Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal Immigration Suppresses Wages

The biggest problem created by uncontrolled illegal immigration is wage suppression. According to economics professor George Borjas, immigration reduces the average annual earnings of U.S.-born men by an estimated $1,700, or roughly 4%. (See http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStor ... SFeeds0312 )
    If that reduction is applied to the roughly 143 million employed Americans, that reduces aggregate annual worker income by $243 billion, or $0.243 trillion. That's roughly 2% of our $12 trillion GDP. That's a loss in consumer spending of $243 billion (less taxes). Given that our entire GDP growth in 2005 was $384 billion, this is a significant amount. Considering that consumer spending is approximately 70% of GDP, that makes the "growth" in consumer spending around $269 billion.

Again, the loss of that $243 billion is no small amount. And it is also $243 billion less money that could have been taxed, costing the Federal government anywhere between $36-61 billion per year. (Increasing the taxable income of a single taxpayer making $42,500/year by $1700 increases Federal income tax by $425. Increasing taxable income of a married taxpayer filing making $42,500/year by $1700 increases Federal income tax by $255. Multiplying these numbers by 143 million amounts to $61 billion and $36 billion, respectively. Thus the income tax revenue lost is somewhere in between.)

Right-wingers will argue that this wage suppression is offset by business profits, and that these profits fuel investment. But investment capital is OVER-abundant at present. Increasing this excess even further will not result in more capital investment. It will result in higher CEO salaries, further overinvestment in the stock market, and further investment in foreign production facilities, the latter of which puts even further downward pressure on American wages.

Furthermore, business profits don't fuel consumer spending. And consumer spending is the engine that drives our economy, not investment. Without consumer spending, there are no returns on investment. And if no returns are anticipated on investment, no investment takes place.

The immigration-fueled reduction in wages does NOT help our economy. It hurts it. It reduces aggregate consumer income and the consumer spending it finances. The reduction in consumer spending reduces consumer production demand, further reducing demand for the labor to provide that production. The reduction in labor demand drives down employment and wages. The resultant labor demand reduction further reduces aggregate consumer income and further reduces consumer purchasing power.

As consumer buying power declines, so do investment opportunities, since those opportunities are created by consumer demand for production. Thus the increased profits resulting from reduction in labor costs create even more excess capital, while reducing investment opportunities still further.

Does anyone really think that wage suppression is "good" for the economy? Doesn't someone have to purchase the goods produced for business to profit? Won't reducing consumer income also reduce consumer goods purchasing? Won't a decline in consumer goods purchasing reduce business revenues and reduce potential profits? Once again, is immigration-fueled reduction in worker/consumer income really "good" for the economy?

unlawflcombatnt

EconomicPopulistCommentary

Economic Patriot Forum

Hello unlawfl,

Welcome and thanks for the great information.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Good Morning unlawfl.

Welcome. Being a bean counter (accountant), seeing figures like this just makes my blood boil.

Yet, there are those out there that claim that illegals are good for the economy.

Horse puckey

Welcome aboard Unlawful!

Once again, we have data proving immigration is BAD for the economy.
    Has anyone seen any legitimat evidence that immigration is good for the economy? I haven't seen it yet.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by sippy
    Welcome aboard Unlawful!

Once again, we have data proving immigration is BAD for the economy.
    Has anyone seen any legitimat evidence that immigration is good for the economy? I haven't seen it yet.
    Well Sippy, it's because"

(song) - "you're looking for love (good for the economy) in all the wrong places"!!

UNLAW.......WELCOME to Alipac!

Great post and much appreciated.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Chey,

that's probably true. I thought I was looking for it in the right places as well.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Borjas's original article & 4% wage suppression

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

I wanted to add a direct reference to the original article, which I apparently left out of my post. The direct link to Dr. Borjas's original article from 2004 is at: http://ksghome.harvard.edu/~GBorjas/Papers/cis504.pdf

unlawflcombatnt

Economic Patriot Forum

Borjas's original article & 4% wage suppression

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

I wanted to add a direct reference to the original article, which I apparently left out of my post. The direct link to Dr. Borjas's original article from 2004 is at: http://ksghome.harvard.edu/~GBorjas/Papers/cis504.pdf

unlawflcombatnt

Economic Patriot Forum