Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal Immigration Endgame

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3395977/

Immigration endgame

• April 7, 2006 | 12:22 AM ET

It's been immigration all week, and I managed to get Bill Frist on a podcast interview this morning. (Direct link here, dialup link here, iTunes link here). Frist was quite strongly against amnesty for illegals.

Now there's a compromise bill, but Mickey Kaus isn't very impressed. Frist, meanwhile, defends the compromise on his blog.

So where are we headed? I don't see the people who are angry about illegal immigration being satisfied with this compromise. That means it's likely to be a contentious issue going into the 2006 elections, and possibly even the 2008 elections. I suspect that we might see a third-party challenger in 2008, which would probably spell disaster for the GOP, though I suppose he/she could pick up some disaffected Democrats too.

As I've noted below, I'm somewhat conflicted on this issue, but the tendency to ignore the "illegal" part of illegal immigration seems like political dynamite to me.

Or maybe I should just sneak into the Senate chamber and start voting as an "undocumented Senator," one who's willing to "do the jobs American Senators won't do." It could be fun...
    <div>"True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else."
    - Clarence Darrow</div>

Re: Illegal Immigration Endgame

Quote Originally Posted by concernedmother
    Or maybe I should just sneak into the Senate chamber and start voting as an "undocumented Senator," one who's willing to "do the jobs American Senators won't do." It could be fun...
    Brilliant idea! They probably wouldn't notice, either. :P

If it's so easy to overlook an estimated 12 million ILLEGAL immigrants aka "undocumented workers" it's doubtful an "undocumented senator" will be deported. :P

Re: Illegal Immigration Endgame

Quote Originally Posted by MopheadBlue
    Quote Originally Posted by concernedmother
    Brilliant idea! They probably wouldn't notice, either. :P

If it's so easy to overlook an estimated 12 million ILLEGAL immigrants aka "undocumented workers" it's doubtful an "undocumented senator" will be deported. :P
    apparently it's easy to overlook 300 million citizens too -- if they think the voters turned out by the droves, stood in the rain and waited hours and even into the night to vote in 2004, just wait till they see what's in store for them THIS election . . .
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"