to be tougher on immigration in this document, let's be tougher," he said.

Some opponents of the amendment cited former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who battled McCain for the nomination, saying the GOP is not a "mean-spirited party," and innocent children shouldn't have to pay for the mistakes of their parents.

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour said he opposed the amendment because McCain was opposed, according to Spruiell.

"A lot of people ask me why I came here," Barbour said. "I came here to help John McCain get elected president of the United States. John McCain and I may not agree on everything, but that's why I was sent here. John McCain says he opposes this law, and I'm not going to stick my finger in his eye by supporting it. This platform has the toughest illegal immigration plank ever. I oppose this amendment."

Spruiell said Barbour's speech got a round of applause, but not everyone agreed with it.

One delegate said afterward, "I'm not aiming at Sen. McCain's eye."

She tapped her temple.

"I'm aiming a little higher."

Code word for amnesty

Fox News reported sparks flew when the committee discussed the language surrounding the issue of amnesty.

The draft read, "We oppose amnesty," but delegates from North Carolina and Colorado, including Unruh, proposed an amendment establishing opposition to "comprehensive immigration reform," because they believe it is a code word for amnesty.

A delegate from Washington, D.C., Bud McFarlane, reacted, saying the Republican Party is a "not a xenophobic party, not an intolerant party. We are a compassionate party that follows the rule of law and endorses federal law."

The amendment failed.

Unruh, who said she wanted to keep "opposition to comprehensive immigration reform," apparently took offense, pointing to her missionary work and saying she would "never have the label" of xenophobic "slapped on me," Fox News reported.

Unruh pressed for adding tougher language to stop "behind the door tactics" to prevent "amnesty" of illegal aliens.

She argued that McCain's departure from his original immigration legislation was a good reason to add the opposition to comprehensive immigration reform.

"Our nominee has tried to use this language and he has now backed away," Unruh said. "If he has backed away from it, then I think it is OK to put it in writing."

McCain's bill provided a path to citizenship for 12 million illegal immigrants while taking measures to tighten the border.

The delegates from North Carolina and Colorado also wanted to strengthen the section on the English language, to make it the "official" language of the country.

The platform draft states English is the "common" and "accepted" language.

The Republican National Committee calls the platform drafting process its most transparent and open ever, with more than 12,000 submissions received from the public via YouTube.

http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=P ... geId=73579
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn