Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal immigration final issue in NC guv's race

Illegal immigration final issue in NC guv's race
    Monday, November 3 | 5:12 p.m.

By GARY D. ROBERTSON Associated Press Writer
    North Carolina's close campaign for governor between Beverly Perdue and Pat McCrory ended Monday the same way that it started - with allegations about illegal immigration.

Perdue, the Democratic nominee and lieutenant governor, said she had approved running 11th-hour ads to defend her record on illegal immigration after what she called several attacks. An arm of the Republican Governors Association criticized her this fall on the issue in a mailer addressed to her husband, Bob Eaves.

"Finally when it came to my own house, my own mailbox, addressed to Bob, enough is enough," she said on the final stop of her last day of campaigning, a restaurant in Raleigh's fashionable Five Points district. "So we set the record straight."

Perdue's campaign didn't immediately release recordings of the ads. The McCrory campaign provided what it called copies of two ads, which were scattered with Spanish phrases. The narrator in one ad accuses McCrory, Charlotte's mayor, of lying about Perdue's record and allowing illegal immigrants to work on big construction jobs in his city.

"It's time to say adios to Pat McCrory," the narrator says. A man in another ad says: "we'd be loco to vote for Pat McCrory."

McCrory campaign manager Richard Hudson called the ad "an outrageous, personal and racist attack."

"This is a despicable act of desperation by the lieutenant governor that marks a new low for North Carolina gubernatorial politics," he said.

McCrory's campaign talked up illegal immigration three days after he and Perdue won their respective primaries in May, accusing Perdue of supporting a policy that allows illegal immigrants to attend the state's community colleges.

But Perdue and McCrory both had said publicly that they had opposed the policy. A McCrory strategist said at the time that Perdue had failed to take action in her capacity as president of the state Senate or a member of the community college board to reverse the policy.

The mailer by the GOP governors group accused Perdue of "rolling out the red carpet for illegal immigrants" and supporting or voting for legislation that would have expanded benefits for them.

It was unclear late Monday where the radio ads were airing, but McCrory spokeswoman Amy Auth said his campaign staffers had heard the ads playing in eastern North Carolina.

The Perdue ads accused McCrory of saying that "the NASCAR Hall of Fame in Charlotte needed illegal workers to keep costs down." But Auth said the ad is untruthful.

In a 2006 interview with The Charlotte Observer, McCrory was asked whether the city could meet its $150 million budget on the Hall of Fame "without illegal immigrant workers?"

McCrory was quoted as saying: "I don't know. I would hope so. I think it could be. I'm making an assumption that the contractors we hire would be following the law."

Perdue and McCrory crisscrossed North Carolina on election eve Monday, trying to build up supporters and urging undecided voters to choose them to become the successor to Democratic Gov. Mike Easley.

Libertarian Mike Munger also is running.

http://www.columbian.com/article/20081103/APP/811031277
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Looks like a close race. Recent polls:

SurveyUSA: Perdue +1
    Research 2000: Perdue +5
    Associated Press/GfK: Tie

Current RCP Average (10/22 - 11/2): Perdue +2
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hey! That's my political language. I'm the guy that promoted the language "rolling out the red carpet for illegal immigrants" in this state. Funny how good ideas travel eh?

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

April
    Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC
    Hey! That's my political language. I'm the guy that promoted the language "rolling out the red carpet for illegal immigrants" in this state. Funny how good ideas travel eh?

W
    You are making a BIG difference W!

Illegal immigration final issue in gubernatorial race
    Monday, November 3 (updated 7:01 pm)
    By The Associated Press

RALEIGH (AP) - The campaign for governor between Beverly Perdue and Pat McCrory will end in the same way it started - with allegations about illegal immigration.

Perdue's campaign began running two radio ads Monday accusing McCrory of being soft on the issue.

Perdue said she approved the ads because the Republican Governors Association had attacked her on the issue with a mailer that was addressed to her husband.

The narrator in one ad accuses McCrory of lying about her record. A man in another ad said "we'd be loco to vote for Pat McCrory."

McCrory's campaign manager Richard Hudson called the ad "an outrageous, personal and racist attack."

A few days after the May primary, McCrory accused Perdue of failing to do enough about a state policy allowing illegal immigrants to attend community colleges.

www.news-record.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn